Are there any disadvantages when using private browsing?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
klumy

Post by klumy »

Windows 7
Handle With Care

Re: Are there any disadvantages when using private browsing?

Post by Handle With Care »

As I understand it, in privacy mode, links you previously clicked will no longer change color, so you won't know where you previously visited. Also, passwords "remembered" will be forgotten as soon as Firefox is closed. If these are incorrect, I'd sure like to know.
AMD A8-3800 APU Radion HD Graphics 2.40 GHz; 64-bit Win-7 SP1 Home Premium w/latest patches; Fx 91.0.1 (64-bit); Tb 92.0B3(64bit)
EFnet oper irc.Prison.NET
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Also nothing is cached to disk, so if you want to save something then it needs to be retrieved (downloaded) from the server a second time.
See also:
http://support.mozilla.com/kb/Private+Browsing
https://wiki.mozilla.org/User:Mconnor/PrivateBrowsing
josegotme

Post by josegotme »

Sites do not look the same. Going to Yahoo home portal changes Yahoo Classic mode to Yahoo new version, which I do not want. After getting out of privacy mode, everything works as usual. Actually, with the "Clear Recent History" time selections, I do really need this option as I can erase 1,2, 4, Today, Everything, hours of browsing.
Actually, I am very pleased with Firefox 3.5 RC3. All extensions work and the Browser is faster and thus far, more stable, than its predecessors. I look forward to the final release next week.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You do not carry over your existing cookies, so anything that is stored in a cookie needs to be redone every time. You should only use PB for browsing untrusted sites or sites that you do not want remembered and not for sites that you visit regularly and want to customize in any way.