Nightly Tester Tools Resurrection

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
polidobj
Location: Maryland USA - im in ur tinderbox, crashtesting ur firefox

Nightly Tester Tools Resurrection

Post by polidobj »

http://harthur.wordpress.com/2010/10/18 ... urrection/
I've still got NTT installed so I like the idea. I really like having the build ID in the titlebar to easily see what build I'm running. I still use it to open my profile folder even though I know about:support has it too. That's what I'm used to doing. Inserting BuildID into textbox is something I use sometimes.

Anyone have any new feature ideas or comments?
Brian J Polidoro - Today's bugs brought to you by Raid. :P
Windows7 - Firefox user since ~Feb 2002
WildcatRay

Re: Nightly Tester Tools Resurrection

Post by WildcatRay »

I really miss the convenience that NTT provided before the overhaul of the browser/email program add-on manager. Being able to get a quick listing of my installed add-ons helped me stay on top of which ones were installed and enabled between multiple computers.

At least at the moment, I can still use NTT to add the build ID and profile to the title bar.
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
alex_mayorga

Post by alex_mayorga »

WildcatRay wrote:I really miss the convenience that NTT provided before the overhaul of the browser/email program add-on manager. Being able to get a quick listing of my installed add-ons helped me stay on top of which ones were installed and enabled between multiple computers.

At least at the moment, I can still use NTT to add the build ID and profile to the title bar.

You need Aero Window Title too or similar until Bug 583905 - Add Option To Show Title in New Windows Theme is fixed.
Last edited by alex_mayorga on October 18th, 2010, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

alex_mayorga wrote:
WildcatRay wrote:I really miss the convenience that NTT provided before the overhaul of the browser/email program add-on manager. Being able to get a quick listing of my installed add-ons helped me stay on top of which ones were installed and enabled between multiple computers.

You need [url]https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/221514/]Aero Window Title[/url] too or similar until Bug 583905 - Add Option To Show Title in New Windows Theme is fixed.

But I have what I want with NTT now. The version I have installed works with Minefield. (NTT for Firefox 4.0betas)
Ray

OS'es: 4 computers with Win10 Pro 64-bit; Current Firefox, Beta, Nightly, Chrome, Vivaldi
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

All I get is a 'corrupt add-on' message when trying to install the (NTT for Firefox 4.0betas).
Last edited by couldabeen on October 18th, 2010, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free Your Mind, And Your A$$ Will Follow - Funkadelic, 1970
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

I miss NTT, too, but it was lacking a feature to be able to swap the "Browser Name" with the Page Title - I have kept bumping Titlebar Tweaks (the CosmicCat version) to have that feature. I want the "Browser Name" (which I have configured to show the Profile name first) to appear first so that it is visible in the Windows Task Bar.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
aletaziar

Post by aletaziar »

I think it'd be better to just let it die. Add-on Compatibility Reporter allows incompatible extensions, but gives back feedback which I think is very useful to developers. The other functions I kind of considered miscellanea. About:support can list extensions and open the profile folder. As for build ID in the titlebar, it can be put in the titlebar with Customize Titlebar.

I realize some people would rather have Nightly Tester Tools continue because it would be easier on them, but consider that Add-on Compatibility Reporter and Nightly Tester Tools Resurrection are both Mozilla maintained extensions now. That sounds like a big waste of time and effort to me. I've been using Nightly Tester Tools for years, but I think Add-on Compatibility Reporter will be better in the long run for rapid extension updating and user feedback. The best case scenario I'm hoping for is Nightly Tester Tools and Add-on Compatibility Reporter getting merged together.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Actually I have found Add-On Compatibility Reporter to be slightly buggy and it does not in any real sense replace NTT
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

aletaziar wrote:I think it'd be better to just let it die. Add-on Compatibility Reporter allows incompatible extensions, but gives back feedback which I think is very useful to developers.

That is if you are assuming that developers have a way of easily getting to that feedback (which we do not), or that people give enough details to make that feedback useful enough to go through the trouble of finding it (which they do NOT). I would MUCH RATHER Mozilla encourage testers to use proper feedback channels like direct email or this forum than anonymous reports. I'm not sure what the point of anonymous reports are but if I honestly cannot be trusted with my user's email addresses then why am I trusted to build extensions?

https://forums.addons.mozilla.org/viewt ... =28&t=1669
https://forums.addons.mozilla.org/viewt ... =20&t=1769
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
aletaziar

Post by aletaziar »

Well, I certainly can't speak as a developer, but as a user I can say that ACR feels more useful. I don't believe NTT distinguished between forced extensions and normal extensions in the add-on window, which ACR does. I can't speak to the usability of the feedback, but personally it has not replaced my going through official channels for various extensions. I think it will create feedback from users who would otherwise never bother to respond in any way. I think the real problem then is that ACR doesn't channel this new wave of user feedback properly. I'll probably file a bug to include official extension links/email addresses in the feedback window. Although that would probably require that extensions have a support link included; I don't know if that happens in an official manner. If not, then ACR's developers would have to hunt down support links or parse them from extension descriptions, which seems iffy. They could fall back to using the extension homepage, I suppose.

@malliz
I agree ACR needs a lot of work. The feedback window is very barebones, and gives a black and white choice between working and broken. There are extensions that work but have simple styling issues or other minor flaws that I'd like to report, but the only way to provide written feedback is to mark the extension broken. An option to include an e-mail address for contact would be nice too. All in all though, I think it's encouraging that Mozilla is officially making this and I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that it'll improve eventually.

@everyone
For people who used NTT simply for extension compatibility, is ACR a sufficient replacement?
Does the majority of NTT's userbase actually use more than compatibility fixing?
@developers
Is ACR really pretty useless for you guys as it is right now?

EDIT: Reading the pages patrickjdempsey linked seems to answer the developer question.
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

If NTT Resurrected has most if not all the functionality of it's predecessor, nothing else can beat it.
Ray

Uncle Spellbinder

Post by Uncle Spellbinder »

Here it is. Updated Nov 4th and compatible with Firefox 4.0b1 - 4.0b8pre

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6543/
My Firefox Add-Ons Collection: Firefox Essentials
WildcatRay

Post by WildcatRay »

Uncle Spellbinder wrote:Here it is. Updated Nov 4th and compatible with Firefox 4.0b1 - 4.0b8pre

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6543/

I see that the "Add-on" list is extensions, themes, greasemonkey scripts, and plugins, i.e., java, flash, quicktime, etc.
Ray

a;skdjfajf;ak

Post by a;skdjfajf;ak »

The NTT update needs to be listed in the Firefox Menu button - rather than under 'tools' - those of us that don't use the Menu-bar must press ALT to get to Tools.
Uncle Spellbinder

Post by Uncle Spellbinder »

Littlemutt wrote:The NTT update needs to be listed in the Firefox Menu button - rather than under 'tools' - those of us that don't use the Menu-bar must press ALT to get to Tools.

Indeed. I brought that up in the Firefox Menu Discussion thread. I've gotten so use to the Firefox button, the old menu bar just doesn't feel right anymore.
My Firefox Add-Ons Collection: Firefox Essentials