MozillaZine

Reduced memory footprint... again!

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
djst
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 2826
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 1:34 am
Location: Sweden

Post Posted November 26th, 2002, 6:20 am

The latest nightly on Windows is using approximately 150 KB less memory than the 19/11 nightly. I've been watching the memory footprint ever since I started to use Phoenix, and I just wanted to post this to let you all know that Phoenix is still going down in terms of memory usage and disk footprint.

Btw, if using the Phoenity theme instead of the classic theme, the memory footprint is reduced another 150 KB!

Piel

User avatar
 
Posts: 216
Joined: November 11th, 2002, 4:26 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Post Posted November 27th, 2002, 9:55 am

djst wrote:The latest nightly on Windows is using approximately 150 KB less memory than the 19/11 nightly. I've been watching the memory footprint ever since I started to use Phoenix, and I just wanted to post this to let you all know that Phoenix is still going down in terms of memory usage and disk footprint.

Btw, if using the Phoenity theme instead of the classic theme, the memory footprint is reduced another 150 KB!


What is your typical footprint? 11/26 on WinXP with only one window open uses about 23mb...seems a little high to me (or am I nuts here?)

Stefan

User avatar
 
Posts: 2051
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 2:46 am

Post Posted November 27th, 2002, 10:03 am

Piel wrote:
What is your typical footprint? 11/26 on WinXP with only one window open uses about 23mb..


about:blank or with a webpage loaded?
It makes a difference.

djst
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 2826
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 1:34 am
Location: Sweden

Post Posted November 27th, 2002, 10:13 am

Piel wrote:
djst wrote:The latest nightly on Windows is using approximately 150 KB less memory than the 19/11 nightly. I've been watching the memory footprint ever since I started to use Phoenix, and I just wanted to post this to let you all know that Phoenix is still going down in terms of memory usage and disk footprint.

Btw, if using the Phoenity theme instead of the classic theme, the memory footprint is reduced another 150 KB!


What is your typical footprint? 11/26 on WinXP with only one window open uses about 23mb...seems a little high to me (or am I nuts here?)


I have my startup page set to a local html file. When using the classic theme I get a memory footprint of 16500KB. Nov19 build used 16652KB. This is immediately after starting Phoenix.

tve
Moderator
 
Posts: 3275
Joined: November 6th, 2002, 12:07 pm
Location: Federal Republic of Germany

Post Posted November 29th, 2002, 1:28 pm

hmm..

I had the 1126 nightly installed until 5 mintes ago, it used 21.500k, now I installed the 1129 nightly and it only uses 18.500k :)

wonder how much 1.0 will use..

Piel

User avatar
 
Posts: 216
Joined: November 11th, 2002, 4:26 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Post Posted November 29th, 2002, 1:39 pm

Stefan wrote:
Piel wrote:
What is your typical footprint? 11/26 on WinXP with only one window open uses about 23mb..


about:blank or with a webpage loaded?
It makes a difference.


I start with about:blank. 11/28 starts at 17k (and I just completely wiped my HD) and now coming to this page is up to 19k....it just seems like a lot to me...yes, I know RAM is cheap, and I do have 512mb, but i don't think that should not make developers try to lower memory fotprints as much as possible.

tve
Moderator
 
Posts: 3275
Joined: November 6th, 2002, 12:07 pm
Location: Federal Republic of Germany

Post Posted November 29th, 2002, 4:30 pm

Piel wrote:it just seems like a lot to me...yes, I know RAM is cheap, and I do have 512mb, but i don't think that should not make developers try to lower memory fotprints as much as possible.

thats what they are doing...

Return to Firefox Builds


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests