Mozilla Firebird 0.6 rsn

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Steffen

Post by Steffen »

"Cookies are delicious delicacies" is funny, so don't touch it! I can't laugh about XXXben, however.
But I won't complain anymore. Asa's right, there are some more important things to do.
Go to bed, for example. :wink:
tseelee

Post by tseelee »

asa wrote:There's some placeholder text reminding us we need something there and it's in no way critical that it be removed.

Here are my two cents (less if you disagree, so it's YOUR choice)...Isn't Bugzilla the place for that? If someone already wrote a patch, why waste the effort? Close the bug and save the time needed to mark duplicates...

Think what CNet will say. Think what newbies will think. Firebird's ready for primetime. This took the gloss off a bit when I first saw it.
Last edited by tseelee on May 16th, 2003, 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
asa

Post by asa »

Keith wrote:
waytoomuchcoffee wrote:While it does not affect functionality, it looks awful. You really don't need to leave notes to change stuff, you have Bugzilla for that.

Indeed. A bug to implement the functionality of that comment was created <a href="http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=205276">here</a>.

There is absolutely no obligation on a pre-1.0 development milestone to have final UI text ;-) To suggest that there is is just silly. If you're really concerned about the quality of this release your time is better spent looking for serious problems we don't already know about rather than lobbying for trivial issues we do.

--Asa
iluvmonkees

Post by iluvmonkees »

You know the more I think about it, most of the people who I am going to "upgrade to firebird" will never even think about touching settings. The way they change settings is by throwing their hands in the air an screaming, "Alex, come here - this goddamn machine is not doing what I want". I wouldn't worry about cryptic strings in there... at least as far as "average users" are concerned.

I am testing the 0.6 rc rght now... looks great. If I can only count the number of nights I stayed up pining for the 0.6 release. ;)
sensemann

Post by sensemann »

why is there still the one bug left in bugzilla "back out web panels"?

isn't this one fixed already?
michaell522

Post by michaell522 »

sensemann wrote:why is there still the one bug left in bugzilla "back out web panels"?

isn't this one fixed already?

mostly, but it's reopened because you can still bring up the empty web panel sidebar thing from the menu.

tseelee wrote:Here are my two cents (less if you disagree, so it's YOUR choice)...Isn't Bugzilla the place for that? If someone already wrote a patch, why waste the effort? Close the bug and save the time needed to mark duplicates...

there's a whole bunch of bugs that are obvious "polish" things that could be fixed in 5 minutes. however, if we wait for someone to spend an hour going through all those 5 minute things, we would probably be waiting another few weeks for the release. everyone seems to have forgotten that the point is to have a bunch of quick, rough alpha milestones leading up to something that's ready for primetime. the idea is (I believe) to have a couple more releases before mozilla 1.5 happens (which should only be a couple of months away)

tseelee wrote:Think what CNet will say. Think what newbies will think. Firebird's ready for primetime. This took the gloss off a bit when I first saw it.

Firebird is nowhere near ready for primetime - this is still supposed to be an alpha-type release. Mac OS X is still quite a mess (non-functional menus hanging around and broken UI that you can't click on...), and there's a bunch of important bugs still open (the ones that got pushed from 0.6)...
tve

Post by tve »

Steffen wrote:"Cookies are delicious delicacies" is funny, so don't touch it! I can't laugh about XXXben, however.

why dont make your patch available as extension! ;)
<i>Latest Firefox Trunk & Thunderbird 1.0</i>
Steffen

Post by Steffen »

tve wrote:
Steffen wrote:"Cookies are delicious delicacies" is funny, so don't touch it! I can't laugh about XXXben, however.

why dont make your patch available as extension! ;)

How would I call it? "Clean up behind XXXben"? Or "Get rid of XXXben"? Or even "XXXben-killer"? :lol:
No, just kidding.
tseelee

Post by tseelee »

michaell wrote:Firebird is nowhere near ready for primetime - this is still supposed to be an alpha-type release.

Hats off to the developers...I haven't had a crash yet.

michaell wrote:Mac OS X is still quite a mess (non-functional menus hanging around and broken UI that you can't click on...)

Damn the Mac users. ;-) I finally got used to Classic Macs and now you want me to worry about the HIGHLY confusing OS X? I thought those machines were for newbies.
Tom Sommer

Post by Tom Sommer »

I just got an autocomplete crash, I sent the talkback info :)