How do I enable add-ons for 4.0 beta 2?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
tanstaafl

How do I enable add-ons for 4.0 beta 2?

Post by tanstaafl »

All of my themes and extensions are disabled except for the default theme , the feedback extension , ad block plus and the persona. I have extensions.checkCompatability.4.0 , extensions.checkCompatability.4.0b and extensions.checkUpdateSecurity set false . The nightly tester tools and mr tech toolkit don't support 4.0b2.

How do I override this and enable them? I don't want to edit the add-on or add a setting with a GUID since I'll have to redo that everytime I update the add-on. I understand some of them truly might not work, but some should. Until 4.0 beta 1 I've had very good luck bypassing version checking and getting almost all add-ons to work.

The red error message "Incompatible with Firefox 4.0b2" is not very informative. The only disabled extensions/theme that doesn't have it is the microsoft .net framework assistant 0.0.0 (which I never wanted in the first place) . Why doesn't it have the same error message?

4.0beta 1 disabled my theme but still used it. 4.0beta 2 switched to the default theme and enabled the disabled bookmarks toolbar (which I disabled again).
couldabeen

Re: How do I enable add-ons for 4.0 beta 2?

Post by couldabeen »

I know it's not what you want to hear, but I had to go into the Extensions folder and changed the >max:version to 4.0b6 for the extensions I have that didn't work.
I still had a couple that said "Incompatible with Firefox 4.0b2", but the extensions worked. And after another restart that message went away except for one extension that was truly not valid for 4.0b2, so I disabled that one for now.
Sure wish 'nightly tester tools' would get fixed soon.
I don't use a theme in the 4 beta, so I can't respond to that.
Last edited by couldabeen on July 27th, 2010, 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free Your Mind, And Your A$$ Will Follow - Funkadelic, 1970
pal-moz

Post by pal-moz »

exit Minefield,
delete extensions.** files in profile
or/and
edit maxversion in install.rdf in profile (extensions) folder

>The only disabled extensions/theme that doesn't have it is the microsoft .net framework assistant 0.0.0
this issue will be fixed with new profile.

create new profile
copy extensions folder from old profile to new profile
start Minefield, your add-ons will be back with settings, but you have to re-set some settings
[Desktop] Windows 7 Professional (32bit/SP1) / Geforce GTX 660Ti 2GB (350.12) / 4GB RAM
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I tried to install the Add-on Compatibility Reporter add-on because it claims to support Firefox 3.5 - 4.0b3pre and it states "After installing the Add-on Compatibility Reporter, your incompatible extensions will become enabled for you to test whether they still work with the version of Firefox or Thunderbird that you're using."

It wouldn't install, I got a "The add-on from addons.mozilla.org could not be installed because it does not match the add-on Firefox expects.". The current version of that add-on is 0.5.1. I also tried 0.5 because it was the only other version that stated "Firefox 4's new Add-ons Manager is now supported". I got the same error message.

Please tell me there is some solution other than editing the install.rdf file in each add-on per http://kb.mozillazine.org/Editing_an_ad ... patibility
pal-moz

Post by pal-moz »

tanstaafl wrote:Please tell me there is some solution other than editing the install.rdf file in each add-on per http://kb.mozillazine.org/Editing_an_ad ... patibility

no need to edit each/all add-ons files.
at least "Nightly tester Tools" and/or "mr tech toolkit" and/or "Add-on Compatibility Reporter"

if these are already installed,
edit these files, delete extensions.***, then start Minefield.

couldabeen wrote: I had to go into the Extensions folder and changed the >max:version to 4.0b6 for the extensions I have that didn't work.

5.0pre(not 4.0b6) is also OK. (I use this)
[Desktop] Windows 7 Professional (32bit/SP1) / Geforce GTX 660Ti 2GB (350.12) / 4GB RAM
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

^Yes, you are right. I checked again and found that I did have to change it to 5.0Pre.
^^ am looking into that Add-on Compatibility Reporter extension to see if I can install them.

EDIT: This is the tab that displays after installing Add-on Compatibility Reporter 0.5.1 ( I haven't found 0.5 yet).

Add-ons for Firefox Firefox

Add-on Compatibility Reporter has been installed

It's easy to help us make sure add-ons are updated in time for the release of the next version of Firefox.
Here's how to get started reporting add-on compatibility:

1 Firefox has now been configured to let you install and use add-ons that may not yet work with this version. In order to start using incompatible add-ons you already have installed, you'll need to restart Firefox one more time.

2 As you start browsing and using your add-ons, take careful note of anything that seems different from when you last used the extension. This might be a display glitch, such as a menu item missing, or something more serious, like the add-on not working at all or showing errors.

3 Once you know whether a particular add-on works properly or has problems, open the Add-ons Manager and click Compatibility next to the add-on to let Mozilla know what you found in your testing. Submitting a report will help us tell the add-on developer whether their add-on is working properly in this version or might need some fixes.

If you upgrade to a new version of Firefox or update your add-ons, your reports for the old versions will be hidden to allow you to test the new version. If you have any questions, please ask in our forums.

Thousands of add-ons are made by our community every year, and your assistance with compatibility testing helps us make sure these add-ons stay useful as we strive to provide a great user experience. Thank you!

EDIT2: The Add-ons tab now shows a 'compatibility' button for each extension. When I click it, it says 'This add-on no longer works'. But the Add-ons do work.
I am going to remove it
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

Before I removed the Add-on Compatibility Reporter, I clicked the 'Show more' button, and it had a line stating 'This extension allows you to report extensions that no longer work'. So I don't think it was really meant to make 'incompatible' extensions compatible.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"I haven't found 0.5 yet). "

Scroll down https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/15003/ until you find "view all versions" in the bottom right corner. If you click on it it will list each version, along with a link to install that version.

I used the Add-on Compatibility Reporter a long while ago, and it was strictly a reporting tool then. I assume the ability to enable add-ons is a new feature.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I tried 0.5.1 yet again (from the list of all versions) and this time it installed. It enabled all extensions and added enable buttons for the themes. I selected a theme, enabled it, and pressed the restart now button.

It doesn't start Firefox with the home page (its a empty tab). I can live with that. I'm using the Chromifox basic theme. Xmarks seemed to work, but when I told it to sync it never finished so I suspect that extension truly doesn't work with 4.0b2. Some other extensions such as FlashBlock work okay.
umqrheqm

Post by umqrheqm »

Never mind.
trieste

Post by trieste »

Why do you need to edit maxversions? Don't you just create a Boolean value named "extensions.CheckCompatibility.4.0b" and set it to false?
BigWillyStyle42

Post by BigWillyStyle42 »

tanstaafl wrote:The red error message "Incompatible with Firefox 4.0b2" is not very informative. The only disabled extensions/theme that doesn't have it is the microsoft .net framework assistant 0.0.0 (which I never wanted in the first place) . Why doesn't it have the same error message?

That message will remain even after you've added the boolean to disable compatibility checking.
mac404

Post by mac404 »

tanstaafl wrote:I tried 0.5.1 yet again (from the list of all versions) and this time it installed. It enabled all extensions and added enable buttons for the themes. I selected a theme, enabled it, and pressed the restart now button.

It doesn't start Firefox with the home page (its a empty tab). I can live with that. I'm using the Chromifox basic theme. Xmarks seemed to work, but when I told it to sync it never finished so I suspect that extension truly doesn't work with 4.0b2. Some other extensions such as FlashBlock work okay.

There is a newer version of Xmarks that works. You can find it here: http://jezebel.foxmarks.com/xmarks-3.8.3.xpi
mac404

Post by mac404 »

quirK wrote:Why do you need to edit maxversions? Don't you just create a Boolean value named "extensions.CheckCompatibility.4.0b" and set it to false?

I do this, and it works well for me. So much simpler.
pal-moz

Post by pal-moz »

quirK wrote:Why do you need to edit maxversions? Don't you just create a Boolean value named "extensions.CheckCompatibility.4.0b" and set it to false?

no need to change every time when new version is out.
if edit maxversion to "5.0pre","6.0pre"..., you use your add-ons till 5.0pre(6.0pre....) will be out with no change.

if using "extensions.CheckCompatibility.4.0b", you have to change 4.0, 5.0a, 5.0b....
have to edit every time when new version will be out.