Firefox 4 Feature Directory

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
patrickjdempsey

Re: Firefox 4 Feature Directory

Post by patrickjdempsey »

So maybe it needs to be in red. ;)
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Probably opening up a can of worms, but I reorganized some of the list and retooled the Red item description to make it easier to understand.
patrickjdempsey

Some changes coming with Personas as well... they are discussing changing the name to "Backgrounds" and allowing them to be loaded with 3rd party themes again. And you might as well make the Addons Manager red as there will be a New NEW Addon's Manager before it's all over, this graphic shows both, and was taken from meeting notes from last week:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/images/7/7d/Di ... themes.png
http://blog.mozilla.com/meeting-notes/archives/344

Here is the bug on RE-allowing Personas (Backgrounds) with Themes:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=520124
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
sabret00the

Post by sabret00the »

I think I read somewhere saying that the new Download Manager won't make 4.0.

Also Jetpacks are essentially restartless extensions and have gone live. The Add-On builder is freely available to use via the AMO.
mistertwol

Post by mistertwol »

sabret00the wrote:I think I read somewhere saying that the new Download Manager won't make 4.0.

Also Jetpacks are essentially restartless extensions and have gone live. The Add-On builder is freely available to use via the AMO.

Sigh. Like usual. I hope you read wrong, though.
Terepin

Post by Terepin »

patrickjdempsey wrote:And you might as well make the Addons Manager red as there will be a New NEW Addon's Manager before it's all over, this graphic shows both, and was taken from meeting notes.

No. That AOM is the old one, just in In-Content UI.
Hope dies penultimate. What remains till the end is sarcasm. And I have plenty of it.
Erunno

Post by Erunno »

Omega X wrote:Its come to my attention that we get many people here that just don't realize how much work is going into Firefox 4.

Actually, my impression is that many people are not exactly impressed by what they perceive mostly as playing catch-up by Mozilla and not so much doubt about the effort that is going into Firefox 4.0. And people can't be really blamed for that as the first 2 betas introduced user facing features which have already been present in other browsers for some time (app tabs, tabs on top, a default theme which does not blind you on Vista/7, etc.). And to make matters worse, some innovative features/interface tweaks which are unique to Firefox like TabCandy, Account Manager or the new download manager seem to be on the verge of being postponed to 4.1.
Last edited by Erunno on August 3rd, 2010, 5:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
The previous signature has been removed again. Enjoy your month off, Erunno.
sabret00the

Post by sabret00the »

Erunno wrote: And to make matters worse, some innovative features/interface tweaks which are unique to Firefox like TabCandy, Account Manager or the new download manager seem to be on the verge of being postponed to 4.1.

TabCandy will be called bloat after the infatuation wears off. Account Manager is good, and as far as I know should be present in the next beta. The new DLM is already available in Opera and has been for some time.

The implementation of App Tabs has caused problems because while they're perceived as merely Pinned Tabs, Firefox loses the buzz it should have. Hopefully they'll be feature complete in the next beta.
NoNameReally

Post by NoNameReally »

About the in-content UI, I believe everything is going in-content. Options screen, customize screen, download manager, bookmarks, history, everything. But I may be wrong. I think that's the plan, at least.
Erunno

Post by Erunno »

sabret00the wrote:TabCandy will be called bloat after the infatuation wears off.

Surprisingly I'm quite optimistic that TabCandy could become the next AwesomeBar. People bitched about that too in the beginning but it's now one of the most cited features people miss from Firefox when moving to other browsers or the reason they stick with it. It really depends on how well implemented it will be. At least I would welcome our new tab overlords with open arms. :D

The new DLM is already available in Opera and has been for some time.

Really? At least the Mac version of 10.60 has the same old in-content download manager Opera always had for the past few years, nothing comparable to the doorhanger notification DM which Faaborg (?) presented in mock-ups some moths ago.
mistertwol

Post by mistertwol »

sabret00the wrote:
Erunno wrote: And to make matters worse, some innovative features/interface tweaks which are unique to Firefox like TabCandy, Account Manager or the new download manager seem to be on the verge of being postponed to 4.1.

link/screenshot? I don't feel like downloading opera.
sabret00the

Post by sabret00the »

mistertwol wrote:
sabret00the wrote:

link/screenshot? I don't feel like downloading opera.

patrickjdempsey

Look's like the old SeaMonkey DLM stuffed in a tab to me. ;)
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

Erunno wrote:
Omega X wrote:Its come to my attention that we get many people here that just don't realize how much work is going into Firefox 4.

Actually, my impression is that many people are not exactly impressed by what they perceive mostly as playing catch-up by Mozilla and not so much doubt about the effort that is going into Firefox 4.0. And people can't be really blamed for that as the first 2 betas introduced user facing features which have already been present in other browsers for some time (app tabs, tabs on top, a default theme which does not blind you on Vista/7, etc.). And to make matters worse, some innovative features/interface tweaks which are unique to Firefox like TabCandy, Account Manager or the new download manager seem to be on the verge of being postponed to 4.1.

That's your opinion obviously. But the fact remains that some just don't know how much work is going into evolving THIS browser. Plain and simple.

This thread is to expose the features being created and bugs being fixed. Now If you have a problem with that, I suggest that you take it elsewhere.
Erunno

Post by Erunno »

sabret00the wrote:Image

Hardly comparable to what is planned for Firefox:

Are there mock-ups for the UI which appears when clicking "Show all downloads"?