Testing help needed with new Download Handling

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
irkregent

Post by irkregent »

Paradox52525 wrote:Something in these changes seems to have broken "Save link to disk." ...

Yep -- I've noticed the same problem.
kermalou

Post by kermalou »

Paradox52525 wrote:Something in these changes seems to have broken "Save link to disk." When I right click and "save link to disk" for any file, it immediately starts trying to download it to the last used directory (despite the fact that I have it set to always prompt for filename) and then it gives me an error about not being able to modify the contents of said folder (which is not true, because I can download things by left clicking into the same folder without problems).

same here, i thought my folder permissions were set wrong.
sweetdude

Post by sweetdude »

The download speed is greatly improved but is still a bit slower than IE somthing about 20~30kbytes on my cable connection using the Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.5b) Gecko/20030807 Mozilla Firebird/0.6.1+ build
Paradox52525

Post by Paradox52525 »

With a bit more testing I've found that the problem with "Save link to disk" seems to be caused by Download Sort 2.0. Disabling the extension fixes this problem. I submitted it as a bug on Downloadsort's mozdev page.
PandaMan

Post by PandaMan »

Hi!

Testing
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.5b) Gecko/20030808 Mozilla Firebird/0.6.1+
WinXPSP1

and got that strange problem:

zpl files are media playlists for ZoomPlayer. On my side, they are correctly associated with this app.

When clicking on a link that point to "whatever.zpl", firebird tells me:
"What to do with 'whatever.zpl.avi' wich is a video clip".

I don't care if Firebird (wrongly) assume this is a video clip... (it's odd but...)
But I *do* care that Firebird adds this avi extension to the file (??????????!!!!??) cause when sent to ZoomPlayer I got an error (the file doesn't exists!!!)
When clicking on the link property, I got a correct display (whatever.zpl)

Anyone met such behavior? Can confirm?

Thanks.

Best regards.
Olivier.
Old Persist

Post by Old Persist »

This sounds like an old bug from Windows 95, 65827 see http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=65827 Is that the right one? I still find searching bugzilla quite confusing.
PandaMan

Post by PandaMan »

Yeah... somewhat...
I don't have enough indepth understanding about content negotiation/mime types to have an opinion.
In fact I was partly wrong...

I can add this to my previous post:
The page served to Firebird is from an apache server, in wich I first added the mimetype video/x-msvideo zpl
So firebird *correctly* deduced this a video clip, he was right and I was dumb...

The *buggy* behavior might be that firebird then adds this avi extension when sending to helper, and shouldn't.

I workaround by creating:
application/zoomplayer zpl mimetype in the apache config, and add a neverask open directive in all.js for that mimetype.

As I said, I don't understand much in this...

Thanks to anybody that have clues to light my ignorance.
I'll try to understand that bug 65827.
Paradox52525

Post by Paradox52525 »

Often if a second extension is appended to files you download, it's because your mimetypes somehow got messed up. My recommendation would be to shut down firebird, go to your profile directory, and delete your mimetypes.rdf. You'll have to make them all over again as you download things, but it should fix that problem.
PandaMan

Post by PandaMan »

yes...

The problem here is not solved by your (very sane) recommandation.
I'm doing *all* my tests with clean profile (dropping folder after any change in Fb or in my Apache).
So this behavior doesn't come from screwed-up local Fb file: it's out of the box...

Anyway, if I got time, I'll try to understand more and if it's real, produce a test case (not that simple... for me).

Regards.

Olivier.