Javascript Performance Thread

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Omega X

Re: Javascript Performance Thread

Post by Omega X »

iwod wrote:And Generational GC. Actually i posted this in About:Snappy but none of those items are being worked on at the moment.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2367863&start=570

And that is what we hope it will improve and become much better. Over the years we have all bet of faster Javascript Engine or what ever other tech that was suppose to improve. And none of it did. Or they did but wasn't making a big enough difference.

I was thinking if mozilla needs resources on this features we could do a KickStarter project on it.

I like how you distorted that into "Nothing being worked on". Which isn't true. You're talking about very big architectural changes. That stuff doesn't happen overnight.

Every improvement down the line helped. Even the JS engine stuff. Just because its not a night and day change, doesn't mean it was bad or "didn't help".
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Also, if you didn't hear the news from last year: http://allthingsd.com/20111222/google-w ... and-yahoo/ I seriously doubt your Kickstarter would rake in more than that.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
iwod

Post by iwod »

Omega X wrote:
iwod wrote:And Generational GC. Actually i posted this in About:Snappy but none of those items are being worked on at the moment.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2367863&start=570

And that is what we hope it will improve and become much better. Over the years we have all bet of faster Javascript Engine or what ever other tech that was suppose to improve. And none of it did. Or they did but wasn't making a big enough difference.

I was thinking if mozilla needs resources on this features we could do a KickStarter project on it.

I like how you distorted that into "Nothing being worked on". Which isn't true. You're talking about very big architectural changes. That stuff doesn't happen overnight.

Every improvement down the line helped. Even the JS engine stuff. Just because its not a night and day change, doesn't mean it was bad or "didn't help".

GGC is being worked on, SuperSnappy is being halted. OMTC is only on B2G, which means Firefox will come later. It certainly helps, but most of the attention Mozilla are focusing these days are Firefox Android and Fireofx OS.

Most of those, SupperSnappy from e10s, and GGC we have been talking for years. These aren't overnight change, but they have already taken fair a bit time already.

The good thing is Chrome seems to be adding its bloat recently and has been starting and running slower then previous version.
RyanVM

Post by RyanVM »

Yeah, Mozilla JS development is obviously at a standstill lately. It's not like they only recently landed a completely new JIT after a year of development or something. And GGC development is being actively worked on (njn and terrence to name a couple off-hand), but it's a massive change that basically alters the fundamentals of how Gecko uses memory (and breaks many underlying assumptions in the mean time). That's not a rewrite that happens overnight.

I agree that it's somewhat disappointing that things seem a bit stagnant on the desktop side, but keep in mind that the push for FirefoxOS' first release is driving a lot of those decisions. And as others have mentioned, while it means that Android/FirefoxOS are getting some improvements first (like OMTC), the groundwork being laid will eventually land there too.
Zlip792

Post by Zlip792 »

Chrome 25 got Generational DOM GC, I know it is not related to FF achievement but still it is awesome thingy since it reduced their memory consumption quite a bit like from results:
"24 MB reduction of Facebook and 235 MB reduction on Google Calendar"
iwod

Post by iwod »

Zlip792 wrote:Chrome 25 got Generational DOM GC, I know it is not related to FF achievement but still it is awesome thingy since it reduced their memory consumption quite a bit like from results:
"24 MB reduction of Facebook and 235 MB reduction on Google Calendar"

I thought they had GGC long ago?
Ver Greeneyes

Post by Ver Greeneyes »

Apparently their generational GC didn't include the Domain Object Model (DOM)? Not sure whether that means their GGC was only used for JavaScript code, or if it included more things outside their DOM implementation.
cyko_01

Post by cyko_01 »

Ver Greeneyes wrote:Apparently their generational GC didn't include the Domain Object Model (DOM)? Not sure whether that means their GGC was only used for JavaScript code, or if it included more things outside their DOM implementation.

DOM = DOCUMENT Object Model - the objects contained in a document. In javascript they might be referenced as "document.formName.inputName" for example

I imagine Generational DOM GC refers to the gc required when objects are constantly created/removed/changed in the dom
Zlip792

Post by Zlip792 »

Chrome puts another dent and extended the gap between IM(JM+IM+TI) and v8 on Kraken benchmark.
Ver Greeneyes

Post by Ver Greeneyes »

cyko_01 wrote:DOM = DOCUMENT Object Model - the objects contained in a document.

Whoops, bit of a brain fart on my part.
KilliK

Post by KilliK »

Zlip792 wrote:Chrome puts another dent and extended the gap between IM(JM+IM+TI) and v8 on Kraken benchmark.

Ιτ is not a surprise. You just can't beat a multi-billion dollars company with unlimited resources.
Regardless the hard work that the Mozilla people do, their technology will always will be 10 steps behind the competition.
I only hope that the whole hard work they are doing with IM, is not for nothing and that it will eventually help improve the Firefox platform a lot more, regardless if it can't "beat" those, made only for promotion,contest benchmarks.
Zlip792

Post by Zlip792 »

ominus wrote:
Zlip792 wrote:Chrome puts another dent and extended the gap between IM(JM+IM+TI) and v8 on Kraken benchmark.

Ιτ is not a surprise. You just can't beat a multi-billion dollars company with unlimited resources.
Regardless the hard work that the Mozilla people do, their technology will always will be 10 steps behind the competition.
I only hope that the whole hard work they are doing with IM, is not for nothing and that it will eventually help improve the Firefox platform a lot more, regardless if it can't "beat" those, made only for promotion,contest benchmarks.

I understand this fact and I personally prefer real life performance what actually matters, IM now also have off the main thread compilation which JM does not have so it does not put the chrome of Firefox in strain when compiling which good achievement. Lets hope they continue the good work.
ssj12

Post by ssj12 »

So whats the next set of major improvements planned for ff 20 and 21?
iwod

Post by iwod »

ssj12 wrote:So whats the next set of major improvements planned for ff 20 and 21?

I think GGC will land first out of all the big listed items. But very unlikely for 21 or even 22.