js not working due to?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
tigerb

js not working due to?

Post by tigerb »

Be it Mozilla or Phoenix/Firebird, all are excellent browser with great speed, however JavaScript seems to be NOT working on a lot of sites. I am just wondering if this due to the web site itself or IS a Mozilla problem? I've been trying NOT to touch IE at all, but everytime (especially the online banking thing) I've to switch back to IE.
Dunderklumpen

Re: js not working due to?

Post by Dunderklumpen »

tigerb wrote:Be it Mozilla or Phoenix/Firebird, all are excellent browser with great speed, however JavaScript seems to be NOT working on a lot of sites. I am just wondering if this due to the web site itself or IS a Mozilla problem? I've been trying NOT to touch IE at all, but everytime (especially the online banking thing) I've to switch back to IE.

I would say that Firebird works on every site that is properly designed - javascript, applets or not. I haven´nt found many sites where the browser does not work - the ones I have found are banks and other sites designed for Internet Explorer and using techniques only available in IE.
bja

Post by bja »

If it's javascript nor not, I don't know, but there seems to be some problems with online banking.
None of the later builds works with my online bank, I'm still using Phoenix 2003-03-04 (March 4).
Since the 2003-03-04 works fine, I don’t think this is a site design problem.
djst

Post by djst »

tigerb, do not cross-post.
tigerb

Post by tigerb »

djst wrote:tigerb, do not cross-post.

Sorry, I wanted to post in the bug page but somehow double posted here. My sincere apologies from a newbie.
HW71

Post by HW71 »

bja wrote:None of the later builds works with my online bank, I'm still using Phoenix 2003-03-04 (March 4).

Does the problems occur only using Firebird? Or does Mozilla fail, too?
bja

Post by bja »

HW71 wrote:
bja wrote:None of the later builds works with my online bank, I'm still using Phoenix 2003-03-04 (March 4).

Does the problems occur only using Firebird? Or does Mozilla fail, too?

Same problem with both Mozilla and Firebird, so it’s not Firebird specific…
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

My guess is that your bank is using IE specific techniques and solutions. Many banks do.
Sort of like with Windows Update - wich is not actually a homepage rather than a technical solution integrated with Windows and only going through IE. That "site" does not work with any other browser.

I have found that many banks, insurrance companies etc. etc. use IE specific solutions for their sites. Some have seen the need for supporting other browsers but not all.

Anyways - only my guess.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

If you open up the javascript console, you'll see the errors. Mozilla's Tech Evangelism might be able to help.
Former UMO Admin, Former MozillaZine General Mod
I am rarely on mozillaZine, so please do not send me a private message.
My Old Firefox config files
tigerb

Post by tigerb »

Dunderklumpen wrote:I have found that many banks, insurrance companies etc. etc. use IE specific solutions for their sites. Some have seen the need for supporting other browsers but not all.

Anyways - only my guess.

Yes, Banks, Insurance Cos, Airlines, Car rental Cos:

Bank https://secure.tdcanadatrust.com/usbanking/apply.html
Insurance http://www.aia.com.sg/main.asp
Airline http://www.cathaypacific.com/hk
Car Rental http://www.thrifty.com/

These companies should cater to every browsers, IE=Visa, Netscape=Mastercard, Mozilla/Phoenix=American Express, Opera=Diners, all are valid credit cards! all are good for CASH!