Firebird 0.6 - Compilation errors on Windows

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
pkjoshi

Firebird 0.6 - Compilation errors on Windows

Post by pkjoshi »

I have downloaded the FireBird0.6 source code (MozillaFirebird-0.6-source.tar.bz2) from
http://ftp34.newaol.com/pub/firebird/releases/0.6/.

While compiling it on Windows NT, I got the following compilation error:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
make[4]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/mozilla-FireBird0.6/mozilla/toolkit/components'
make[5]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/mozilla-FireBird0.6/mozilla/toolkit/components/autocomplete'
make[6]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/mozilla-FireBird0.6/mozilla/toolkit/components/autocomplete/public'
sh /cygdrive/c/mozilla-FireBird0.6/mozilla/build/cygwin-wrapper c:/moztools/bin/nsinstall -m 644 _xpidlgen/autocomplete.xpt ../../../../dist/bin/components
make[6]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/mozilla-FireBird0.6/mozilla/toolkit/components/autocomplete/public'
make[6]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/mozilla-FireBird0.6/mozilla/toolkit/components/autocomplete/src'
sh /cygdrive/c/mozilla-FireBird0.6/mozilla/build/cygwin-wrapper c:/moztools/bin/nsinstall -m 644 autocomplete_s.lib ../../../../dist/lib
make[6]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/mozilla-FireBird0.6/mozilla/toolkit/components/autocomplete/src'
make[5]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/mozilla-FireBird0.6/mozilla/toolkit/components/autocomplete'
make[5]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/mozilla-FireBird0.6/mozilla/toolkit/components/console'
sh /cygdrive/c/mozilla-FireBird0.6/mozilla/build/cygwin-wrapper c:/moztools/bin/nsinstall -m 755 jsconsole-clhandler.js ../../../dist/bin/components
+++ making chrome c:/mozilla-FireBird0.6/mozilla/toolkit/components/console =>
../../../dist/bin/chrome/toolkit.jar
The system cannot find the file specified.
Preprocessing of content/console.js failed: 1 at c:/mozilla-FireBird0.6/mozilla/config/make-jars.pl line 391, <STDIN> line 2.
make[5]: *** [libs] Error 2
make[5]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/mozilla-FireBird0.6/mozilla/toolkit/components/console'
make[4]: *** [libs] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/mozilla-FireBird0.6/mozilla/toolkit/components'
make[3]: *** [libs] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/mozilla-FireBird0.6/mozilla/toolkit'
make[2]: *** [tier_9] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/mozilla-FireBird0.6/mozilla'
make[1]: *** [default] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/mozilla-FireBird0.6/mozilla'
make: *** [build] Error 2
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My .mozconfig file:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
export MOZ_PHOENIX=1
mk_add_options MOZ_PHOENIX=1
ac_add_options --enable-crypto
ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --disable-debug
ac_add_options --disable-mailnews
ac_add_options --disable-composer
ac_add_options --enable-optimize=-O2
ac_add_options --disable-ldap
ac_add_options --enable-extensions=default,-inspector,-irc,-venkman,-content-packs,-help
ac_add_options --enable-plaintext-editor-only
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Am I missing some tools?

I used the same windows machine to build Mozilla 1.2.1 successfully.

Regards
-Pawan
aebrahim

Post by aebrahim »

It looks like you're trying to build something that has exactly the same features as the nightly build, without disabling shared libraries and enabling static libraries. Why not just try a nightly build, it has all the latest updates on the trunk.

You can find them here:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firebird/nig ... est-trunk/

If you want the 0.6 release, you can download that here:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firebird/rel ... -win32.zip

If you still want to compile, make sure to take a look at http://mozilla.org/build/win32.html
pkjoshi

Post by pkjoshi »

I had already tried disabling shared libraries and enabling static libraries, but it did not work.

We have made some changes in the HTTP protocol handler of Mozilla 1.2.1. Now, we would like to merge these changes to FireBird0.6 and submit it to Mozilla. Before merging, I need to compile the orginal FireBird0.6 source.

I am using the same machine to build Mozilla 1.2.1 (with our changes ) since last 4 months and it never gave this kind of compilation problem. This(building of Mozilla 1.2.1) rules out anything I am missing from http://mozilla.org/build/win32.html.

Any pointer to other build instructions particulary for FireBird0.6?
aebrahim

Post by aebrahim »

Well the official builds are made using the following .mozconfig:

export MOZ_PHOENIX=1
mk_add_options MOZ_PHOENIX=1
ac_add_options --enable-crypto
ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --disable-debug
ac_add_options --disable-composer
ac_add_options --enable-optimize
ac_add_options --disable-ldap
ac_add_options --enable-extensions=default,-inspector,-irc,-venkman,-content-packs,-help
ac_add_options --enable-plaintext-editor-only
ac_add_options --enable-static
ac_add_options --disable-shared

If you build using these options, you'll get something very similar to the official builds. There is more information at http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/source/b ... EADME.html but its basically outdated (from the Phoenix 0.4 days).
pkjoshi

Post by pkjoshi »

I also tried the official .mozconfig file and it also gave the same error.

The problem seems to be related to the cygwin package. I have installed cygwin with the following tools:
ash -- UNIX-like command line interpreter shell
diffutils -- file comparison utility
fileutils
findutils
gawk -- pattern matching language (Devel category)
grep -- text search tool
make -- dependency analyzer for software builds (Devel category)
perl -- a scripting language used to control parts of the build (Interpreters category)
sed -- a search and replace language
sh-utils
textutils
unzip -- zip file extraction (Archive category)
zip -- zip file creation (Archive category)

Do I need to Install the latest Cygwin Package? I had installed Cygwin 6-7 months back and I am able to build Mozilla1.4b successfully using the same tools (Cygwin, wintools etc.).

Do I also need to Install autoconf and/or automake ?

Regards
-Pawan
aebrahim

Post by aebrahim »

You need to have Cygwin 1.1.6 or higher for it to work correctly. You also need VC++ 6 or better. If you're able to build Mozilla then you should be able to build Firebird as well, as the requirements are the same. I'm not sure what else could be the problem. Maybe someone else could pick this up ...
pkjoshi

Post by pkjoshi »

One More question:
Is the FireBird0.6 source code (MozillaFirebird-0.6-source.tar.bz2) from http://ftp34.newaol.com/pub/firebird/releases/0.6/ complete? Or Do I need to download few files using the CVS?

Right now, I am using this source code to build FireBird and it is giving "The system cannot find the file specified" error. Maybe I need to download some FireBird0.6 source patch using the CVS.

There is no Mozilla\Toolkit\* directory in Mozilla1.4b and thats why I am not getting any problem while building Mozilla1.4b.

I am getting the following error message while building FireBird0.6:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
make[5]: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/mozilla-FireBird0.6/mozilla/toolkit/components/console'
sh /cygdrive/c/mozilla-FireBird0.6/mozilla/build/cygwin-wrapper c:/moztools/bin/nsinstall -m 755 jsconsole-clhandler.js ../../../dist/bin/components
+++ making chrome c:/mozilla-FireBird0.6/mozilla/toolkit/components/console =>
../../../dist/bin/chrome/toolkit.jar
The system cannot find the file specified.
Preprocessing of content/console.js failed: 1 at c:/mozilla-FireBird0.6/mozilla/config/make-jars.pl line 391, <STDIN> line 2.
make[5]: *** [libs] Error 2
make[5]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/mozilla-FireBird0.6/mozilla/toolkit/components/console'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------