Testing Major Update on the Shiretoko nightly channel

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Robert S.

Testing Major Update on the Shiretoko nightly channel

Post by Robert S. »

The nightly Shiretoko builds will be offered as major updates to test Application Update.

Q) Why are we doing this?
A) The major update code is typically only tested by a small number of people and by offering major updates on the nightly channel the number of people testing major update is significantly increased.

Q) When will this happen?
A) The plan is to offer the January 25th nightly as a major update... this date may change.

Q) How many of the nightly updates will be offered as a major update?
A) The plan is to do this at least through the Shiretoko version bump from 3.1b3pre to the next version and to continue offering nightly updates as a major update for at least a couple of days after the version bump.

Q) What should I do if I find a problem with the major update?
A) Please file a bug in the Toolkit product -> Application Update component.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug. ... n%20Update

Q) What differences will I see?
A) (multi-part)
1. Major updates display a 'billboard' on the first page of the update wizard.
2. Major updates are never downloaded silently in the background... instead you will be notified of the update. There are already bugs filed to provide an option to silently download major updates.
3. During the Shiretoko version bump you should see a list of extensions in the update wizard that were compatible with the build your were using previously and are not compatible with the version you are upgrading to.

I'll check back here periodically to answer questions.

Note: the following bug will make this change (please don't comment on bugs you found in this bug... instead, file a new bug as noted above).
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=470881

Thanks,
Robert (irc rstrong)
Last edited by Robert S. on January 23rd, 2009, 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steviex

Re: Testing Major Update on the Shiretoko nightly channel

Post by steviex »

Stickying 'till the test is completed.... For Two Weeks ... Let me know if you need longer
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
nrthomas

Post by nrthomas »

This test was enabled a day earlier than Rob mentioned. You should see it for updates to the 20090124 nightlies of Firefox 3.1b3pre.
Nick Thomas - Mozilla Release Engineer
chob

Post by chob »

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1b3pre) Gecko/20090124 Shiretoko/3.1b3pre ID:20090124033656

Got the major update UI today. No problems with the "Ask later" or "No thanks" buttons (nothing thrown in error console). The two links in the text worked fine and took me to useful addresses. The update worked fine when I accepted it.

The only issue for me was that there was a horizontal scrollbar in the dialog that seemed unnecessary.

nrthomas

Post by nrthomas »

Hmm, if "No Thanks" is what "Never" used to be then there'll be an

Code: Select all

app.update.never.3.1b3pre
pref set, and will need removing to keep getting your nightly updates.
lyspooner

Post by lyspooner »

Mac PPC 10.5.6

Will be posting this to Bugzilla if I can figure it out, but in case I can't I wanted to let someone know here that I received this morning's build as a major update as expected, but it crashed and exited immediately on start. Reverting to 1-23 build worked as expected.

UPDATE: Following nthomas's lead, I've figured out the problem is with the build itself, not the delivery method, so please disregard above. If you're interested, the Bugzilla ID is 475199.
Robert S.

Post by Robert S. »

nrthomas wrote:Hmm, if "No Thanks" is what "Never" used to be then there'll be an

Code: Select all

app.update.never.3.1b3pre
pref set, and will need removing to keep getting your nightly updates.

It is but it will no longer be in affect after the update xml is changed back to minor or the user manually checks for updates which is the case previously as well.
Robert S.

Post by Robert S. »

chob wrote:The only issue for me was that there was a horizontal scrollbar in the dialog that seemed unnecessary.

Filed https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=475452 for the scrollbar
chob

Post by chob »

Robert S. wrote:
chob wrote:The only issue for me was that there was a horizontal scrollbar in the dialog that seemed unnecessary.

Filed https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=475452 for the scrollbar

Thanks Rob, this is now fixed for me.
chob

Post by chob »

Is the test now over?
nrthomas

Post by nrthomas »

No, it's still running so that we can test the transition from 3.1b3pre to 3.1pre, which is waiting on the same blockers 3.1b3 is.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

In Shiretoko, I found that if I "Hide" the update window as an update is downloading, and I later unhide it to check progress, the download stops - data transfer rate is zero, update window shows "Connecting to the update server". If I press "Hide" again, download immediately resumes. This doesn't happen with Trunk.

First saw this yesterday, waited to see if I could replicate with today's update; it was the same, but then another problem arose - the update wouldn't install (this was a full update, for some reason, instead of the partial I got yesterday). When Shiretoko was restarting to install the update, no progress bar appeared, and a notification slid up saying an update was available. After restart, the Help menu still showed the update ready to install, and Update History showed the update with Status: Install Pending.

Repeated tries, with the same or a clean profile, either pressing "'Restart" or restarting manually, yielded the same result. Then I went ahead and updated the Trunk (no problems), then shut that down and tried Shiretoko again. When I started it, it was the same as before; but when I tried installing the update again, it worked normally.

Anybody else see either of these problems? I was about ready to file a bug on the first one, but now I'm wondering if this new problem is part of the same bug, or a separate problem - and if it's even reproducible. Since I'm on dialup, it would take too much time for me to install an old build to test this, instead of waiting for tomorrow's build.
Win 10 Pro x64, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 6 core, 3900 MHz (4450 Turbo), AMD Radeon Vega (integrated graphics). 16GB DDR4-3200, Firefox 125.0.2, Developer Edition 126.0b5, Nightly 127.0a1.
nrthomas

Post by nrthomas »

greenknight, re your 2nd and 3rd paragraphs, there was a problem with updates to the first 20090210 nightly, see bug 477776 for more details. The recovery was to build a second nightly, and it seems likely you updated to that when it worked (buildid starts 2009021009... for that). Problem is fixed now so won't occur for the next set of nightlies.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

nrthomas wrote:greenknight, re your 2nd and 3rd paragraphs, there was a problem with updates to the first 20090210 nightly, see bug 477776 for more details. The recovery was to build a second nightly, and it seems likely you updated to that when it worked (buildid starts 2009021009... for that). Problem is fixed now so won't occur for the next set of nightlies.
That doesn't really explain it, since I didn't download a second time - the build that had been failing to install finally did install when I came back to it after I had run a Trunk build. The symptoms weren't the same as described in that bug, either - in my case, the update finished downloading and said it was ready to install, and still said it was ready to install after I restarted the browser.

Anyway, if it doesn't recur I'll just assume it was a one-time glitch unrelated to the other problem.
Win 10 Pro x64, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 6 core, 3900 MHz (4450 Turbo), AMD Radeon Vega (integrated graphics). 16GB DDR4-3200, Firefox 125.0.2, Developer Edition 126.0b5, Nightly 127.0a1.
Robert S.

Post by Robert S. »

greenknight - there is every chance that the glitch was just a different symptom of the bug nrthomas cited.