Bookmarks question

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
BruceAWittmeier

Bookmarks question

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

If I open the bookmarks and close FF clicking a bookmark will not start FF. If it is running and I click a bookmark it opens the appropriate link. If I use the menu and select "Open" it will start the browser and open the link but not by double clicking the link.
Is that to be expected?
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
bjherbison

Re: Bookmarks question

Post by bjherbison »

As a user it's not what I expect. File a bug.
bjherbison

Post by bjherbison »

Have you filed a bug? What is the bug number?
BruceAWittmeier

bjherbison -- sorry I haven't gotten back to this post. I have filed a bug and since then found the problem.
Bug number: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1752744
The problem turns out to be a setting: browser.tabs.loadBookmarksInTabs
When set true it fails to launch FF. The default is false and works correctly.

What I learned:
I did test with the addons disabled and it gave the same results -- failed to open.
I created a new profile and it worked correctly and reopened FF.
Morale of the story is I should not limit my test to just turning off the addons but create a new profile to test with the default settings as well.
I do not know if this should or should not happen or what Mozilla will do...have to wait and see.
For now...

On Edit:
I do not like the action as double-clicking a BM replaces the contents of the current page.
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
bjherbison

Post by bjherbison »

Thanks for the update.

I agree -- browser.tabs.loadBookmarksInTabs set as true is a better approach. I don't want opening bookmarks to destroy the tabs I opened for a reason. I could mostly train my self to create new tabs before opening bookmarks, but that would be extra effort and only reduce the data loss.
BruceAWittmeier

I don't like having to pre-think about everything because I'm never 100%...i always forgets some point.