Web Panels

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
nilson

Post by nilson »

I'm confused.

Did you remove the functionalty for websites being displayed in the sidebar?
Blake

Post by Blake »

nilson wrote:I'm confused.

Did you remove the functionalty for websites being displayed in the sidebar?

Nope.
jedbro

Why?

Post by jedbro »

Dave, thanks for working on this.
Web panels and Extension Uninstall are the two features I am looking forward to most in FB, and fortunatly both are going to be done by you! Thanks for making FB rock.

PageHolder I actually find extremly usefull, could you make it into an extension if you really want to keep it out of FB trunck?

The whole formating issue could easily be fixed by applying some javascript and css rules.
(check out <a href="http://daniel.glazman.free.fr/weblog/">Glazman's "small screen" script</a> on the top of the page)

Cheers
--Jed
seb

Re: Page Holder Removed

Post by seb »

mozdave wrote:Yes, I removed the Page Holder. I do not think it adds any value above what's already implemented for Sidebar Bookmarks. Basically the idea of "transient" pages being placed in a holder makes little sense when the pages themselves aren't slim-lined or designed for display in the holder. If you want to keep a page around for easy access, tabs already solve that particular problem.
I actually found a very good use to the placeholder: the ability to automatically add bookmarks that open in the sidebar (instead of having to open the properties window of the bookmark).

It's also very useful when comparing pages, or blogging some stuff.

If it's not going to be checked in again, it'd be nice if someone could make an extension for the Page Holder. I guess the code is still in the CVS.
chrisgeleven

Post by chrisgeleven »

Can't wait for this to get more polished, looks great Firebird devs!
Apple Macbook (Black) - 2.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250GB HD, Mac OS X 10.6.x, Firefox 3.6.x
DamianMoran

Post by DamianMoran »

So why have the web panels gone from today's builds?
tve

Post by tve »

Crap, I really liked it. Already had a sidebar bookmarks folder wih all kinds of bookmarks..
<i>Latest Firefox Trunk & Thunderbird 1.0</i>
Goldzilla

Re: Page Holder Removed

Post by Goldzilla »

seb wrote:
If it's not going to be checked in again, it'd be nice if someone could make an extension for the Page Holder. I guess the code is still in the CVS.

http://www.geocities.com/mmoy/holder.html
DizzyWeb

Post by DizzyWeb »

I'm confused.

Everybody's talking about it, saying it so great, so wonderfull, the next killer-thing, etc...
All the blogs talk about it.
And now it's gone. Not useful.

Am I missing something!?
The author can never, in no way, be held responsible for any harm caused, mental or physical, by reading this post.
talou

No more webpanel !

Post by talou »

It seems to be no more web panel in the sources...
So what about working on a nice extension that do the same ?
I begin now !
shadytrees

Post by shadytrees »

Yeah, I'm confused too.
David James

Post by David James »

DizzyWeb wrote:I'm confused.

Everybody's talking about it, saying it so great, so wonderfull, the next killer-thing, etc...
All the blogs talk about it.
And now it's gone. Not useful.

Am I missing something!?

Yes :crazyeyes:

You can still open stuff up in the sidebar. Go to your Bookmarks Manager and find (or add) a page that you would like to display in the sidebar, the MozillaZine Index page for example. Select that bookmark and click on Properties. You'll find a checkbox - "Load this bookmark in the sidebar". Check that. Close the bookmarks manager and then select that bookmark from the the Bookmarks menu item or from the bookmarks sidebar. Upon doing so the sidebar will open (or reconfigure) and go to that page.

I too have since found new uses or the Page Holder feature (mainly annoying sites whose search results are all java links and hence can not be opened in new tabs until the advent of the Page Holder).
Pinball-Firefox maintainer.
http://david.jamesnet.ca/
Debian Sid, KDE 3.3
tve

Post by tve »

David James wrote:You can still open stuff up in the sidebar. Go to your Bookmarks Manager and find (or add) a page that you would like to display in the sidebar, the MozillaZine Index page for example. Select that bookmark and click on Properties. You'll find a checkbox - "Load this bookmark in the sidebar". Check that. Close the bookmarks manager and then select that bookmark from the the Bookmarks menu item or from the bookmarks sidebar. Upon doing so the sidebar will open (or reconfigure) and go to that page.

How can I close it?

There's no toolbar button, no menu entry, and Ctrl+J doesnt work either.
<i>Latest Firefox Trunk & Thunderbird 1.0</i>
David James

Post by David James »

tve wrote:
David James wrote:You can still open stuff up in the sidebar. Go to your Bookmarks Manager and find (or add) a page that you would like to display in the sidebar, the MozillaZine Index page for example. Select that bookmark and click on Properties. You'll find a checkbox - "Load this bookmark in the sidebar". Check that. Close the bookmarks manager and then select that bookmark from the the Bookmarks menu item or from the bookmarks sidebar. Upon doing so the sidebar will open (or reconfigure) and go to that page.

How can I close it?

There's no toolbar button, no menu entry, and Ctrl+J doesnt work either.

With the little "X" button at the top right hand corner of the <a href="http://members.rogers.com/dpjames/firebird/sidebar.png">sidebar</a>?
Last edited by David James on August 5th, 2003, 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pinball-Firefox maintainer.
http://david.jamesnet.ca/
Debian Sid, KDE 3.3
noririty

Post by noririty »

tve wrote:How can I close it?

Ctrl+B * 2?
<a href="http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/noririty/">noririty</a>