TB Delete Attachment Extension ( created !)

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

diePause,

Shoot, sorry bout that. ( "chrome://delattach/locale/delattach.dtd" )

It will be fixed by you for your localized versions I assume ?

I'll fix it and upload immediately
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

Sorry everyone,

because of that line diePause referred to, you will not be able to uninstall AttachmentTools 0.4.3 unless you
get the fixed XPI off of my site.

You can just install it over the top of the last one ( no need to uninstall the old one first, which is great cuz you can't anyway :wink: )
gbil

Post by gbil »

If I delete an Attachment in an IMAP folder the whole message is deleted and I get a new message saying that the attachment was deleted.
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

<sarcasm>Thanks for that quite verbose comment gbil. < /sarcasm >

Any other info you care to share with me please ? ( like attachment type, num of attachments, did the same happen if you moved the message to a non-IMAP folder etc )

EDIT : Could it be that the message you deleted the attachment from had no real body, it was just a blank message with a text/plain attached file ? That would produce the result you describe. But, I am only guessing since you provided soooo little info to go on.

You <b>DO</b> realize that AttachmentTools is a work in progress, don't you ? I can not forsee every possible scenario and depend on you, the users, for providing concise, descriptive and useful feedback on any problems you might have, so I may fix said problems. Obviously, I cannot fix those problems unless I know what I am dealing with.
gbil

Post by gbil »

ausdilecce wrote:<sarcasm>Thanks for that quite verbose comment gbil. < /sarcasm >

Any other info you care to share with me please ? ( like attachment type, num of attachments, did the same happen if you moved the message to a non-IMAP folder etc )

EDIT : Could it be that the message you deleted the attachment from had no real body, it was just a blank message with a text/plain attached file ? That would produce the result you describe. But, I am only guessing since you provided soooo little info to go on.

You <b>DO</b> realize that AttachmentTools is a work in progress, don't you ? I can not forsee every possible scenario and depend on you, the users, for providing concise, descriptive and useful feedback on any problems you might have, so I may fix said problems. Obviously, I cannot fix those problems unless I know what I am dealing with.

Hey you better relax a little bit! I didn't demand anything from you since I KNOW it is beta, so you should pay more attention on what you write!
TechFan

Post by TechFan »

I think all he is saying is "please give me more details, I can't find the problem with that much information".

Btw, I did delete one attachment from a message of 8 attachments. . .I haven't had a chance to test with a really large attachment yet.
gbil

Post by gbil »

TechFan wrote:I think all he is saying is "please give me more details, I can't find the problem with that much information".

I guess his "please" is :<sarcasm>Thanks for that quite verbose comment gbil. < /sarcasm > !

As I said, the messages were deleted and I got only a new message in the input, like this:

Code: Select all

Attachment was deleted, details are: 
Content_Type: Application/PDF; NAME="NPr.pdf"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: inline; FILENAME="NPr.pdf"

--Part10405051422.L--

The original message had body, it was NOT blank, 1 attachment which in this case as you can see was a pdf file. In the other 2 emails, the attachment were a pdf and a doc file. For each deleted mail what was left in the Inbox was a email like the above, naming just the attachment.
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

gbil,

Please, can you send the original message (from the trash, if you didn't empty the trash ) and the new message so I can possibly see what happened.

Please sent these two messages to the 'comments' link under the download 0.4.3 link on http://www.supportware.net/mozilla/#ext9

Thank you

PS In case you are worried about proprietary info or privacy. Just:
1) copy those messages to a newly created non-imap folder.
2) then navigate to that non-imap folder outside of TB ( with your OS ),
3) open the file that is named what you named the new folder (not the file with the .msf extension) with a text editor
4) modify ( but do not delete entirely ) the proprietary/personal info
5) save that file
6) zip up that file
7) attach it to a message to the address I mentioned above

Cheers
gbil

Post by gbil »

They didn't go to trash (I assume you are talking for the Local Folders Trash), they were just deleted, so maybe the thing is that it couldn't move them to trash?
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

Whilst doing my testing, I made sure that my extension threw the originals into the IMAP account's trash folder ( just in case things went wrong)

If any of the steps the extension takes to complete an operation fail, the extension will stop all activity at that point.
So say the extension cannot copy the original to the trash, (step 3 of 10 ), it will not do step 4-forceDBclosed ( or the rest of the steps )

So it *must* have sent the original to the trash if all operations completed.

Do you have your IMAP account set to 'empty trash on exit' ?
gbil

Post by gbil »

I found the problem! I haven't set 'empty trash on exit' BUT I had set "When I delete a messege: Remove it immediately" instead of "Move it to trash".
So now the message is not tottaly lost, it goes to Trash, but it is completely deleted from Inbox. At least now I can send you what you asked but I will probably do it tomorrow cause now it is 1:30am and I have exams tomorrow!
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

No probs,

Good luck on your exams then

GET SOME SLEEP hehe
build

Post by build »

Thanks for the nice extension.

Can I suggest, after deleting an attachment, the selected massage is again selected instead of having to scroll back and find it.

cheers,
build
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

Build, if you go back a couple of pages in this thread, you will see why that is a difficult thing to do.

Basically, the message index number ( the unique key that TB uses to identify one particular message ) changes when AttachmentTools does its thing and TB does not tell us what that new key is .. so I cannot reliably select the correct message once the operation is done.

I would love to figure out a workaround cuz I hate that ( correct message not remaining selected) too.
TechFan

Post by TechFan »

Maybe you could select based on a search of sender and date or some combination like that? I don't know what your options are, but it seems like that could be an option.