Building Firebird with XFT and GTK2 enabled

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
sig

Building Firebird with XFT and GTK2 enabled

Post by sig »

Is there an ftp site that has the source for the latest trunk of firebird?

I'd like to download and compile it on my system with XFT and GTK2 enabled. Thanks.
©dn

Post by ©dn »

currently it is likely to be just the mozilla source available nightly [if not nightly, then regularly], you still require
mozilla/browser and mozilla/toolkit to build Mozilla (Firebird) Browser
sig

Post by sig »

Any idea for when mozilla/browser and mozilla/toolkit will not be needed to build Mozilla (Firebird) Browser?

It sucks to have to download and compile Mozilla source first just to build Firebird. Also, I hope they make the source available over ftp, since my network blocks CVS.
pryan

Post by pryan »

I have been putting the source I build with up at my site. You can find 2003-05-12, and soon you'll find 2003-05-13. This is the a CVS pull of the Mozilla and Firebird sources.
saberworks

Post by saberworks »

What will adding GTK2 support do? I thought the UI was all built in XUL?
sig

Post by sig »

saberworks wrote:What will adding GTK2 support do? I thought the UI was all built in XUL?

Maybe someone else can explain.

All I know is that it lets Firebird fit with the theme of my Gnome desktop environment.
Last edited by sig on May 13th, 2003, 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carey

Post by carey »

saberworks wrote:What will adding GTK2 support do? I thought the UI was all built in XUL?

It's like the Windows XP theme support: parts of the XUL user interface are drawn to look like the GTK2 theme, including colours, fonts, button and menu styles, etc.

Much more importantly, you get beautiful, anti-aliased Type1 and TrueType fonts. IMHO, web pages look much better in Bitstream Vera Sans than Helvetica. Is it just me?
sig

Post by sig »

If anyone has a binary build of the latest nightly with GTK2 enabled, would you mind posting it? Thanks.
mestolo

Post by mestolo »

i compile a weekly phoenix build with GTK2 + XFT enabled, on my site: http://www.napolihak.it/pagine/down/fil ... i386-1.tgz

i'm waitng for building this week cause i read 0.6 mileston is really near, so i'll wait for the 0.6 stable.
sig

Post by sig »

mestolo wrote:i compile a weekly phoenix build with GTK2 + XFT enabled, on my site: http://www.napolihak.it/pagine/down/fil ... i386-1.tgz

i'm waitng for building this week cause i read 0.6 mileston is really near, so i'll wait for the 0.6 stable.

What system do you build that on? I'm running Red Hat 9 so I don't know if it would be compatible with a build from Slackware?
chrookee

Post by chrookee »

sig wrote:
mestolo wrote:i compile a weekly phoenix build with GTK2 + XFT enabled, on my site: http://www.napolihak.it/pagine/down/fil ... i386-1.tgz

What system do you build that on? I'm running Red Hat 9 so I don't know if it would be compatible with a build from Slackware?

that link is not working..

chrookee
Linux + Firebird + gtk2 + XFT is neat.
chrookee

Post by chrookee »

Hmm its ok. I downloaded from the CVS and compiled it myself.
Except for a minor detail where the a header file was not visible, which I fixed, the beast compiled and is working good so far.

And the result is great!!!

Cheers,

chrookee
Linux + Firebird + gtk2 + XFT is neat.
David James

Post by David James »

Right now my gtk2+xft build is failing to run. Builds ok, just doesn't run. I might try one of the builds listed here.

On a side note, can someone post a link to a screenshot of a gtk2 enabled Firebird build? Does it actually have sensible looking scrollbars or is it still the default gtk1.x ones? (personally, Phoenix looked just fine in the fall until the day it was decided to go with gtk instead of whatever it was before, a decision I still cannot understand). I remember wasting a couple of hours searching for a gtk theme with more attractive scrollbars, only to find out that Phoenix didn't seem to apply them (as Asa said it would...), even under Gnome, never mind in KDE.

Code: Select all

davidpjames@davidium:/builds/firebird/mozilla$ dist/bin/MozillaFirebird

(MozillaFirebird-bin:23943): Gtk-WARNING **: invalid cast from `(unknown)' to `(unknown)'

(MozillaFirebird-bin:23943): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtksignal.c: line 725 (gtk_signal_connect): assertion `GTK_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed.

(MozillaFirebird-bin:23943): Gtk-WARNING **: invalid cast from `(unknown)' to `(unknown)'

(MozillaFirebird-bin:23943): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtksignal.c: line 725 (gtk_signal_connect): assertion `GTK_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed.

And so it fails. Seems to try twice for whatever reason before exiting.
Pinball-Firefox maintainer.
http://david.jamesnet.ca/
Debian Sid, KDE 3.3
David James

Post by David James »

I get a 404 error on that link...
Pinball-Firefox maintainer.
http://david.jamesnet.ca/
Debian Sid, KDE 3.3
©dn

Post by ©dn »

David James wrote:Right now my gtk2+xft build is failing to run. Builds ok, just doesn't run. I might try one of the builds listed here.

On a side note, can someone post a link to a screenshot of a gtk2 enabled Firebird build? Does it actually have sensible looking scrollbars or is it still the default gtk1.x ones? (personally, Phoenix looked just fine in the fall until the day it was decided to go with gtk instead of whatever it was before, a decision I still cannot understand). I remember wasting a couple of hours searching for a gtk theme with more attractive scrollbars, only to find out that Phoenix didn't seem to apply them (as Asa said it would...), even under Gnome, never mind in KDE.

yes it has sensible looking scrollbars
David James wrote:

Code: Select all

davidpjames@davidium:/builds/firebird/mozilla$ dist/bin/MozillaFirebird

And so it fails. Seems to try twice for whatever reason before exiting.

that looks like what I had from trying to dep compile thunderbird with gtk2 after building with gtk1, you'll need to make clean and rebuild everything