Login problem at my bank's site

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
streetwolf

Login problem at my bank's site

Post by streetwolf »

My problem at the moment happens on both the latest beta and on nightly. The official release does not have any problems. Unless you have a login and password for my bank the only way to see if you have the same problem as me is to do the following:

Open up https://rolb.santanderbank.com/OnlineBanking/login
Enter any userid and password
If things are working correctly you should get a message that you didn't enter a correct userid and/or password.
If things are borked you will see the following:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtusZi2hwX-rhLU5rW7 ... w?e=zP0TLy

My issue is intermittent. Things might work on all releases for a while but eventually returns on beta and nightly. It's interesting to note that since the problem first arose on beta doing a few updates afterwards had things working OK for a little while then it didn't. Don't have a clue why updating fixed things for a short time.

Note that I tried a new, clean profile for beta and still got the error message I gave the link too. Any feedback will be appreciated especially if anyone has an idea how to fix it.
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6400 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
laszlo

Re: Login problem at my bank's site

Post by laszlo »

WFM. I get a normal looking error page. I'd suspect a cookie problem first. Tried whitelisting the site from ETP yet?
"I'll be dead after I die. I was dead before I was born. Life is a break from death." - Hlynur, 101 Reykjavík
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

laszlo wrote:WFM. I get a normal looking error page. I'd suspect a cookie problem first. Tried whitelisting the site from ETP yet?
As mentioned I used a new clean profile. Should not be a cookie or cache problem.
Intel i9-13900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO DDR5 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 @ 6400 Mhz.
H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT Liquid CPU Cooler | PNY 12GB GeForce RTX 3080 Ti | 2 CORSAIR 2TB MP600 PRO XT GEN 4
HX1200 PLATINUM PSU | XENEON 32" IPS UHD 144Hz | BenQ 32" UHD | MS Windows 11 Pro
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

If it's an ETP problem, it will also happen in a new profile.
"I'll be dead after I die. I was dead before I was born. Life is a break from death." - Hlynur, 101 Reykjavík
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

Set ETP to Custom. Enabled all options except Cookies. I was able to log in to my bank. This lasted for a couple of refreshes then I couldn't log in any more. This is like what happens when I update to the latest beta when it's made available. I also tried to 'break' my stable release and could not do so. There is something strange going on.

BTW I am on 113.0a1 for Nightly. Same with you?
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

streetwolf wrote:Set ETP to Custom. Enabled all options except Cookies. I was able to log in to my bank. This lasted for a couple of refreshes then I couldn't log in any more. This is like what happens when I update to the latest beta when it's made available. I also tried to 'break' my stable release and could not do so. There is something strange going on.
Definitely. As I said before, I'd also try switching off ETP completely for the site by clicking the shield in the address bar, just to rule out the other measures that ETP takes from interfering, but as always, it's just a shot in the dark.

I just tried again, with different userid/password combinations, sometimes reloading the page in between with different methods - I always get the same normal error page. So it's either necessary to use an existing login, or it's something specific to your system.
streetwolf wrote:BTW I am on 113.0a1 for Nightly. Same with you?
Of course.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

streetwolf wrote:Set ETP to Custom. Enabled all options except Cookies. I was able to log in to my bank. This lasted for a couple of refreshes then I couldn't log in any more. This is like what happens when I update to the latest beta when it's made available. I also tried to 'break' my stable release and could not do so. There is something strange going on.

Your UserAgent says 112... you posting with Beta ? and testing Nightly along side?
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

TheVisitor wrote:

Your UserAgent says 112... you posting with Beta ? and testing Nightly along side?
I'm using portable stable and portable Nightly. Both are self contained.
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

laszlo wrote:
Definitely. As I said before, I'd also try switching off ETP completely for the site by clicking the shield in the address bar, just to rule out the other measures that ETP takes from interfering, but as always, it's just a shot in the dark.

I just tried again, with different userid/password combinations, sometimes reloading the page in between with different methods - I always get the same normal error page. So it's either necessary to use an existing login, or it's something specific to your system.
streetwolf wrote:BTW I am on 113.0a1 for Nightly. Same with you?
Of course.
This issue has been happening I'd say for a few years on different computers and different ISP's. As I said, after an update it will work for a short while. At times it will work for weeks if not months. Then BAM, it will no longer work. It is a head scratcher to say the least. I've tried everything I know of to fix it permanently. At least I have the stable version where it always works when I need to get to the site.
therube

Post by therube »

Is your onedrive link borked, or is what displays there what we're supposed to see (This item might not exist or is no longer available") ?

When login fails, does the login from here work, https://www.santanderbank.com/ ?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

therube wrote:Is your onedrive link borked, or is what displays there what we're supposed to see (This item might not exist or is no longer available") ?

When login fails, does the login from here work, https://www.santanderbank.com/ ?
When I use the stable release clicking on the big LOGIN button at the link you provided and filling in my credentials takes me directly to my accounts. When I use the same link on beta or nightly doing the same thing takes me to the login screen located at https://rolb.santanderbank.com/OnlineBanking/login. When I enter my credentials I get a message box at the top stating that there is a problem and to contact customer support.

On the stable release when I enter an invalid userid and password I get a message that my credentials are incorrect. On beta and nightly entering an incorrect userid and password produces the contact customer support message. Unless you have an account at Santander and can enter valid credentials the only way I can think of to see the problem yourself is to enter an incorrect userid and password. If it's working correctly you should see the invalid userid/password message. If not you should see the contact support message. At least this is what I see.
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

Just tried MS Edge again and that works just fine. If I use the LOGON button on https://www.santanderbank.com/ it takes me directly to my accounts. It does not go to the other logon screen.

I also tried a new profile on Beta. I encountered all the same problems. At https://www.santanderbank.com/ filling in the LOGON stuff brings up the other logon page. Filling it out produces the message to contact customer support.

I don't get what's going on. It doesn't make sense to me. Things will work eventually but it could last for minutes or weeks as I previously stated. Too bad nobody here seems to have an account at Santander.
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

WOW! I just was able to login to my accounts. When I first tried it I got the usual contact customer support message. For no reason I then entered an invalid password and surprisingly I got the message that my userid/password is incorrect. Normally I would get the contact message so I figured something was up. Sure enough I the entered my real password and VIOLA I am looking at my accounts. I won't hold my breath that this will last.

UPDATE.... Only lasted for two attempts.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Did you check the Web Console and the Network Monitor for something unusual?
https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org ... b_console/
https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org ... k_monitor/

Did you try to clear the cookies and cache or even use "Forget About This Site" ?
Do you use content blocking extensions ?
streetwolf

Post by streetwolf »

Maybe somebody can make sense of the following and subsequently find a solution to my problem. Keep in mind the Release stable version of Fx always works fine for me. Here's what I've done to get things working on beta for only two times in a row.

1. I copy cookies.sqlite from Beta to Release.
2. I get into the Release version of Fx.
3. I login to Santander Bank with no problem.
4. I exit Release.
5. I copy cookies.sqlite from Release to Beta.
6. I get into Beta.
6. I login into my bank with no problem.
8. I exit Beta then run it again.
9. Again I am able to login to my bank.
10. I get into Beta and the login fails with the contact customer support.

So.. this seems to point the finger to a cookie issue. But what's up with the only works two times in a row bit? Seems Beta is modifying it's cookie in some way so that it gives me the error.