TB Delete Attachment Extension ( created !)

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
rabideau

Post by rabideau »

I get some funky errors that indicate there are either pre-existing or missing folder requirements. I have tried zapping and deleteing the messages seem to be the same. I'll reinstall the extension and provide the actual error messages if that would be of value.

...mark
...mark
mjackson

Post by mjackson »

TB 1.0RC1 found TBDAE 0.4.8 incompatible, so I just installed 0.4.9. This deletes attachments OK - at least the attachment window disappears, and File -> Attachments is greyed out when the message is selected - but the attachments flag (paper clip) still appears for such messages in the TOC window, even after moving the message to another folder, compacting folders, etc> Suggestions?

(Contributed build of TB 1.0RC1 on SPARC Solaris 5.8)
An ideology has axioms and algorithms; a view of life has approaches and approximations. - Adam Gopnik
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

mJackson,

You are absolutely correct. The paperclip icon still appears after 'zapping' all attachments on a message. It seems that the reason this happens is due to the way TB now figures out if a message has an attachment. I *think* it now looks for 'multipart' and, if found, will enable the paperclip, regardless of if the message in fact has any info in the second ( or subsequent ) parts.. Whereas before, it would check for data in the subequent parts..

I guess I now have to figure out a workaround..

Thanks for the feedback tho..

Cheers
cycletourist

Chrome Registration Failed - upgrading to 0.4.9

Post by cycletourist »

Yikes. Major error - but at least I was able to resolve it.

I had Attachment Tools 0.4.8a installed in Thunderbird 0.8. I downloaded the 0.4.9 version, went to the extension manager and installed 0.4.9 (Was this my problem. Do I need to uninstall first?).

I closed Thunderbird, and when I reopened it I got a message saying something about ... still installing an extension .... and then this error:

Chrome Registration failed for Extension '{8AB1DE91-9CB9-46b0-B68B-016B192D539B}' when calling nsIXULChromeRegistry::installPackage with this chrome path: jar:file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Anderson/Application%20Data/Thunderbird/Profiles/
xxxxxxx/extensions/%7B8AB1DE91-9CB9-46b0-B68B-016B192D539B%7D/chrome/delattach.jar!/
content/delattach/ (profile extension = true). Perhaps this path does not exist within the chrome JAR file, or the contents.rdf file at that location is malformed?

After I closed the error message Thunderbird opened but was nearly blank (no folders - messages - no content at all). (That's the Yikes! part Ǒ¿Ǒ )

Thank goodness I had a back up of my Thunderbird folder from a week ago. The error message indicated that I might try copying the backup of the "extension" folder back in to TBird. When I did - Pshew! - everything came back. I then went to the extension manager, uninstalled 0.4.8a, closed Thunderbird, reopoened, installed 0.4.9, closed Thunderbird again, and when I reopened it - voila! Thunderbird appears normal (all system a-ok) and I have 0.4.9 installed.

Did I do something wrong (installing over the old version)?

Does the error indicate what may have gone wrong otherwise?

Chuck
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

Yea, it looks like you need to uninstall the previous version first. That might be due to a bug in TB 0.8 tho... I don't have this problem with TB 1.0.

But -- kudos on staying calm and working it out...
luv4rice

Post by luv4rice »

I just installed this xpi but when I delete the attachments from a message the whole message is deleted. I was hoping by now it would work on a mapi server but that is obviously not true ;-)
Really really looking for a way to detach attachments from messages without losing the message!
unisai

Post by unisai »

Hey folks,

I ve got a problem here:

after installing the extension, I reboot thunderbird:

First, I had new menu entrys, and when I tried to "import attachment to the folder", I could see in the status bar that the extension was trying to do something (creating temp folder. etc). But nothing happend, it seemed to cancel during process.

Then I reboot again, and suddenly, the import worked. Now, I can import the attachment to the active folder.
BUT, I can NOT delete any attachment. I tried several times, by clicking in the menu, by right clicking the file... again: extensions creates a temp folder or so, and then thunderbird windows "blink" and nothing has happend.

any idea?
mfg sai
"mfg" is german, don't pay attention to that.
unisai

Post by unisai »

me again...

very weird, now everything works just fine...

the extension probably needed a few hundred reboots, to get used to my pc?!?!

mfg sai
"mfg" is german, don't pay attention to that.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

yksin

Post by yksin »

luv4rice wrote:I just installed this xpi but when I delete the attachments from a message the whole message is deleted. I was hoping by now it would work on a mapi server but that is obviously not true ;-)
Really really looking for a way to detach attachments from messages without losing the message!

Yep same problem here: the extension does a nice job saving the attachment where I want to when I zap or delete the attachment -- but it also tosses the message in the trash, when I'd rather keep it.

Not really much different from saving the attachment down myself & then deleting the message, which I can do just fine without this extension.

:(

-- yksin
cycletourist

Strange text after deleting attachments

Post by cycletourist »

I love this extension - use it all the time.

Today I saw something new. After deleting attachments from en email, the text left at the bottom recording the attachment data looks like this:

ÛZržžÜ±×¥z×
mjackson

What about TB 1.5?

Post by mjackson »

One of the new features in TB 1.5 is deleting attachments. However there doesn't appear to be support for zapping them, nor for some of the other useful features of this particular extension. Are there plans for a new release to fill in the gaps left by 1.5?
An ideology has axioms and algorithms; a view of life has approaches and approximations. - Adam Gopnik
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

Please NOTE.

this extension and TB's new attachment features *could* conflict.. I have made many attempts to prevent this, of course, but as the core code changes (new TB versions ) - conflicts can arise...

As some of you might realize, I have several extensions to try to maintain.. and I cannot test for every possible case on every new interim version of TB - ( too hard basket )

All I can say is, if you can be patient - great.. If not - sorry.

I am currently very involved in a real-money project and have precious little time to work on TB extensions - for this I apologize.

I will hopefully be done with that soon and be back maintaining my extensions

Thanks for the support

Cheers
cwitt

Post by cwitt »

A quick question ausdilecce ..

I've been testing your tool (awsome btw). But on each message i get an error window saying it was un able to save the attachment.. only i'm not saving it. I'm trying to delete it.