Firebird Win32 Build Based on Mozilla 1.4b

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
zengiman

Post by zengiman »

Thx. Miss the daily nightlys so this is great for me. It works very good, maybe a little sluggish.

Normally when I try a new nightly it appears to be a lot faster than the one in use. Of course that is impossible
if you try almost all the nigtlys as I do. I often wonder the reason is that Firebird (can't get used to the name) becomes slower in use.

Anyway, love what you did didn't crash on me once. Thanks a lot.
PS. does somebody know how I can remove this silly stumble extension?

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.4b) Gecko/20030508 Firebird Browser/0.6 StumbleUpon/1.63
adipose

Thanks

Post by adipose »

Glad to have a build based on a stable moz.
pryan

Re: Firebird Win32 Build Based on Mozilla 1.4b

Post by pryan »

Disreali wrote:May I suggest that those of us who are sharing unofficial builds, clearly state in the subject that the build is unofficial. I would suggest that those of us sharing our unofficial builds use a standard format in the post, such as I used.

example: UNOFFICAIL (platform) [Build ID or Build date]
- FreeBSDx86 builds it could be -- UNOFFICIAL FreeBSD-x86 20030506 Mozilla Firebird/0.6

Fair enough, I'll do that next time I post a notice of my next build.

Disreali wrote:Also, pryan, I would like to knoe what src you used to for your build. From what I can find on the mozilla ftp site there is only the daily source tarball, and not yet an official 1.4b src release like there has been in the past.

Sure thing, started by doing a CVS pull of client.mk on the 1.4b release tag:

Code: Select all

cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs-mirror.mozilla.org:/cvsroot co -r MOZILLA_1_4b_RELEASE mozilla/client.mk

Then the rest of the Mozilla 1.4b source:

$ cd mozilla
$ make -f client.mk checkout

I put the resulting Mozilla source up at http://pryan.org/firebird/pryan/mozilla-source-1.4b.tar.bz2.

I then pulled the Firebird source via

$ cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs-mirror.mozilla.org:/cvsroot co mozilla/browser mozilla/toolkit

I used this mozconfig, and I think this is the Firebird mozconfig (you can see what config was used on the build you're running via about:buildconfig):

export MOZ_PHOENIX=1
mk_add_options MOZ_PHOENIX=1
ac_add_options --enable-crypto
ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --disable-debug
ac_add_options --disable-mailnews
ac_add_options --disable-composer
ac_add_options --enable-optimize
ac_add_options --disable-ldap
ac_add_options --enable-extensions=default,-inspector,-irc,-venkman,-content-packs,-help
ac_add_options --enable-plaintext-editor-only
ac_add_options --enable-static
ac_add_options --disable-shared

I used the win32 build instructions as my guide (using VC6).
pryan

Re: Bookmark menu sticks

Post by pryan »

rsnidjik wrote:I'm using your hybrid Moz1.4b-Firebird build and like it a lot. However, occasionally when I open a bookmark menu, particularly one that I've put on the toolbar, it remains there. The only way I can make it go away is to open one of the bookmarks on the menu.

Is this a Moz bug, a FB bug, or something that's been intruduced in your hybrid?

Thanks.

I'm glad it's working well for you, I like it a lot too. I tried reproducing your bug and couldn't get the bookmarks to stick like you describe, but I'll keep playing with it. It is probably a Firebird bug, since Firebird uses its own bookmark code.
pryan

Post by pryan »

JakeNL wrote:
MozillaCop wrote:Just wondering why your build size is around 10mb compared to the official nightlys at around 6mb, do you have any extras it your build?
thanks

Appears to be just lack of compression, if you re-RAR it, it's under 5 MB.

The distribution does have extra files, the nightlies are zipped too and mine is larger. I have sent the guy who does the official Firebird nightly builds some questions to see what his procedure is. Once I find out, my builds won't have those extra files.

Would people prefer a different format besides zip?
zoohooter

Post by zoohooter »

pryan wrote:Hello,

I did a Windows build of Firebird based on the freshly released Mozilla 1.4b. You can find it at http://pryan.org/firebird/pryan/phoenix-2003-05-08-pryan-1.4b-win32.zip. I have other Windows builds at http://pryan.org/firebird/ as well. Enjoy!

- Patrick

just curious, has the 33583 bug been fixed in this build?

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=33583
Steffen

Post by Steffen »

pryan,

thank you very much for your efforts. Works just fine.

However, your zip compression settings don't seem to be effective. JakeNL mentioned this earlier. The size of your zip file (05/11) is 10,248 KB. I just extracted the files and made a new zip file with WinZip and maximum compression. It has only got 6,279 KB!

I also checked WinRAR. Using best compression and solid archive, it results in only 4,831 KB. This is nearly 1.5 MB less than zip. So yes, I would prefer rar archives (compressed with these settings).

Thanks again!
Disreali

Post by Disreali »

pryan wrote:
JakeNL wrote:
MozillaCop wrote:Just wondering why your build size is around 10mb compared to the official nightlys at around 6mb, do you have any extras it your build?
thanks

The distribution does have extra files, the nightlies are zipped too and mine is larger. I have sent the guy who does the official Firebird nightly builds some questions to see what his procedure is. Once I find out, my builds won't have those extra files.

Homemade builds tend to be larger than the official builds simply because the devs know more about building the package than we do.

This is my own personal opinion, but I think having only one archive format makes life simpler. There is no question if the zip or rar with the same name are really the same package. I choose to use zip because I am more familiar with zip than I am with tar and gzip. Also, BeOS has a GUI zip util built in, which make life even easier.

Use whichever archiver you want to use. If a small archive size is your priority, use whatever makes the smallest archive. BUT, remember most end-users on the win32 platform, only have experience with zip archives. But then again, the ppl here who are testing the nightlies are not regular end-users.
Steffen

Post by Steffen »

zoohooter wrote:just curious, has the 33583 bug been fixed in this build?

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=33583

No. Just tried the testcase.
EDIT: Using 20030511.
Steffen

Post by Steffen »

Disreali wrote:Use whichever archiver you want to use. If a small archive size is your priority, use whatever makes the smallest archive. BUT, remember most end-users on the win32 platform, only have experience with zip archives. But then again, the ppl here who are testing the nightlies are not regular end-users.

Right, RAR is not as common as ZIP. But then, you could make a self-extracting rar archive. The 20030511 archive has got 4,880 KB (best compression, solid, sfx), compared with 4,831 KB without sfx.
pryan

Post by pryan »

pryan wrote:
JakeNL wrote:
thanks

Ok, so it was a lack of compression after all. My builds have 94 extra files, but it turns out that the archiver I was using, IZArc, doesn't compress with maximum compression, even if it is told to use maximum compression. I recompressed with Info-ZIP and my build zip is about the same size as the nightlies, even though there are 94 extra files. Oh well. :)