Any site to test push notifications in Nightly for desktop?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
darkred

Any site to test push notifications in Nightly for desktop?

Post by darkred »

Do you know any site to test push notifications in Nightly for desktop?
(bugzilla entry for this feature: Bug 1153503 - Enable push notifications on Nightly / DevTools)

PS. I had found this site
but works only in Chrome.
'(Firefox for desktop) list fixed bugs in Mercurial' userscript:
as a list: v4.2.2 and, as a sortable table: either v5.5.4 (for all channel users) or v5.5.4 (especially for inbound users).
My other userscripts: GreasyFork OpenUserJS
Romani

Re: Any site to test push notifications in Nightly for deskt

Post by Romani »

This feature is broken, not really working. even if it would, there is no UI in Firefox to allow sites to use it.
darkred

Post by darkred »

Thanks for your reply.
as a list: v4.2.2 and, as a sortable table: either v5.5.4 (for all channel users) or v5.5.4 (especially for inbound users).
darkred

Post by darkred »

This feature has been implemented since Firefox 44.
Do you know any site that offers push notifications?
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

Well, the only website I know is lenta.ru, russian news website. As soon as I open this page...
https://lenta.ru/articles/2016/04/19/miss/
...I get this message:
Sorry for my poor English.
Fanolian

Post by Fanolian »

Is this what you are looking for?
http://i.imgur.com/kV80GlI.png

You can enable it in Google Calendar via its Lab (Gentle Notifications) and then in General Settings (Show floating desktop notifications).

But I think it only works when the Calendar page is opened. The notification also disappears after around 10s without any interaction (I may have hovered on it but that shouldn't count?).

You can test it by creating an event and add a pop-up notification to it. (In the web version of Calendar, the shortest notification period is 1 day. You may want to add the event in its mobile app, or other compatible software, which provides more options.)
darkred

Post by darkred »

To summarize my findings on the subject:

there are 2 kinds of notifications:
  1. Desktop(web) notifications, and
  2. Push notifications
Desktop notifications is just a popup notification that is displayed when e.g. you've got a new mail (in the already tab of e.g. gmail or calendar).

Push notifications are:
This is similar to Web notifications, except now you can receive notifications for websites even when they’re not loaded in a tab.
This is super useful for websites like email, weather, social networks and shopping, which you might check frequently for updates.
(source)

Both require the user to allow notifications (the prompt to allow them is the same in both cases),
and the interface in FIrefox to manage both kinds notifications is also the same (about:preferences#content|Notifications),
but Push notifications also involve registering a service worker (which then can be managed via about:serviceworkers) + subscribing to Push notifications (push messaging).

I have only found this test page by mozilla to test both kinds of notifications:
https://people.mozilla.org/~ewong2/push ... tion-test/

Oh, and Facebook site, if opened by Chrome browser (only)
then you're prompted to allow notifications
which in fact are push notifications (as shown via site's Settings|Notifications|"Desktop and Mobile").
And, today I confirmed that: when I launched Chrome, without having Facebook open in a tab,
I got a (push) notification that a friend of mine has his birthday today.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I'm looking for, are popular english/us websites that offer push notifications.

So, thanks for the replies but,
Google Calendar offers desktop notifications, and lenta.ru offers push notifications (but I don't speak russian).
Last edited by darkred on May 1st, 2016, 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
therube

Post by therube »

Notifications & some test sites are noted here, Site permissions don't persist as of Firefox 45.
(I don't know the difference between "desktop" or "push"?)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
darkred

Post by darkred »

I've noticed that Twitter offers push notifications (browser notifications) in Firefox (it works, I tried it) and Chrome.
Info: https://support.twitter.com/articles/20170772

And, about this:
Oh, and Facebook site, if opened by Chrome browser (only)
then you're prompted to allow notifications
which in fact are push notifications (as shown via site's Settings|Notifications|"Desktop and Mobile").
And, today I confirmed that: when I launched Chrome, without having Facebook open in a tab,
I got a (push) notification that a friend of mine has his birthday today.
I filed 1296721 - Support for push notifications in Facebook