FF 4.0 Beta 6 - Taskbar icons with multiple profiles

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
wmarcello

FF 4.0 Beta 6 - Taskbar icons with multiple profiles

Post by wmarcello »

My wife and I each have a Firefox profile set up. With 3.6, I was able to easily pin 2 separate Firefox icons to the Windows 7 taskbar which we could run simultaneously. One would link to "-no-remote -p Profile1" and the other would link to "-no-remote -p Profile2".

I can't seem to get this to work in the newest Firefox beta (I didn't try it for betas 1-5). Depending on how I go about pinning the icons, one of two things happen:

1. Firefox will not let me pin 2 icons to the taskbar. Opening both profiles simultaneously (by clicking on shortcuts I've manually created in a folder) will cause the one taskbar icon to look like it has 2 windows open.

2. If I do manage to get 2 icons on the taskbar (by manually messing with the Windows folder containing the taskbar shortcuts), clicking one taskbar icon will make both appear active.

Can anybody help with this? Thanks!
wmarcello

Re: FF 4.0 Beta 6 - Taskbar icons with multiple profiles

Post by wmarcello »

I just found another piece of odd behaviour in all of this. I'm starting to think this is a bug instead of intended behaviour.

If I were to try to pin Firefox 4 onto an empty Windows 7 taskbar, the only way that it will work properly is to run Firefox first, and then right-click that active taskbar icon and select "Pin this program to taskbar". The other method of right-clicking a program shortcut and selecting "Pin to Taskbar" will appear to work, but when that pinned program is then run, it creates a second icon in the taskbar, marks that one as active, and then eventually (after a few seconds) deactivates the original pinned icon.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

Windows 7 does weird thing with taskbar icons if you do things with the command line flags like -p and -no-remote.
wmarcello

Post by wmarcello »

KWierso wrote:Windows 7 does weird thing with taskbar icons if you do things with the command line flags like -p and -no-remote.

Apparently. :) Worked fine with 3.6 though, so I would assume something must have changed on Mozilla's end.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

IIRC, it groups open windows by some application ID. Having two Firefox profiles open at the same time would still only have a single application ID.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

For what it's worth, it also groups 32 and 64 bit Firefox into a single taskbar icon...
wmarcello

Post by wmarcello »

KWierso wrote:IIRC, it groups open windows by some application ID. Having two Firefox profiles open at the same time would still only have a single application ID.

Interesting. So FF 3.6 must have created separate application IDs for each open profile...?
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

This must be a Windows problem, because I just set this up yesterday on XP so I could run 3.6, 4.0 Betas, and Minefield all in separate profiles and it works beautifully. Make sure your profile name is contained in quotation marks though.... they are not in your examples.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_manag ... ic_profile
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
wmarcello

Post by wmarcello »

patrickjdempsey wrote:This must be a Windows problem, because I just set this up yesterday on XP so I could run 3.6, 4.0 Betas, and Minefield all in separate profiles and it works beautifully. Make sure your profile name is contained in quotation marks though.... they are not in your examples.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_manag ... ic_profile

The quotation marks didn't make a difference here... I assume it would if my profile names contained spaces.

Right now on Windows 7 I have 4 profiles. One each for my wife and myself on 3.6, and one each again for 4.0. I can run the 3.6 profiles simultaneously no problem, and they create separate pinnable icons in the taskbar. I can even run the 3.6 profiles at the same time as one of the 4.0 profiles with no problem, and again they create separate pinnable icons in the taskbar. The problem only arises if I try to run two 4.0 profiles at the same time. Windows/Firefox will lump what would normally be 2 separate taskbar icons into the same icon, as if they were two separate windows.
Tss

Post by Tss »

Maybe a little off-topic, but does anyone know why extension windows now use the same icon as Firefox/Minefield in the taskbar, instead of their own? I see it happening with DOM Inspector and Stylish-Custom, and I wonder if it's a bug or intended behavior?
wmarcello

Post by wmarcello »

KWierso wrote:For what it's worth, it also groups 32 and 64 bit Firefox into a single taskbar icon...

That on its own seems like undesirable behaviour. Has there been a bug submitted?
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

wmarcello wrote:
KWierso wrote:For what it's worth, it also groups 32 and 64 bit Firefox into a single taskbar icon...

That on its own seems like undesirable behaviour. Has there been a bug submitted?

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=597911

I'm trying to figure out a patch for it right now, actually.
Rodze

Post by Rodze »

Maybe it is a consequence of the support 4.0b has for tab previews on the task bar. (3.6.x, you get only the preview of the current tab -> 4.0b, all tabs are previewed.)

Do you know how to file a bug in bugzilla? I think the 3.6 behavior is optimal.
wmarcello

Post by wmarcello »

No, I don't know how to fill a bug. I'm sure the process isn't hard, but I also don't want to clutter up the list with possible duplicates, or not provide enough info. I figure the best I can do is post here and let somebody more experienced submit the actual bug. KWierso actually briefly mentioned the multiple profile bug in his report about the 32-bit vs 64-bit bug. I imagine the two are related.

I do agree though that the 3.6 behaviour is ideal.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

wmarcello wrote:No, I don't know how to fill a bug. I'm sure the process isn't hard, but I also don't want to clutter up the list with possible duplicates, or not provide enough info. I figure the best I can do is post here and let somebody more experienced submit the actual bug. KWierso actually briefly mentioned the multiple profile bug in his report about the 32-bit vs 64-bit bug. I imagine the two are related.

I do agree though that the 3.6 behaviour is ideal.

Once the 32/64 bit bug gets fixed, check and see if it magically fixes the profile issues.

I doubt it would, but it's worth a shot...

I just realized today that my 64-bit build system isn't working at all, so progress might be slow (plus, they might not want to take this on so late in the process. It might get punted to Firefox 4.1+)