Discussion of New Add-on Mgr. UI (Trunk Nightlies)

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
WildcatRay

Discussion of New Add-on Mgr. UI (Trunk Nightlies)

Post by WildcatRay »

Let's use this thread for discussion regarding the newly (re)landed Add-on Mgr. User Interface.

Bug 550048 - [meta] Redesign Addons Manager UI

This is the tracking bug for all the different bugs currently listed for the new UI.

Extension fixes for extensions broken due to new Add-on Mgr. UI: Link.
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
_Dexter_

Re: Discussion of New Add-on Mgr. UI (Trunk Nightlies)

Post by _Dexter_ »

Can we make this a sticky?
Intel i7 Core Quad @ 4.25Ghz | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus | 12GB PC3-16000 RAM | ASUS HD6970 2GB - 12.3 CATS | ASUS PA246Q IPS 24" LCD 16:10 | OCZ AGILITY-EX SSD SLC | Windows 7 SP1 x64 Ultimate
GTK66

Post by GTK66 »

Thanks Ray, I would think that this will be fixed with tonight's build. I do not plan on adding any extensions so for me it is not a big deal. As I said earlier, this far into the build, errors like this should not happen. Also why not wait until
Something good is coming!
to implement it. Seems to me that Mozilla is working on too many projects at one time. They should be getting the major bugs fixed before implementing new ones. After a cold start on my Windows 7 Machine with 8GB of ram and a quad 4 Pentium, Minefield takes up to two minutes to load. Asa posted in his Blog that this was an easy fix but never said what it was. Fx 3.6 does not have this problem. Neither does Opera.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

streetwolf wrote:Can we make this a sticky?

I would just as soon not. This should stay close to the top for a while anyway and Builds already has four stickies.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Hopefully this becomes the new bitch thread, that way I can avoid it.
grenavitar

Post by grenavitar »

Is there any way to distinguish what builds _should_ have support for the new Add-ons manager? The fact that it landed mid 3.7a5pre means that some show that its supported on AOM but may not use the new API? (I suppose this will be fixed with 3.7a6pre).

Also, to confirm. Ratings _shouldn't_ work right? Because... they don't.
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

grenavitar wrote:Is there any way to distinguish what builds _should_ have support for the new Add-ons manager? The fact that it landed mid 3.7a5pre means that some show that its supported on AOM but may not use the new API? (I suppose this will be fixed with 3.7a6pre).

1. Those that don't support will have to updated by the author as I understand things.
2. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=553465
GTK66

Post by GTK66 »

grenavitar wrote:Is there any way to distinguish what builds _should_ have support for the new Add-ons manager? The fact that it landed mid 3.7a5pre means that some show that its supported on AOM but may not use the new API? (I suppose this will be fixed with 3.7a6pre).

Per their roadmap there will not be any more Alpha's.
GTK66

Post by GTK66 »

If I install one of these hourly builds, will I still be able to upgrade to the nightly in the morning?
a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

sipowicz wrote:If I install one of these hourly builds, will I still be able to upgrade to the nightly in the morning?

Yes, however.. when updating from an 'hourly' to the next days 'nightly' - you will get the full download of 10meg...
GTK66

Post by GTK66 »

Littlemutt wrote:
sipowicz wrote:If I install one of these hourly builds, will I still be able to upgrade to the nightly in the morning?

Yes, however.. when updating from an 'hourly' to the next days 'nightly' - you will get the full download of 10meg...

Thanks, I installed the one built at 13:38 my time and the AOM still does not work.
grenavitar

Post by grenavitar »

Littlemutt wrote:

1. Those that don't support will have to updated by the author as I understand things.

But my question was more--not about how to fix it--but about, how do I tell if it's compatible? or which API an add-on uses.

Thanks, as always :)
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

Has anyone else noticed that add-on sorting is by upper case--capitals--first followed by lower case--small--letters? I noticed it because of having Flashblock and FlashGot. In the old UI, they were listed as I just wrote. In the new it is FlashGot followed by Flashblock. I'll have to search through all those bugs in the meta bug to see if this is in there.
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

Omega X wrote:Hopefully this becomes the new bitch thread, that way I can avoid it.

Or, hopefully, it will become a thread with both constructive discussion and solutions like for those extensions we cannot live without. :wink:
Ray

WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

Honestly, other than having to do a new profile so I could install--actually, be able to install--add-ons is about the only "major" gripe I have had with the new UI.

Well, that and apparently the discontinuing of being able to drop a copy of the xpi or jar file in the profile extension folder to have it IDed by the browser for installation. I am still waiting to hear an answer to that question.
Ray