Firefox 4.0 features.

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
sabret00the

Re: Firefox 4.0 features.

Post by sabret00the »

Mr.Henky wrote:
El Pino wrote:
Mr.Henky wrote:You can see all new mockups here.
Tabs on Top on Windows XP looks awful.

I'm finding them very pretty.

I like it too.

patrickjdempsey wrote:From those images it looks like the Add-ons Manager is going to get major reworking from where it is now, and all of the various control popups will turn into tabs as well.

Very odd decision to make so late in the game.
Erunno

Post by Erunno »

sabret00the wrote:Very odd decision to make so late in the game.

Technically Firefox 4.0 hasn't entered the beta phase but I would have expected the UI developers to get some extended feedback from the developer community first before rolling it out to a larger audience (e.g. beta users). I'll quote myself here:

Erunno wrote:I can't help it. Mozilla currently makes the impression of an ant hill which someone kicked over.

:P
The previous signature has been removed again. Enjoy your month off, Erunno.
mattcoz

Post by mattcoz »

Mr.Henky wrote:You can see all new mockups here.

Those look fantastic, I'm loving the extensions/preferences screens and the downloads popup menu. Tab Candy looks pretty cool too.
iceccold

Post by iceccold »

Seems like Mozilla is getting a strong competition in JavaScript field.
Opera just got speed up (10.6) and they're faster about at least 10% than Chrome.
Mozilla will have to work hard on JaegerMonkey.
If they put out 4.0 version with JavaScript that is not close (I mean really close) to Chrome, Opera it would be shame.
Even IE 9 is getting fast with new JavaScript.
"We cannot have homeland security unless we understand that the whole planet is our homeland "
GTK66

Post by GTK66 »

^Firefox 4.0 Beta 1 is supposed to be out June 24, 2010. I don't know if they will make it.
iceccold

Post by iceccold »

I don't expect JaegerMonkey before at least second beta.
But how it seems everyone is taking speed ups. Chrome and Opera are ones who are really strong competition.
More than a year Firefox has lost lead in JavaScript speed.
Putting out final 4.0 version that can't stand to competitors would be fail.
Personally it's fast for me, but marketing is marketing.
"We cannot have homeland security unless we understand that the whole planet is our homeland "
ioiokzkz

Post by ioiokzkz »

Oh Firefox, come on... I mean, come on!

Chrome was so fast that I didn't expect any browser to catch up with it, but then Opera managed to become the fastest.
If Firefox is to be moving at such a slow pace , I doubt that Fx4 can even be close to older builds of Chrome and Opera at that time.
Grab some Redbulls, kidnap some insane Opera developers, do anything that keep Firefox alive please? ;)

AND... Just as I'm typing this I can see now even the 3.6.4 seems to be delayed. What the...? :(
iwod

Post by iwod »

OH DAMN IT, Chrome 5 final was 30% faster then previous release. And Opera loses 10% of its advantage. Now it is the FASTEST AGAIN!.

Considering how many integral parts of Firefox uses JS, i hope JaegerMonkey will bring some much needed improvement........

http://www.arewefastyet.com/ Shows we are still way behind.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

I don't know about Opera being the fastest again. I did tests and Chrome was still slightly faster.
iceccold

Post by iceccold »

Just tested all of latest development browsers (Chrome, Minefield, Opera, IE 9) in SunSpider.
And here it comes:
Minefield 4.0a5pre: 853
Opera 10.6: 415
IE 9 (1.9.7766): 786
Chrome 6: 410

So it seems that Firefox is currently slowest browser.
It's good that IE9 is not out. I can't imagine how this would be bad for marketing.

About theme, on new mockups I see that download manager is in same place as bookmarks?
http://www.mozilla.sk/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Firefox-4-Mockup-i06-Win7-Aero-TabsTop-PanelGlass.png
This one I like better: http://limi.net/media/sketchdownloadswide.png
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

ioiokzkz wrote:Oh Firefox, come on... I mean, come on!

Chrome was so fast that I didn't expect any browser to catch up with it, but then Opera managed to become the fastest.

A simple question... Is either Chrome or Opera faster than Firefox with the kinds of addons that Firefox allows? What? Neihter Chrome nor Opera allow the kinds of add-ons that Firefox does... hmm.... gosh.. well... give me a break! If you guys can actually PROVE that Chrome or Opera is faster than Firefox in the REAL WORLD where people use add-ons, I'd love to see it. Otherwise... STU Already. Also, how does Firefox preform in terms of memory use compared to Chrome and Opera? Oh, it uses WAY LESS memory? Seriously... step away from the quad-core and take a look at what the real world is experiencing for a moment.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
rob64rock

Post by rob64rock »

exactly wright on what patrickjdempsey said !!!
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

iceccold wrote:Just tested all of latest development browsers (Chrome, Minefield, Opera, IE 9) in SunSpider.
And here it comes:
Minefield 4.0a5pre: 853
Opera 10.6: 415
IE 9 (1.9.7766): 786
Chrome 6: 410

So it seems that Firefox is currently slowest browser.
It's good that IE9 is not out. I can't imagine how this would be bad for marketing.
[/url]

Keep in mind that Jaeger isn't in yet. It would be like testing 2 cars with different paint jobs. Its still the same car.
ioiokzkz

Post by ioiokzkz »

patrickjdempsey wrote:
ioiokzkz wrote:Oh Firefox, come on... I mean, come on!

A simple question... Is either Chrome or Opera faster than Firefox with the kinds of addons that Firefox allows? What? Neihter Chrome nor Opera allow the kinds of add-ons that Firefox does... hmm.... gosh.. well... give me a break! If you guys can actually PROVE that Chrome or Opera is faster than Firefox in the REAL WORLD where people use add-ons, I'd love to see it. Otherwise... STU Already. Also, how does Firefox preform in terms of memory use compared to Chrome and Opera? Oh, it uses WAY LESS memory? Seriously... step away from the quad-core and take a look at what the real world is experiencing for a moment.

Uh. You do realize Chrome has extensions (addons) now don't you :shock: ?
And, just FYI, my Chrome with all the extensions on still beats clean Firefox badly in all those browser benchmarks out there. (Peacekeeper, SunSpider, V8...etc)
Chrome, however, is indeed such a memory hog, and some of its extensions still aren't good enough. That's why I chose to come back to Firefox after some time (not so long :wink:) with Chrome.

And hey, don't get me wrong here. I'm not despising Firefox nor trying to talk people out of using it. In fact I LURVE it.
I'm just another user that wants to see his favorite tool getting better, that's all.
I mean, Firefox now is good enough. But what if it could do it even better and much much faster?

Doesn't that sound DIVINE? :D

Looking forward to Firefox 4. Just make that happen sooner, please.
sabret00the

Post by sabret00the »

The extension point is a silly one and the devs know this, hence why they're trying to move towards Jetpack and are benchmarking addons. A lot of the core work for things like JM and the bugfixed we've seen for TM is because they understand that things need improving in how they deal with extensions just as much as how quickly they render the page.

I actually agree that Firefox being the slowest modern browser would be a disaster and work appears to be going to slowly in terms of JM development. I haven't seen a blog updating progress at all.