Discuss JaegerMonkey and bugs here

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
nemm

Re: Discuss JaegerMonkey and bugs here

Post by nemm »

Littlemutt wrote:It was just reported to me that today's nightly build has issues/crashes:

today's trunk build crashes on non SSE2 CPUs with Jaegermonkey turned on
http://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/i ... 4d02100912

I'm having instant crashes with JaegerMonkey build. As soon as I open Firefox and enter some address, Firefox crashes. I reverted to the previous build. Bummer. :(

http://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/bp-4327fd58-aff9-49df-94bc-13f0f2100911
http://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/bp-ec66bb4a-3e0e-4263-8c54-7769b2100911
http://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/bp-acbeebe5-ac9e-47ff-a124-e0efb2100911
http://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/bp-9695ddae-c634-4e68-b4c7-c3d6c2100911
insano

Post by insano »

Is this a known JM Bug?
Clean profile, methodjit enabled on content, tracejit disabled on content, logon to GMail, click on any mail. Upon trying to return to Inbox or any other folder, firefox either stops with the "Loading... "message for GMail or it finishes loading but shows no emails.
It works with tracing and method jit enabled.
bala_gamer

Post by bala_gamer »

sys: e7200 @ 3.6 ghz
9600 gt 1gb ddr3
4gb DDR 2 @ 880 mhz

Richards scores best in this build....
Lets hope others do the same in the upcoming builds
System : E7200 @ 3.6 ghz, 4GB DDR 2 @ 900 MHZ, MSI 9600GT 1GB, ST3500320AS, ST3320620AS.
Browser: firefox 3.6.10, ff4 nightly, chrome 7
sabret00the

Post by sabret00the »

WildcatRay wrote:
sipowicz wrote:
sabret00the wrote:So just to confirm, to turn JM on, we set all of the prefs in the first post to true?

Yes inquiring mind want to know?

methodjit.chrome is not yet on by default. More so that the others, use at your own risk.

EDIT: tracejit.chrome was not on by default until well after tracejit.content was on by default. JM is mimicking TM in that regard.

Sorry, my brain is like swamp vomit today, I'm sure I'll read this tomorrow and wonder what was wrong with me. But was that a yes? Turn all to 'true'?
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

@sabret00the,

As I said, methodjit.content--JM for web page content--is now on by default. methodjit.chrome--JM for the browser and its add-ons--is off by default. That means in the eyes of the developers, you turn on methodjit.chrome AT YOUR OWN RISK, that it is not yet ready for full blown testing on the Trunk builds. Thus, just keeping the default settings you will be using/testing JM for web page content.

Also, looks like the Google Maps JM bug has been fixed. I was able to view, get directions and move and scroll maps on there using today's build.
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
WonderCsabo

Post by WonderCsabo »

Yes.

bala_gamer: V8 is a very wrong test, and Fx wont be faster on that than Chrome. They're focusing on real world cases.
Terepin

Post by Terepin »

Around 460ms in SS, not so much improvement, plus entire browser reacts a lot worse. Now this is what I'm calling "speed up"...
Hope dies penultimate. What remains till the end is sarcasm. And I have plenty of it.
sabret00the

Post by sabret00the »

WildcatRay wrote:@sabret00the,

As I said, methodjit.content--JM for web page content--is now on by default. methodjit.chrome--JM for the browser and its add-ons--is off by default. That means in the eyes of the developers, you turn on methodjit.chrome AT YOUR OWN RISK, that it is not yet ready for full blown testing on the Trunk builds. Thus, just keeping the default settings you will be using/testing JM for web page content.

Also, looks like the Google Maps JM bug has been fixed. I was able to view, get directions and move and scroll maps on there using today's build.

Thanks and my apologies for having to make you type all of that.
neo86

Post by neo86 »

phuzi0n wrote:20-30 FPS in chrome but only 1-2 FPS in Firefox JM+TM. I tried enabling/disabling varying combinations of D2D/DW, D3D layers, and trace JIT content but I couldn't find any combination that worked above 2 FPS. Athlon X4 635 + Radeon HD4650.

Did you confirm acceleration was off in about:support? I think the fps drops after a certain point regardless of which browser as that's the nature of the demo, but with D2D/layers on it never goes above 2 fps even at the start. With D2D disabled it seems to at least start off at 7 fps for me before dropping.
Cru_N_cher

Post by Cru_N_cher »

i pinpointed my problem with joost.com wasn't about the localstorage @ all but the dom storage (which if you take it seriously is the same just another option) :P
http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.php?tit ... ntable=yes

joost.com doesn't like that to be disabled (and i guess many other Next gen Web apps also not, especially if they use the dojo framework it seems) ;)
and yeah the only bug on firefox sides seems that -safe-mode resetting doesn't reset it properly to true if it's falsed so bug report on it's way ;) (case closed, puhh i was scared that i had todo the whole profile conversion)

so no JM/TM problem @ all but a nasty Next Gen Web app thing, and a small bug in -safe-mode profile resetting :D

so whenever you see this
Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Security error" code: "1000" nsresult: "0x805303e8 (NS_ERROR_DOM_SECURITY_ERR)"

take first a look @ the dom.storage.enabled setting, most probably it gonna fix it if you enable it (which it is by default)
Last edited by Cru_N_cher on September 12th, 2010, 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
sciguyryan
Folder@Home

Post by sciguyryan »

WonderCsabo wrote:Yes.

bala_gamer: V8 is a very wrong test, and Fx wont be faster on that than Chrome. They're focusing on real world cases.

Quite true. I'm glad it's not only me that realizes that one :)
Cheers!

Ryan Jones
Cru_N_cher

Post by Cru_N_cher »

though this SCS could give a whole new way for user tracking (if they aren't enclosed in their own Application space) yet another one independent of Cookies or Flash Cookies (also all applications that you currently use cant avoid this) not really comfortable to know that. So i will try some tricking for such Web apps and see if i can get the Noscript or Addblock devs to implement them if they are successful ;)
mattcoz

Post by mattcoz »

Here are my SunSpider results, from slowest to fastest:

IE 9 Preview 3: 637.4ms +/- 0.4%
Firefox 4b6pre: 585.5ms +/- 4.3%
Opera 10.6.1: 456.2ms +/- 1.2%
Chrome 7: 445.9ms +/- 2.0%

Respectable result for the initial merge. This is with a fresh profile, with my default profile I get much higher and much more inconsistent results. I'm sure that has to do with some extensions I have installed.

I'm getting a crash on startup when using methodjit.chrome, but that's not expected to be stable yet. No crashes or bugs otherwise yet.
WhtDwrf

Post by WhtDwrf »

Littlemutt wrote:It was just reported to me that today's nightly build has issues/crashes:

today's trunk build crashes on non SSE2 CPUs with Jaegermonkey turned on
http://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/i ... 4d02100912

Insta-crash on Updating to 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:2.0b6pre) Gecko/20100912 Firefox/4.0b6pre' (Built from http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/cd3c926a7413);
Minefield just starts opening then:Temporary workarounds: (that WFW, hopefully more)
    1) It seems running Minefield in safe mode, does not crash, checked about:config and all JIT options were default:
      javascript.options.methodjit.chrome;false
      javascript.options.methodjit.content;true
      javascript.options.tracejit.chrome;true
      javascript.options.tracejit.content;true

Why safe mode works? Extensions causing JIT to execute SSE2 instructions? IDK :-k
    2) Turn off javascript.options.methodjit.content; javascript.options.tracejit.chrome; javascript.options.tracejit.content then don't need to use safe mode.
    Ed: 3) So far it looks like you can leave javascript.options.tracejit.chrome & javascript.options.tracejit.content = true, turning on javascript.options.methodjit.content causes crash (as soon as I change the config option).
Windows NT 5.1 XP SP3; Using latest Firefox & TB, release builds.. and Firefox.beta channel build candidates.
Testing with latest Nightly and Aurora builds.
BigWillyStyle42

Post by BigWillyStyle42 »

WhtDwrf wrote:1) It seems running Minefield in safe mode, does not crash, checked about:config and all JIT options were default:
    javascript.options.methodjit.chrome;false
    javascript.options.methodjit.content;true
    javascript.options.tracejit.chrome;true
    javascript.options.tracejit.content;true

Why safe mode works? Extensions causing JIT to execute SSE2 instructions? IDK :-k

Safe mode disables JIT.