Regarding "SearchPlugins"

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
MetaCosm

Regarding "SearchPlugins"

Post by MetaCosm »

I was just wondering if there was a place where people could post the searchplugins that they build. They are so simple to build, it seems that very quickly there will be hundreds of them. I have already created ones for searching penny-arcade, dictionary.com (dictionary and thesaurus section) and a few other sites.

If there isn't, do you think it would be worthwhile to have one? I was also wondering how tough it would be to build a little XPInstaller for the SearchPlugins(downloading the two files to the searchplugins dir should do it) so that a site owner could simply have a link on his site to let people add a SearchPlugin to Pheonix. Anyway to get Phoenix to notice the new searchplugin without a restart?
ishopnude_com

Post by ishopnude_com »

The plugins at http://mycroft.mozdev.org USED to work for me.. but they don't seem to anymore. Nobody else seems know (or care) about them so I have no solution. Do those work for you?

I'd like to have them back. The ones you have also sound interesting..
asa

Post by asa »

ishopnude_com wrote:The plugins at http://mycroft.mozdev.org USED to work for me.. but they don't seem to anymore. Nobody else seems know (or care) about them so I have no solution. Do those work for you?

I'd like to have them back. The ones you have also sound interesting..

They seem to work fine for me. I just installed google groups and google news plus yahoo, teoma, metacrawler and dogpile. I did a search for "mozilla" using each one and they all worked perfectly.

--Asa
"You'd PAY to know what you REALLY think." --Dobbs 1961
Insurgent

Re: Regarding "SearchPlugins"

Post by Insurgent »

MetaCosm wrote:I was just wondering if there was a place where people could post the searchplugins that they build. They are so simple to build, it seems that very quickly there will be hundreds of them. I have already created ones for searching penny-arcade, dictionary.com (dictionary and thesaurus section) and a few other sites.

If there isn't, do you think it would be worthwhile to have one? I was also wondering how tough it would be to build a little XPInstaller for the SearchPlugins(downloading the two files to the searchplugins dir should do it) so that a site owner could simply have a link on his site to let people add a SearchPlugin to Pheonix. Anyway to get Phoenix to notice the new searchplugin without a restart?

If you're talking about "keyword" bookmark searches you could just post the URL's you've made here.
If you're talking about the Mycroft Sherlock items on the search bar then the contribution information is here: <a href="http://mycroft.mozdev.org/contribute.html">Contributors</a>
You also find documentation and other info there.