Nightly builds

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
wirefox

Nightly builds

Post by wirefox »

Are the nightly builds new versions for testing and improvement on released versions or what? If so when I dwnld one should I uninstall my previous version by deleting the Phoenix folder from C:\.

thx
wirefox
Balboa

Re: Nightly builds

Post by Balboa »

wirefox wrote:Are the nightly builds new versions for testing and improvement on released versions or what? If so when I dwnld one should I uninstall my previous version by deleting the Phoenix folder from C:\.

Yep.
wirefox

Post by wirefox »

Thx Balboa wasn't sure. Phoenix is a speed demon, love it.
flii

Post by flii »

also, you need to delete your "profiles" folder. you can find this one by going to C:\WINDOWS\Application Data (or your equivalent if on xp/2000) and deleting the phoenix folder there as well. however, if you want to keep your bookmarks, be sure to export them before doing this.

once you get both of those folders deleted, then you can install and run a new version/nightly.
colfer

Post by colfer »

I don't bother with deleting C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\profiles unless I see problems. Much more convenient to keep my profile!
johnh123

Post by johnh123 »

Is .5 going to be much different than the nightly builds, or is it just going to be a build without as many bugs?
scratch

Post by scratch »

.5 will be the nightly from the day when all the bugs targeted for .5 are fixed.
ehume

Post by ehume »

Flii wrote:also, you need to delete your "profiles" folder. you can find this one by going to C:\WINDOWS\Application Data (or your equivalent if on xp/2000) and deleting the phoenix folder there as well. however, if you want to keep your bookmarks, be sure to export them before doing this.

once you get both of those folders deleted, then you can install and run a new version/nightly.

I concur. I have occasionally had problem with day-old profiles. So now I simply delete them. Don't forget to save your cookies file in addition to your bookmarks file. The cookies file holds your login info when you have told a website to "remember" you.

Ed