TB Delete Attachment Extension ( created !)

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

OK, I managed to save the thread pane's current index (selected row) attribute and then reset the thread pane selection based on that following a sucessful completion of the operation.

The thing is that I reset the thread pane selection after a timout (3 sec) but on folders that have many messages, it takes alot longer than that to rebuild the MSF file ( which MUST be done ) .

So... it is still possible that the 'correct' message will still not be selected (remote chance)

I tested it on a folder that was 35 Mb, deleting a 3 Mb attachment and it <b>did</b> select the correct message...
TechFan

Post by TechFan »

Nice. Is rebuilding the entire MSF a requirement? I am just wondering how Outlook implements it so fast adn the deleted item stays right next to it. . .
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

Also, TriEnt suggested a 'detach' option, whereby the attachment you are going to delete woul be saved to a folder you specify in prefs

I am working on that very thing at the moment. It does work but throws up some funny XUL artifacts.

TriEnt also suggested saving the file size of a deleted/zapped attachment. That works too

Once those two suggestions are fully tested and working <b>without</b> artifacts, I will release 0.4.4 which will include (so far)
1) the reselect algorithm I mentioned in my previous post
2) a real settings panel where one can input and modify <b>all</b> of the prefs for AttachmentTools
3) a detach Attachment right-click option ( need advice on zap/detach or delete/attach menu wording )
4) a 'include file size' option for attachment summaries

Cheers
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

TechFan wrote:Nice. Is rebuilding the entire MSF a requirement? I am just wondering how Outlook implements it so fast adn the deleted item stays right next to it. . .

Techfan, Outlook is a different animal.

Your comment is like saying
how can a Porsche with a 6 cyl engine be as fast (or faster) then a Corvette with a V8
:wink:

EDIT: And yes, rebuilding the MSF *is* a requirement.
TriEnt

Post by TriEnt »

Ha! Isn't this just great news?

ausdilecce wrote:Also, TriEnt suggested a 'detach' option, whereby the attachment you are going to delete woul be saved to a folder you specify in prefs

I am working on that very thing at the moment. It does work but throws up some funny XUL artifacts.

Instead of using a pref folder, can you just prompt the "save as" (or "save all") dialog so that the user can choose the location him/herself?

ausdilecce wrote:TriEnt also suggested saving the file size of a deleted/zapped attachment. That works too

How did you do it? Last time it seemed impossible... ;-)

Cheers!
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

Yea Yea Yea

I don't recall that I said it was impossible. :wink: ..
I did it the way I said I would have to ..
1) save the attachment,
2) get the size,
3) delete the file

But I thought, well if we are going to save the attachment anyway, might as well give the user the chance to save it ( detach )
so, in effect, they go hand in hand.
I did have to play some games with timing as TB starts a new thread to save the attachment so the filesize is NOT immediately available to me
so I really don't look at the size of the file until much much later ( when attachment stripping is happening ).
It is at that point that I can either delete or NOT delete the file ( hence detach )

Can we say we were both right ? :wink:
MrWilloby

Post by MrWilloby »

ausdilecce is awesome.
jimmy73

Post by jimmy73 »

He is 112 percent!

Four hours more and I am at home, trying out the new XPI :-)
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

I'm coming in late here, but what is the purpose of this extension? I read what it does, but haven't really seen the "why" of it.

It looks like you put a lot of work into this, and I am wondering if it has any utility for me.

Thanks.
jimmy73

Post by jimmy73 »

@sasquatch:
Hmmm. Maybe you should read the thread once again?

The "main thing" is that we are now able to delete attachements of mails. Often attachements aren't very important (for example a vcard) and/or need much place on your harddisk (a huge BMP a "good fellow" sends you). So, you delete the mail (with the att.). BUT sometimes the text in the mail body itself is something you wanna keep (for example someting really important ending with: For a good laugh after work I included the following Powerpoint presentation. It has just 17 MB...). Until now you had to keep the huge mail because you couldn't detach the attachement. - Now you can!
For me - and I think many other user - this is a "killer XPI"! The function of deleting attachements was my only reason to use Outlook (till now!!).
The "add-on" function of EML-import is quit useful for users how have some EMLs they wanna (guess...) import :-)

So, give the XPI a try!

Jimmy73
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

Good on ya Jimmy73, couldn't have said it better myself.

Sasquatch. click on the link in my sig to go to my site. Then click on the AttachmentTools extension link on the left .. That will give you the featureset list of the xpi

Cheers
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

I'm not so sure I see the need of it. Heck, my hard drive is 40G I think, not much of a worry there.

The odd thing is that I have some older emails I wish I still had working attachments. It just show up with missing file or something. Another ironic part is that you mention the "vcard". Isn't that the very thing the Mozilla guys are trying to get working better as we type this? http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=76000

Thanks for the overview, though. For some reason, this interests me, but I don't know why. It sounds like it could be useful for something...

Thanks again.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

ausdilecce wrote:Good on ya Jimmy73, couldn't have said it better myself.

Sasquatch. click on the link in my sig to go to my site. Then click on the AttachmentTools extension link on the left .. That will give you the featureset list of the xpi

Cheers

What link? I don't see "sig". In your profile?
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

OK, you obviously have not enabled display of other peoples sigs in this forum

its --> www.supportware.net/mozilla

You must use a mozilla based browser ( opera and IE will NOT work)
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

ausdilecce wrote:OK, you obviously have not enabled display of other peoples sigs in this forum

its --> www.supportware.net/mozilla

You must use a mozilla based browser ( opera and IE will NOT work)

Nice stuff! A lot of those should just be a part of the main email application.