Working add-ons after XPCOM landing

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
trieste

Re: Working add-ons after XPCOM landing

Post by trieste »

sipowicz wrote:IMO, Mozilla should remove all extensions that are not updated to at least the 3.6.x level.

In actual fact, a very myopic and thoughtless idea, since many addons simply need a version bump.
BuTaMuH

Post by BuTaMuH »

hexx wrote:Anyone fixed Speed Dial 0.9.5 ?

the fix is actually simple - I did it for 0.9.5.1, but I suppose it will work for 0.9.5 too.

The trick is to add

Code: Select all

function NSGetFactory(cid) { return SpeedDialCacheFactory; }

at the end of the file:
<user profile>\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile ID>\extensions\{64161300-e22b-11db-8314-0800200c9a66}\components\speeddialcache.js

and also:

Code: Select all

# Component registration
component {7a44e0ce-757a-4f65-93aa-b05a377558a7} components/speeddialcache.js
contract @uworks.net/speeddialcache;1 {7a44e0ce-757a-4f65-93aa-b05a377558a7}
category profile-after-change @uworks.net/speeddialcache;1 service,@uworks.net/speeddialcache;1

anywhere in:
<user profile>\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile ID>\extensions\{64161300-e22b-11db-8314-0800200c9a66}\chrome.manifest

Edit:
The Add-On should be disabled and re-enabled after this operation
Last edited by BuTaMuH on July 4th, 2010, 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

quirK wrote:
sipowicz wrote:IMO, Mozilla should remove all extensions that are not updated to at least the 3.6.x level.

In actual fact, a very myopic and thoughtless idea, since many addons simply need a version bump.

What he is referring to are old, long-abandon add-ons with no one to maintain them and that (especially) do not work in the more recent (supported?) releases of Firefox, Thunderbird, Sunbird, Seamonkey nee Mozilla Suite, etc., but this is off-topic, so... :-$ ...back to your regularly scheduled programming. :sleeping:
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
GTK66

Post by GTK66 »

quirK wrote:

So say you. Is it so hard for the DEv's of these extensions to do a version bump? ](*,)
trieste

Post by trieste »

sipowicz wrote:
quirK wrote:

So say you. Is it so hard for the DEv's of these extensions to do a version bump? ](*,)

Is it hard for YOU to do a version bump? A more practical AND palatable idea is to encourage developers to forsake backward compatibility to trim down their code. I still see "2.0"s all over the place.

@WildcatRay: The gift of reading hidden implications into plaintext is certainly remarkable.
GTK66

Post by GTK66 »

^ I am not an extension developer. No it is very easy, so then it should be easier for the developer of the extensions. Chrome is now removing extensions that are not up to date. There are well over 1,000 extensions in AMO. How many of those have not even been looked at by the Dev in 2 years! For God's sake NTT is abandoned! Anyone still using Firefox 2.0 probably still uses IE 6 and Xp!
myzar74

Post by myzar74 »

anyone can fix ForecastFox ? i miss it
GTK66

Post by GTK66 »

myzar74 wrote:anyone can fix ForecastFox ? i miss it

According to Quirk you can.lol
myzar74

Post by myzar74 »

sipowicz wrote:

Well it's not a matter of just a version bump , i know how to do that :P
GTK66

Post by GTK66 »

myzar74 wrote:
sipowicz wrote:

Well it's not a matter of just a version bump , i know how to do that :P

I know that and you know that but some apparently do not. Contact the developer or post in their forum if they have one.
trieste

Post by trieste »

sipowicz wrote:

Aren't straw men fun to use? :)
Sergyk

Post by Sergyk »

myzar74, you can use AniWeather :: Add-ons for Firefox.
Anybody fix foxy tunes and brief?
myzar74

Post by myzar74 »

Sergyk wrote:myzar74, you can use AniWeather :: Add-ons for Firefox.
Anybody fix foxy tunes and brief?

just tried it works fine thx :)
lakrids

Post by lakrids »

quirK wrote:

I agree, simply wiping them off is a bad idea. It's great to have them archived, maybe those old extensions can even work as inspiration or something.

But here's what I think what should happen at the very least:
Extensions that put up donation buttons should be forced by contract to work on compatibility with betas to ensure that they will be working when new stable releases are ready.
No updates for beta = warning
No updates for stable = remove donation button

( don't know if they have a similar system in place already though)
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

You don't get where extension authors are coming from do you? I would say 98% do not now nor have ever worried about making money from extensions. They want to be able to do something so they write an extension to do it or they see a need.
The majority do this stuff in any spare time they may have and I think it was Mozilla who rowed out the donation button idea as a sort of belated thank you for endless hours of unpaid work.
Your idea if I can call it that, would probably drive away a massive number of people who due to other commitments are unable to provide updates immediately a release is out.
And for what? because you and others are impatient?
Some of the fault lies squarely with Mozilla for it's painful habit of breaking extension and themes later in the development cycle rather than earlier.

Oh and sipowicz. Have a look at the percentage of the world population people still using XP before jumping on your elitist high horse.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"