Test Build: Asynchronous location bar

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
sdwilsh

Re: Test Build: Asynchronous location bar

Post by sdwilsh »

Littlemutt wrote:This just got checked into Trunks..
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=478097

I'm already using that query in this patch.
Problem Solver
sdwilsh

Post by sdwilsh »

Seems that the latest build did not include the packages-static fix, which explains why people were not seeing any results at all.
Problem Solver
sdwilsh

Post by sdwilsh »

It turns out that I neglected to make the all-important packages-static file changes that would actually result in a build that works for most folks in my previous test builds. I thought I had fixed that with the last build, but apparently I never submitted it to the try server (I had the line in my terminal all ready to just press enter though!).

Without further delay, here is the new test build.

I've also made a handy little add-on that lets you test this out. I haven't tested this add-on extensively, but it should work out OK. If you think you see a bug, try the test build first before reporting it please.

Still want your feedback on if you think the results are faster, slower, or about the same, so please follow-up!

I've also gone ahead and updated the first posts link again. Sorry for the trouble with the initial testing.
Problem Solver
sysKin

Post by sysKin »

This build stops displaying autocomplete results after a few attempts:

- if I press "m" in location bar, 5 results pop up and the spinnging thingy (in place of favicon) spins. Press "o" and no results pop up, it keeps spinning.

or

- start firefox and press down arrow - results are fine. Press it again and they're fine. Press it 3rd time and only 4 results show up. Press it again and none show up, autocomplete is broken.

When this happens, reminder of firefox works but it uses 50% cpu usage (one core). And when I quit it goes 100% and never quits (goes into "is running but not responding").

I'll try to break the freeze in debugger maybe I can conclude something (but need to submit this post first lol).

[edit] no symbols no fun :( frozen thread was:
> sqlite3.dll!71c1ee48()
[Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for sqlite3.dll]
sqlite3.dll!71c1f059()
sqlite3.dll!71c1f43d()
sqlite3.dll!71c25d2f()
xul.dll!6f922b95()
(etc)
sdwilsh

Post by sdwilsh »

I'll see if I can reproduce that in a debug build on Monday. This may be a mozStorage bug, or it may be a SQLite bug, but it shouldn't be a bug in the AutoComplete code.

Given the bit of symbols you did have, it looks like the main thread to me, but that's about all we can get from that. :/
Problem Solver
sysKin

Post by sysKin »

HAH sorry it seems to be a false alarm: this happens with latest nightly too.

Post by 093236 »

After using the add-on, it made my awesome bar doesn't show anything. And the windows hanged after I closed the Firefox.
sdwilsh

Post by sdwilsh »

093236 wrote:After using the add-on, it made my awesome bar doesn't show anything. And the windows hanged after I closed the Firefox.

Were there any errors in the error console?
Problem Solver

Post by 093236 »

comrade693 wrote:
093236 wrote:After using the add-on, it made my awesome bar doesn't show anything. And the windows hanged after I closed the Firefox.

Were there any errors in the error console?
Oh, after I enabled it again, windows no hanged again, but my CPU is full loading.
I found one error, but I don't know it is related to the add-on or not.

Code: Select all

Error: [Exception... "'JavaScript component does not have a method named: "handleEvent"' when calling method: [nsIDOMEventListener::handleEvent]"  nsresult: "0x80570030 (NS_ERROR_XPC_JSOBJECT_HAS_NO_FUNCTION_NAMED)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://global/content/bindings/popup.xml :: hidePopup :: line 98"  data: no]
Source File: chrome://global/content/bindings/popup.xml
Line: 98

Sometimes, it can show the records at the first time after starting the browser, and then no record again when I press one more letter, and the CPU keeps full loading even I close the tab or press the location bar's drop down button to hide the awesome bar. And I cannot use "Enter" button to go to the websites until I click the content page, but it can go immediately when I press the "go" button.
CPU 100% even I am using dual core, and it seems that it cannot close by itself
sdwilsh

Post by sdwilsh »

So, it looks like those of you having issues are on windows. Can you try in a new profile to see if you can reproduce this? Getting more accurate steps to reproduce this would be a big help since I have had no luck yet.
Problem Solver
sdwilsh

Post by sdwilsh »

I have good news (kinda). A symbol server exists for try server builds so you can actually get real symbols on windows. The url is http://build.mozilla.org/tryserver-symbols/, and it's now documented on https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Using_ ... bol_server
Problem Solver
sdwilsh

Post by sdwilsh »

It seems as though the past builds still had issues on Windows. Mook was kind enough to get be a stack of the hang on shutdown folks were seeing, and I've modified the code to avoid making that happen (still not sure why it happened, but I know how it could get there - bug is filed). Without further delay, here's an add-on that you can try out with the latest fixes in! I've been told on irc that this one works much better on Windows.
Problem Solver
supernova_00

Post by supernova_00 »

"You don't have permission to access /tryserver-symbols/ on this server."
https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Using_the_Mozilla_symbol_server
Dead link
sdwilsh

Post by sdwilsh »

supernova_00 wrote:
"You don't have permission to access /tryserver-symbols/ on this server."

I suspect this works when used with MSVS - both links on the wiki page have no pages for me.

supernova_00 wrote:
https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Using_the_Mozilla_symbol_server
Dead link

works for me
Problem Solver

Post by 093236 »

comrade693 wrote:It seems as though the past builds still had issues on Windows. Mook was kind enough to get be a stack of the hang on shutdown folks were seeing, and I've modified the code to avoid making that happen (still not sure why it happened, but I know how it could get there - bug is filed). Without further delay, here's an add-on that you can try out with the latest fixes in! I've been told on irc that this one works much better on Windows.
Thanks, no problem now with 0.12, it is very fast. :D
But there is no favicon in the records of awesomebar, all of them are blank page icon.