Size of 'classic.jar'

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Alfred Kayser

Size of 'classic.jar'

Post by Alfred Kayser »

I know there is some work on a new default theme (to replace classic).
However the current classic.jar (486KB) could easily be reduced to about 200KB, may be even less.
saving 286KB of the total size. How?
1. Remove the 'editor', 'messenger' and 'navigator' (except for pageinfo) directories (size is now: 345KB, saving 141KB)
2. removing communicator/sidebar and communicator/taskbar (size is now 325KB, another 20KB)
3. removing global/grippy (as the grippy in the splitters are not used anymore)
4. Merge several icons into one image (all browser toolbar icons, etc)

Note that Phoenity Lite (100KB), LittlePhoenix (52KB) and MicroPhoenix (48KB) are the proof that
themes can be much smaller. Gnome (194KB) is cheats less, by having also the bigger (48x48) toolbar
icons.
djst

Re: Size of 'classic.jar'

Post by djst »

Alfred Kayser wrote:I know there is some work on a new default theme (to replace classic).
However the current classic.jar (486KB) could easily be reduced to about 200KB, may be even less.
1. Remove the 'editor', 'messenger' and 'navigator' (except for pageinfo) directories (size is now: 345KB, saving 141KB)
2. removing communicator/sidebar and communicator/taskbar (size is now 325KB, another 20KB)

Note that Phoenity Lite (100KB), LittlePhoenix (52KB) and MicroPhoenix (48KB) are the proof that
themes can be much smaller. Gnome (194KB) is cheats less, by having also the bigger (48x48) toolbar
icons.

This will most certainly be considered when the default theme is decided. There's no point in messing with the current default theme since it will be replaced anyway.
alanjstr

Re: Size of 'classic.jar'

Post by alanjstr »

Alfred Kayser wrote:I know there is some work on a new default theme (to replace classic).

icons.

The Pinball by David James has had them removed, too (at my suggestion a week ago :D )

Hmmm. I guess the Phoenix Help Pages should point there. The best way to get all the themes to implement features is to spread the word.
AtomB

Post by AtomB »

well i can say i'll be doing these steps to cut down the size of all the themes i've made, and will be making. thanks for the tip.
alanjstr

Post by alanjstr »

My 11/29 Win32 build came with en-mac.jar and en-unix.jar, still. That's a whole 9.25 KB extra. Then there's a classic.jar and a modern.jar. Since Modern doesn't work, there's another 2.57 KB. There's lots of little things here and there, but the biggest savings will be from large chunks of code.