3.5 no wait cursor

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
sn0wflake

Re: 3.5 no wait cursor

Post by sn0wflake »

A patch seems to have been posted, but it was not deemed adequate... so we are still waiting.
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

It appears to me at least that starting with comment here: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=482985#c36 that more a less a line has been drawn in the sand, and for all intents and purposes that this bug will now die for lack of anyone being able to figure out a way to restore the feature without the full back out of the patch that removed the busy cursor. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=481359

I'm a long time tester, and a dedicated user, but the last several months seem to be pushing more and more Mac-centric features/operations into the Windows platform, and I'm not real happy the devs see fit to push Mac stuff to make Windows more Mac-ified. Just because they all use Mac's for development, does not mean everyone wants to "Be Like Mac". As several comments have stated, if its a problem with the busy cursor on Mac, then fix the Mac, don't break what seems to be a 'normal' operation across all Windows Applications. There are a hell of a lot more Windows users than Mac users, so I feel it just wrong to break Windows because a handful of Mac users don't like the busy cursor.

I'll probably get flamed to death, but I really don't care. I'm sick of hearing about this bug, and the only right fix to remove the bug that removed the busy cursor.
Dorus

Post by Dorus »

As i read it, it has both been a refactoring of moving code away from a place where it does not belong, as at the same time shooting the entire thing because there was a small bug in it on Mac. Right now there is a stalemate between core people that do not want to cursor code back into the core code, and the app code doesn't have a proper patch yet (there is even a discussion if a proper patch is currently possible). At the same time the rest of us is victim of this mess.
sn0wflake

Post by sn0wflake »

Littlemutt - I see no reason for somebody to flame you, because you can't flame TRUTH. Any user who has been around for a long time can see what's going on, and it's not pretty. In this desperate race to corner IE, Firefox seems to be missing more and more its own point.

So now I'm not the only one who feels we have been victims of a political fight, rather than a rushed mistake... good to know there are others on the boat.
teoli2003

Post by teoli2003 »

Shasoosh wrote:I'm not looking for an icon, i want my wait cursor!

Stay with 3.0.x, then. That's the only solution.
ThiefMaster

Post by ThiefMaster »

It's not. Compiling your own firefox is the other (and better) solution
sn0wflake

Post by sn0wflake »

ThiefMaster wrote:It's not. Compiling your own firefox is the other (and better) solution

It... is? Compiling every release by hand is a good way to go against an arbitrary decision that few are really supporting? Switching to Webkit/Chromium looks like a better idea.
ThiefMaster

Post by ThiefMaster »

No, but it's clearly better than using an outdated version.
aleyx

Post by aleyx »

ThiefMaster wrote:No, but it's clearly better than using an outdated version.

...? Seriously?

C'mon, 3.0.x is not so outdated as to be unusable nor insecure. And compiling something as massive as Firefox is not something you can honestly suggest to someone who may not have any previous compiling experience.

I mean, I'd be the first to say that compiling stuff is fun, but not everyone gets starry eyes when typing ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/firefox-3.1.5-mycustombuild-7 --enable-uselessgizmo=all.

Now, getting someone to package and maintain a custom Firefox, like Moox did (still does?), that's something you can suggest. Actually, you seem to be fairly confident on the matter. Maybe you can contribute?

N.
pdun459

Post by pdun459 »

I too was a little surprised when I went from 3.0.12 to 3.5.1 and discovered the mouse pointer animation was gone. I have no problem with that, but it seems to me it should have been left optional.

It took some getting used to, but now I rely on the activity indicator in the tool bar. What I would like to know is how to kill the activity indicator in tabs. When you open a tab you end up with two activity indicators going at the same time.
Graham Paige

Post by Graham Paige »

Littlemutt wrote:There are a hell of a lot more Windows users than Mac users, so I feel it just wrong to break Windows because a handful of Mac users don't like the busy cursor.
I'm a Mac user and I want the wait cursor back. It appears that the only Mac users who don't want it work for Mozilla.
Dorus

Post by Dorus »

The problem with the wait cursor (mac or not) was that on fast internet connections, the cursor tend to 'flicker', going on and off very fast. Smart Mozilla guys completely forgot that the wait cursor was once made for slow connections, and those still exists today. (for me, it's more often slow webservers).
pdun459

Post by pdun459 »

Ahhh...finally found a userChrome.css command that works:

tab[busy] .tab-icon-image {visibility: hidden !important;}

I tried everything, then I put it at the very front of the list and that killed it. Now there's just a message on the tab that says "Loading..." then when it's loaded everything is like before with an icon and title, nothing's missing and no blank spaces.
sn0wflake

Post by sn0wflake »

Dorus wrote:The problem with the wait cursor (mac or not) was that on fast internet connections, the cursor tend to 'flicker', going on and off very fast. Smart Mozilla guys completely forgot that the wait cursor was once made for slow connections, and those still exists today. (for me, it's more often slow webservers).

Now see my problem... to me it never flickered. Even as far back as Firebird 0.5! Even on the rare occasion that I visit a friend who has a T3 connection and install Firefox on his machine, it doesn't flicker. Some people experience flickers? Great. Developers who want to stop that should have a look at what causes that issue, then.
James

Post by James »

There was no Firebird 0.5 as perhaps you mean either Phoenix 0.5 or Firebird 0.6 ;)