Building Firebird with XFT and GTK2 enabled

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
David James

Post by David James »

I think I'm going to have to write an FAQ on how to de-uglify the GTK2 build when used in KDE (or perhaps more accurately, when not used in Gnome). The irony is that the GTK2 build is supposed to be the way to solve the de-uglification of the base gtk1.2 build.
Pinball-Firefox maintainer.
http://david.jamesnet.ca/
Debian Sid, KDE 3.3
chrookee

Post by chrookee »

David James wrote:I think I'm going to have to write an FAQ on how to de-uglify the GTK2 build when used in KDE (or perhaps more accurately, when not used in Gnome). The irony is that the GTK2 build is supposed to be the way to solve the de-uglification of the base gtk1.2 build.

We need to put that FAQ along with the main FAQ...or atleast we need a link in the main one.. will be mighty useful...to the KDE users... until a qt version of fb is released..

c
Linux + Firebird + gtk2 + XFT is neat.
David James

Finally

Post by David James »

Ah, now take a look at this. That's a GTK2+XFT Firebird build running in KDE3 with sensible toolbars and non-oversized fonts. Compare that to the idiocy that is the default. All it took was finding out more than I wanted to know about Gnome2 conf files and hacking apart an existing GTK2 theme (fishpie, as it happens) to create a new GTK2 theme to match my existing KDE theme - Austere Serenity. Theme creation is a lot worse with Gnome than with KDE - with KDE you can create your theme through the control panel and just save your changes as a theme. No such ease with Gnome unfortunately. It's worse than Mozilla as well because Mozilla uses mainly CSS and the element names are usually fairly logical.

As for Gnome2, the main problems were related to the twm window manager. Apt-getting for the metacity wm fixed that problem and the result is at least usable. I still prefer KDE for a multitude of reasons though.
Debian Sid, KDE 3.3
David James

Post by David James »

chrookee wrote:
David James wrote:I think I'm going to have to write an FAQ on how to de-uglify the GTK2 build when used in KDE (or perhaps more accurately, when not used in Gnome). The irony is that the GTK2 build is supposed to be the way to solve the de-uglification of the base gtk1.2 build.

We need to put that FAQ along with the main FAQ...or atleast we need a link in the main one.. will be mighty useful...to the KDE users... until a qt version of fb is released..

I'll begin work on one shortly before I forget what I did :)

As for a QT version, it's not going to happen for a good long time as QT support has now been removed from the repositories because "the Organization" was unwilling to work on QT and prefers instead GTK. An attempt is being made outside of the repositories but one wonders how far it will get.
Debian Sid, KDE 3.3
chrookee

Post by chrookee »

:) cant do much about the choice of the "the org" unless sufficient people start asking about it i guess...

So the FAQ is the best way forward..currently

cheers,

c
Laurentbon

Post by Laurentbon »

I vote for an FAQ!!!
I am solely using my favorite browser on KDE 3 and I find it a real pity not to be able to match the theme to KDE!

Furthermore, would it be such an heavy task to able firebird to build with Qt support?
chrookee

Post by chrookee »

I guess its not just building on QT .. its whole thing about ownership, maintainibility, bug fixing kinda thingy... the process to support another toolkit would be quite high.. moreover... since they are already covered on the linux platform there isnt an incentive to go for another toolkit support...

c