Firefox 4. How to disable 'Switch to tab'?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
patrickjdempsey

Re: Firefox 4. How to disable 'Switch to tab'?

Post by patrickjdempsey »

bobthescv wrote:Horrible, horrible feature. Almost as bad as when the firefox 2 url bar was taken from us.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.urlba ... t.behavior

Set this pref to 32 and you have your Firefox 2.0 behavior back.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
switchtotabsucks

Post by switchtotabsucks »

this should not be the default behavior

please fix it
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Um, since we're not Mozilla, we're not the ones who could fix it, if it was decided that the default should be changed.

This forum is not run by or formally associated with Mozilla. We're an independent user community. Please don't jump to the wrong conclusion because Mozilla is part of the forum name.
resuna

Post by resuna »

I just discovered this new feature.

These guys have to be kidding.

I opened a new window, typed in the URL I was on, and it STILL "switched to tab" to a previous window.

Given that the whole impetus behind Firefox was making it configurable, the cost to giving people an option (maybe 'about:new-features') to TURN OFF idiotic new options like this when they upgrade should be pretty damn low.

[plus, having the first few responses to this being things like 'this is the wrong place to talk about this' and 'it's going to be in the release, get used to it'... wot?]
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

resuna, I think you're missing the fact that the original post was to Firefox Support but the OP was using a pre-release build of Firefox. Discussion of pre-release versions belongs in the Builds forum. That's because what may at first appear to be a "problem" may instead be an intentional change in functionality or in the user interface. That doesn't speak to the desirability of such changes but does prevent confusion when those trying to help can't find the "problem" in the then current release version.
Caspid

Post by Caspid »

I can't get switch to tab to work. For example, say I have Google keyworded and open it in a tab. Opening a new tab and entering the keyword will open Google in that tab as well, instead of switching to the previous tab.
"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." -Calvin
kgbme

Post by kgbme »

@DanRaisch sorz, (still) had 2 post (here);
patrickjdempsey wrote:Set this pref to 32 and you have your Firefox 2.0 behavior back.

Switch to tab still there w/32 (127 is also a no, it's not the way it works unfortunately - pointless + here).

So, really, what are the options (in this thread)?

Edit: The add-ons work perfectly. =)
  • switch-to-tab Blacklist 1.1 needs to be configured, just set the extension.switchToTabBlacklist.blacklist preference accessible via about:config to: [".*"]
  • & the Switch to Tab no more 0.0.1 works out-of-teh-box.
pls disregard my (previous) disillusioned ff => 4.x posts, tnx. I've embraced it; apologies.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

nimd4 wrote:
patrickjdempsey wrote:Set this pref to 32 and you have your Firefox 2.0 behavior back.

Switch to tab still there w/32 (127 is also a no, it's not the way it works unfortunately - pointless + here).

I never said it was. I specifically mentioned that for the benefit of bobthescv who was bemoaning the loss of the Firefox 2.0 urlbar, which is why I specifically quoted his statement. Quotes are generally used in forums to provide context for statements earlier in the flow.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
panzercracker

Post by panzercracker »

I'm using 10.0.2 version. It's not only still have annoying "Switch to tab" but also have an "improve": close the tab when click the middle mouse. OK, time to back to 3.6 .
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

panzercracker wrote:I'm using 10.0.2 version. It's not only still have annoying "Switch to tab" but also have an "improve": close the tab when click the middle mouse. OK, time to back to 3.6 .

OK.
Kaoxt

Post by Kaoxt »

panzercracker wrote:I'm using 10.0.2 version. It's not only still have annoying "Switch to tab" but also have an "improve": close the tab when click the middle mouse. OK, time to back to 3.6 .

Just use this Extension: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... b-no-more/
James

Post by James »

panzercracker wrote:OK, time to back to 3.6 .

The old Firefox 3.6 (3.6.27 is current) may finally be done (EOL) in April at latest with no more security updates after then.

Locking this oldie.