Testing help needed with new Download Handling

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
DamianMoran

Post by DamianMoran »

Tom Sommer wrote:
bengoodger wrote:Sorry I forgot to check for application/x-msdownload and disable the "Open" function. We're not supporting Open on .exes just yet for security reasons. I've made this change in my tree.
So, we are disabling OPEN on .exe files? We had this once, and we changed it back to allow the opening of .exe files after viewing a one-time security notice... Will this change? Because I like to think I know what I am opening when I open a downloaded file :)

Or is it the automatically-open an .exe file? Cause then I'm all for it :)

I remember when this was changed yes, but then only way to have an .exe run at the moment (as you know) is to leave the window open and then click to launch. This means that the next file you download (which you may just wish to save to disk) will also leave the window open and it is easy to forget to uncheck this once more. It certainly would be nice if we could "click and go" to open programs.
Paradox52525

Post by Paradox52525 »

Just to inform people, this build completely breaks TTLO extension, probably a conflict on the mimetype handling side of things. Trying to open up TTLO's "More Options" pane causes an XML error.
Tom Sommer

Post by Tom Sommer »

Paradox52525 wrote:Just to inform people, this build completely breaks TTLO extension, probably a conflict on the mimetype handling side of things. Trying to open up TTLO's "More Options" pane causes an XML error.
Watch me care

Extensions should adapt to Firebird, not the other way around. If that was the case we would never see any major changes to Firebird
Homer

Post by Homer »

It breaks Compact Menu too, and I can confirm the problems closing the prefs window anywhere but the Downloads pane.

It breaks in the Customize pane though, and if I disable the extension the button stays and it still works, but the configure options in Customize are gone. Neat.

And as long as stuff that is going to break extensions happens early in a release cycle, like now, its fine by me.
cneb96

Other... is covered when H scrollbar appears

Post by cneb96 »

This is sweet. Thanks for working on this ;-) Some of these are nits, but I'd thought I write
them down anyway.

1. Save files to this folder
2. Other ....
3. Select a folder with a very long path name
4. Notice that a Horizontal scroll bar appears so you can select that folder
5. Other... is covered by the H scroll bar so you can't reach it with
the mouse. (You can with the keyboard)

I just uninstalled power archiver so now there is nothing listed
in Windows explorer for the extension .zip. zip files have the generic unknown icon.
At one time Phoenix did know about power archiver and zip files they were listed as a type to download.
Now when I click on a zip file in pheonix the application listed is a long with a bunch of
random ascii letters. I'm not sure if this is a problem with pheonix or Windows.

Should your "Opening your app with dialog...." be modal? It's kind of confusing when it
get stuck behind everything.

If the "Opening your app with dialog..." has no idea what to open the app with, you can select
the blank field and click ok. What does that mean?

The text field "Settings can be changed in the Downloads section of Tools,
Options." only appears when you check the box "Do this automatically for files like this fron now in."
This is kind of odd, just leave it up, it makes sense no matter how the box is checked.
Paradox52525

Post by Paradox52525 »

Tom Sommer wrote:
Paradox52525 wrote:Just to inform people, this build completely breaks TTLO extension, probably a conflict on the mimetype handling side of things. Trying to open up TTLO's "More Options" pane causes an XML error.
Watch me care

Extensions should adapt to Firebird, not the other way around. If that was the case we would never see any major changes to Firebird

Dude, you don't have to be quite so harsh. I was just posting that to inform people, including the extension author so he can hopefully fix it.
Homer

Post by Homer »

Another note: The option in Tools for Search the Web is going to cause bug reports if someone removes the search field, since it has no effect in that case, and even if its there, the selection of the search box is subtle enough that some people won't catch it at first.
Lost User 9766

Firebird helper applications

Post by Lost User 9766 »

This is great news that helper apps. will be supported in Firebird. It would be nice also if Thunderbird could get some helper apps. It would be great to click on a link in Thunderbird and have it open in the browser I choose under Linux -- which would be Firebird!

You Firebird/Thunderbird developers rock, seriously
TonyG

Post by TonyG »

Clicking on the link http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firebird/nig ... -win32.zip in Ben's original post causes a new browser window to spawn, as well as the download dialog. Running Windows XP.
tve

Post by tve »

TonyG wrote:Clicking on the link http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firebird/nig ... -win32.zip in Ben's original post causes a new browser window to spawn, as well as the download dialog. Running Windows XP.

That's because phpBB always automatically adds a <i>target="_blank"</i> (opens link in a new window) to every link. Not a Firebird bug.
<i>Latest Firefox Trunk & Thunderbird 1.0</i>
Old Persist

Post by Old Persist »

It doesn’t seem to be working for files of type audio/midi. If I go to http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/ni ... ex-sz.html and click on a link the midi file plays in quicktime. I don’t get the option to save the file. If I go to tools> options> downloads the panel is blank and I don’t know how to add an entry to make Firebird save the file. All I can do is right click on the link and choose save link to disk. This build is definitely a step in the right direction though. If I click on a link for an audio/wav file it asks me what to do with it and remembers! Before it used to ask me every time so this is definitely a step in the right direction. Thankyou.
Edit - I fixed it. I changed the file associations so .mid files open with the realplayer and I changed the quicktime mimetype settings so it won't play midi files and then Firebird asked me what to do with midi audio files and the entry shows on the download page. Excellent!
djst

Post by djst »

I think that the Fonts & Colors options should be placed under General instead of Web Features, to be more. Other than that, great work!
bengoodger

Re: Testing help needed with new Download Handling

Post by bengoodger »

OK, I've noted all your feedback and fixed the bugs you've reported.

I don't have a fix for the editable downloadable path since editable menulists seem to be broken right now. After I get this landed I'm going to look at fixing them so people can edit their download path by hand again, so don't worry I'm not permanently removing it.

I'm going to check this in very soon unless anyone can tell me of some reason why not ;-)
DamianMoran

Post by DamianMoran »

Yes please check it in, this needs more varied testing.
wheerdam

Post by wheerdam »

Check it in, this should be polished before 0.7 is out. Helps a lot of people, I assure you :)
I'm weird, damn