Direct2D/DirectWrite Accelerated Rendering For Firefox

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
trieste

Re: Direct2D & DirectWrite HW Acceleration For Minefield - Info

Post by trieste »

From here (provided in original post), quoting specifically from the comments FAQ:

Related to the previous question: What version(s) of D3D does this run on? Will it be backwards compatible?
It runs on Direct3D 10.1, which includes so-called 10Level9 functionality -- which allows you to run D3D10.1 apps on a D3D9 driver.

What is this Direct3D10Level9 that you are talking about?
D3D10Level9 is a special adapter for D3D10 which allows it to use D3D9 drivers. So, for example, if you only have a D3D9 driver, D3D10 could still run -- which greatly broadens the reach of D3D10. It will be available on Windows 7.

Since, you certainly wouldn't be able to use any of the new D3D10 features, as the D3D9 driver certainly wouldn't have a clue about how to implement them.
That’s not entirely accurate. There is a reasonably broad subset of the D3D10 features which will run on D3D9; albeit with differing performance and quality characteristics. No, D3D9 doesn’t do everything, but it does a lot. The D3D team has done an excellent job in trying to match feature sets of the two APIs via D3D10Level9.

----------------------------

And from the article itself:

We started with some fundamental goals for Direct2D:
Software Fallback – Should automatically fall back to software when hardware isn’t available (eg. session 0, server rendering scenarios).

Not GDI fallback. :lol:

D2D on Firefox can run on non-Dx10 hardware. The current iteration isn't the final product already, I hope! :D
supernova_00

Post by supernova_00 »

Omega X wrote:
Littlemutt wrote:
Omega X wrote:I can't reproduce that at all.

Open a few tabs, then use Ctrl+tab to open the select panel, use the arrow keys to navigate through the displayed tab, note that the highlight does not clear on previous tabs.
this is what I see:

Ahh, that thing. Ok. It was turned off.

That is most likely related to the other issue where Aero Glass becomes all black.

Related to bug 549097 - Multiple location bar results appear selected when scrolling down ?
Ver Greeneyes

Post by Ver Greeneyes »

sld wrote:Software Fallback – Should automatically fall back to software when hardware isn’t available (eg. session 0, server rendering scenarios).

Not GDI fallback. :lol:

To clarify this, in Vista and up, GDI runs on top of Direct3D (which offers software versions of pretty much all its functions by default that driver creators can choose to replace with hardware accelerated versions) - so Direct2D's software fallback should be able to fallback straight onto Direct3D (disclaimer: IIRC).
sciguyryan
Folder@Home

Post by sciguyryan »

Here is another to add to the testing list: http://www.tapper-ware.net/stable/web.d ... transform/ - it's pretty good.
Cheers!

Ryan Jones
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Ok, added the example and updated the instructions for turning it on.

@ Kurt

This one maybe:
Bug 525810 - Aero Peek incorrectly draws glass regions as solid black regions
iceccold

Post by iceccold »

I tried Firefox 3.7a3pre and D2D works now for me :D
Firefox 3.7a2 Developer Preview build didn't want to work with D2D.
Even I had problem with no FB chat.
It's good to know that Firefox is working on D2D.
Even on my low budget GF 8400GS works good. :)
Fonts are prettier and some pages loads faster.
"We cannot have homeland security unless we understand that the whole planet is our homeland "
ZeDestructor

Post by ZeDestructor »

@Omega X (and other users): Just found out that the Stylish addon stops Direct2D/DirectWrite from running properly. I think it should be added to the first post under "- Some Add-ons may interfere with D2D/DW and or Cause a Crash. Turn off those add-ons or start in Safe Mode."

(This is also my first post, hope its helpful)
System: Acer Aspire 5920G | Mobile intel Core 2 Duo T9300 @ 2.5Ghz | 4GB Dual Channel Samsung DDR2 RAM | ATI Mobility Radeon HD4650 1GB DDR2 | 20.1" LCD @ 1680x1050 + 15.4" LCD @ 1280x800 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 640GB 7200RPM | Windows 7 x64 | Internet Connection 20Mbps/1Mbps
Arka_Voltchek

Post by Arka_Voltchek »

Work "fine" on one of my two w7 PC (Core2duo+8800GTS) crash on startup with the second one (Core2duo+i945GML).

@+, Arka
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

ZeDestructor wrote:@Omega X (and other users): Just found out that the Stylish addon stops Direct2D/DirectWrite from running properly. I think it should be added to the first post under "- Some Add-ons may interfere with D2D/DW and or Cause a Crash. Turn off those add-ons or start in Safe Mode."

(This is also my first post, hope its helpful)

Done. Thanks!
Firefox_Fan7

Post by Firefox_Fan7 »

a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

Firefox_Fan7 wrote:How to get this thumbnails http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/3489/ctrltab.jpg?

In about:config change browser.ctrlTab.previews to 'true'
Firefox_Fan7

Post by Firefox_Fan7 »

Littlemutt wrote:
Firefox_Fan7 wrote:How to get this thumbnails http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/3489/ctrltab.jpg?

So i typed it, but nothings happened.
El Pino

Post by El Pino »

Firefox_Fan7 wrote:
Littlemutt wrote:

Littlemutt is wrong. That setting changes the ctrl+tab setting so that you get a similar preview like alt+tab. You have to switch browser.allTabs.previews. This seems rather unrelated to this post though.
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

Firefox_Fan7 wrote:
Littlemutt wrote:

El Pino , the one you refer to browser.alltabs.previews adds the button to the bookmarks toolbar that will provide the same view.

@Firefox_fan7
You have to hold the ctrl key for a couple of seconds then press the tab key to pop up the display, the delay is there on purpose so you don't see the select panel when you quickly switch tabs with ctrl+tab
El Pino

Post by El Pino »

Littlemutt wrote:El Pino , the one you refer to browser.alltabs.previews adds the button to the bookmarks toolbar that will provide the same view.

@Firefox_fan7
You have to hold the ctrl key for a couple of seconds then press the tab key to pop up the display, the delay is there on purpose so you don't see the select panel when you quickly switch tabs with ctrl+tab

Oh yea, you are right, Littlemutt. For some reason I thought Firefox_Fan7 was looking specificially for that one. Probably because I personally consider it more useful then the ctrl+tab thing.