Window-Q 0.1 d10 (complete single-window)

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
rue

Post by rue »

ieremiou + sasquatch:
SingleWindow's js-code is a straight-copy of Window-Q d7. So is TBP's. There was much incomplete at that point, but I wasnt expecting to continue development; others were encouraged to copy.
--
aliumalik:
The complete pref-honouring list:<blockquote>browser.tabs.opentabfor.windowopen + _sized / unsized
browser.tabs.opentabfor.middleclick
ui.key.saveLink.shift
browser.tabs.loadInBackground
browser.block.target_new_window
</blockquote> Only request #3 (search-results) isn't handled. That's probably best left to another extension.
--
Everyone:
As noted by kstahl and f4lc0n: Gmail is failing middle-clicks under firefox; + the JS-execution scope needs tweaking.
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

aliumalik wrote:rue can you release a version without the JS compatibility? I am requesting this because TBP is making my browser crash and SingleWindow is no good so untill the JS problems are sorted out epople can use that version.
Thanks

Huh?

Please, elaborate elsewhere on your crashing issues!
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

While not a crasher, here is one bug already mentioned: http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=246078
f4lc0n

Post by f4lc0n »

I found another bug with regards to js handling. Middling clicking one of the pictures here: http://eng.iaudio.com/zeroboard/product ... &id=cw5006 results in 2 new tabs, the popup and a copy of the site which was middle clicked.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050226 Firefox/1.0.1 (stipe)
Parkotron

Post by Parkotron »

Excellent work, rue. Those sized popups are ridiculously impressive.

I was just about to post a feature request, but I then read your last post. I had no idea there were so many prefs that could be set, one of which neatly solved my request.

So I guess my new question is: Is there a options UI in the works? You said yourself that "Window-Q's functionality is complete." I'd say now would be the perfect time to whip out a new user friendly prefs screen.

Congratulations, you may now be the proud author of Firefox's most useful extension (provided that these small bugs that keep popping up can all be squished.)
rue

Post by rue »

d11 pass9: <a href="http://www.eschew.org/misc/firefox/index.php?dir=&file=windowq-01-dev.xpi">Installer</a>.
Mini-Changelog wrote: onclick / js-link scope issues: resolved
name-anchor handling: sandboxed
--
f4lc0n:
CNN and iAudio now work. For iAudio, the issue was: Window-Q correctly cascaded from onclick -> href, honouring the middle-click to open new each time. That site was relying on the name-anchor to simply scroll the page -- not direct to a new page. Window-Q now ignores the name-anchor if any js-code has already opened a new tab.
--
sasquatch:
Were you.. hoping Window-Q would fix that? :P It's a browser-bug, and occurs outside our intended-scope. We're only sandboxing link-surfing -- explicit new windows are allowed.
--
Parkotron:
I think I will land a settings-UI. Initially, one of the goals was not to have one, but we honour a lot of prefs, now. On first-run, they're all pre-configured to my design.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

I really like the popups being handled rue, but is there any change you'll make a regular click open popup links in a new tab by default? While I can right click and open in a new tab, it feels counter-intuitive to have a popup replacing the parent page by default... IMO it should be in a new tab which is then focussed.

Apologies if this has been brought up / dealt with by a hidden pref... It's too late at night for me to read all of the development of this extension which I haven't been following until 20 minutes ago ;)
rue

Post by rue »

Regarding GMail:
GMail's navigation-linking cannot be caught. It uses styled text and event listeners to create smoke-and-mirrors "page links". They aren't links, and GMail swallows the events. To navigate, use left-click. Hold down shift to open new.
--
Cusser:
Middle-click always opens new -- GMail being the unique exception. Unless you wouldn't mind an overload on browser.block.target_new_window, I'll have to add a new pref. Presently, that one routes external links.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Well, I was thinking from a user complexity point of view, left clicking used to launch a popup which sat above the previous page, doing so now changes the page altogether. It might be best to have a new pref as you suggest.

As for GMail... Sure, it's innovative and has some good concepts, but it's execution is a damn disgrace. Whoever though up the styled text for links concept should be severely thrashed. I would leave it up to a standalone extension to cope with it's inadequacies in design.
ieremiou

Post by ieremiou »

I know I've asked this in several places but is there any chance of adding something to the fact of opening Bookmarks into a new tab?
I've only seen one program achieve this successfully and that was TBE but on the nightlies TBE slows down FireFox's loading abilities probably due to the weight of its usage of Javascript. Is there any hope to find an extension that will let me do this one simple function. I don't like using my middlebutton constantly. It's not really a real button anyways, it's a mouse wheel with the alternate function of being a button.

EDIT: Plus I'd have to change my mouse prefrences to make any good use out of the Middle-Click features because I tend to use Universal Scroll.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20050922 Firefox/1.6a1 - Build ID: 2005092210
f4lc0n

Post by f4lc0n »

Not all left clicks are opened in the current tab, forum links like this: www.google.ca will open in a new tab.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050226 Firefox/1.0.1 (stipe)
soccer_dude182

Post by soccer_dude182 »

I can't seem to open the links on [url=forums.anandtech.com]Anandtech Forums[/url], specifically the buttons on the top (help, search, faq, etc). Is anyone else having these problems? I used a new profile and am using the latest version of the extension.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040728 Firefox/0.9.1+
kstahl

Post by kstahl »

rue,

Am I correct in assuming that the goal of Window-Q is to always provide a consistent handling of links, no matter what kind of link it is? Left-Click will should always open in the same tab, Middle-Click always in a new tab, etc.
Foxtrot

Post by Foxtrot »

I've tried Window-Q, and have gone back to SingleWindow. Here are my 'constructive' reasons:

1. My mouse doesn't have a middle click, which meant that if I wanted a new tab, I'd have to use the context menu, which is slow.
2. SingleWindow looks at the link and automatically determines whether to open a new tab or use the same window, and thus accepts directions from the site itself. This makes for example forums like this one easier to use, because the smilies menu opens as a popup by default, instead of moving you from the reply menu to the smilies menu.

Except for that, it was just that, as Window-Q is still under development, it is a bit buggy, which made some tasks like editing my site difficult. SingleWindow has less consistent behaviour, and occasionally throws new windows at you, but that's fine with me as it's very good otherwise.

I think the latest version I've tried is d11 pass8, by the way, if that helps.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." -Douglas Adams
rue

Post by rue »

Everyone:
pass10: Left-click + Script-link -> new tab. This "restores" traditional behaviour, and can be changed via browser.block.javascript_new_window. Cusser was right- this is how users expect to navigate.
--
Foxtrot:
Re 1: Shift+click -> new tab.
Re 2: See above, since this is no longer default-behaviour. Post any bugs -- I'll fix them.
--
soccer_dude:
The next update will fix that. It will also fix GMail, which held a few more surprises..
--
f4lc0n:
It sounds like you've somehow changed this pref: browser.block.target_new_window
--
ieremiou + aliumalik:
In the silent-update for pass10: bookmarks + searchResults can now spawn new tabs:
browser.tabs.opentabfor.bookmarks + search