Javascript Performance Thread

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Grantius

Re: Javascript Performance Thread

Post by Grantius »

Good job to the devs - very smart people.
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
floppyrom

Post by floppyrom »

Exciting days for Firefox: performance is improving on a daily basis on http://arewefastyet.com/
iwod

Post by iwod »

Does anyone know why removing the decompiler would actually causes an increase in code and file size?
Pravda

Post by Pravda »

Wow, Spidermonkey is now almost as fast as v8 even without generational garbage collection. This makes me wonder what kind of speed-ups we will see once ggc is in a functional state.
You can't handle the правда!
iceccold

Post by iceccold »

In like 30 minutes Jon Coppeard is going to talk about garbage collection in general which you can watch on Air Mozilla.
"We cannot have homeland security unless we understand that the whole planet is our homeland "
iwod

Post by iwod »

iceccold wrote:In like 30 minutes Jon Coppeard is going to talk about garbage collection in general which you can watch on Air Mozilla.

Um.... You mean like a Real Time Streaming ? I see nothing there i could watch or i will be able to watch.
floppyrom

Post by floppyrom »

iceccold

Post by iceccold »

iwod wrote:Um.... You mean like a Real Time Streaming ? I see nothing there i could watch or i will be able to watch.

Yeah, sorry! ](*,)
"We cannot have homeland security unless we understand that the whole planet is our homeland "
Ver Greeneyes

Post by Ver Greeneyes »

Pravda wrote:Wow, Spidermonkey is now almost as fast as v8 even without generational garbage collection. This makes me wonder what kind of speed-ups we will see once ggc is in a functional state.

I think that's very hard to say. Firefox already outperforms Chrome in terms of memory usage, and with things like incremental GC the pauses related to GC have already been greatly reduced. So in essence I think a lot of the low-hanging fruit has already been plucked without GGC, since that's such a big project. I'm sure it'll still be an improvement, or they wouldn't be sinking so much time into it, but performance is usually an area where you see diminishing returns as you get closer and closer to the theoretical best.
ferongr

Post by ferongr »

I'm hopeful for future advances. We never know what a researched may come up with that may enable advances in the future. But indeed you are correct that with the current technologies we're reaching the theoretical best and browser performance is today more constrained by other things that have not gotten attention due to lack of comprehensive popular benchmarks pushing for their improvement One example is WebGL which in my experience is generally dog-slow and produces 2005 graphics utilizing 2012 hardware. Or DOM performance when manipulating.
What Falken giveth, the tōge taketh away.
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

Ver Greeneyes wrote:
Pravda wrote:Wow, Spidermonkey is now almost as fast as v8 even without generational garbage collection. This makes me wonder what kind of speed-ups we will see once ggc is in a functional state.

I think that's very hard to say. Firefox already outperforms Chrome in terms of memory usage, and with things like incremental GC the pauses related to GC have already been greatly reduced. So in essence I think a lot of the low-hanging fruit has already been plucked without GGC, since that's such a big project. I'm sure it'll still be an improvement, or they wouldn't be sinking so much time into it, but performance is usually an area where you see diminishing returns as you get closer and closer to the theoretical best.

Exactly - the only thing that could make a huge difference in GGC is that it'll make SuperSnappy possible, which in turn will make multiprocess/e10s possible.
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

iwod wrote:Does anyone know why removing the decompiler would actually causes an increase in code and file size?

What did you get this from?
Josa

Post by Josa »

GGC will end with JS fragmentation, which I think it's gonna be the last big gain in memory usage. Checking my about:memory, js-main-runtime-gc-heap-committed unused is always between 40% and 60%. From 20MB to 50MB on a regular session.
iwod

Post by iwod »

Grantius wrote:
iwod wrote:Does anyone know why removing the decompiler would actually causes an increase in code and file size?

What did you get this from?

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=718969
iwod

Post by iwod »

Josa wrote:GGC will end with JS fragmentation, which I think it's gonna be the last big gain in memory usage. Checking my about:memory, js-main-runtime-gc-heap-committed unused is always between 40% and 60%. From 20MB to 50MB on a regular session.

Yes this, along with the new baseline compiler ( which uses less memory ) will make Firefox even more memory efficient then before.