Nightly Tester Tools Resurrection

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Harlequin99

Re: Nightly Tester Tools Resurrection

Post by Harlequin99 »

Littlemutt wrote:The NTT update needs to be listed in the Firefox Menu button - rather than under 'tools' - those of us that don't use the Menu-bar must press ALT to get to Tools.

This is being developed in bug 599788. Unfortunately given there is technical disagreement about the correct approach, no activity for over a month and the bug doesn't even have any blocking status I have doubts if this will happen for 4.0; a shame as it has been part of all the mockups since the beginning.
pal-moz

Post by pal-moz »

Harlequin99 wrote:
Littlemutt wrote:The NTT update needs to be listed in the Firefox Menu button - rather than under 'tools' - those of us that don't use the Menu-bar must press ALT to get to Tools.

This is being developed in bug 599788. Unfortunately given there is technical disagreement about the correct approach, no activity for over a month and the bug doesn't even have any blocking status I have doubts if this will happen for 4.0; a shame as it has been part of all the mockups since the beginning.

NTT 2.5.1

and Option dialog.
[Desktop] Windows 7 Professional (32bit/SP1) / Geforce GTX 660Ti 2GB (350.12) / 4GB RAM
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

Is there any documentation on how to customize the title? I think it's nightly.idtitle and nightly.templates.title but what are the allowable values for the latter?

Edit: Gotcha: browse to chrome://nightly/content/titlebar/customize.xul (AFAICT there's no easy way to bring it up, at least in this Seamonkey version).

Edit 2: Hm, clicking OK on that chrome page sets the pref but not the page title, which remains at [HTML <title>] - SeaMonkey {Build ID: 20110417003006} (the factory default, I think) even after restarting.
Last edited by tonymec on May 20th, 2011, 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards,
Tony
pal-moz

Post by pal-moz »

tonymec wrote:Is there any documentation on how to customize the title? I think it's nightly.idtitle and nightly.templates.title but what are the allowable values for the latter?

Edit: Gotcha: browse to chrome://nightly/content/titlebar/customize.xul (AFAICT there's no easy way to bring it up, at least in this Seamonkey version).

Firefox button >> Nightly Tester Tools > Customize Titlebar.
window like this open.
[Desktop] Windows 7 Professional (32bit/SP1) / Geforce GTX 660Ti 2GB (350.12) / 4GB RAM
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

pal-moz wrote:
tonymec wrote:Is there any documentation on how to customize the title? I think it's nightly.idtitle and nightly.templates.title but what are the allowable values for the latter?

window like this open.

I don't have a "Firefox button" in SeaMonkey. I have a "Nightly Tester Tools" submenu in the Tools menu but it doesn't include a "Customize Titlebar" menuitem. Here's what it contains:

Insert Build ID into Textbox (or "Copy Build ID to Clipboard")
Insert List of Extensions into Textbox (or "Copy List of Extensions to Clipboard")
Copy about:support to Pastebin
-----------------------------------
Open Profile Folder
Open Pushlog
Take Screenshot
Force Addon Compatibility
Best regards,
Tony
pal-moz

Post by pal-moz »

which "Nightly Tester Tools" version ?

and try
${Name} ${AppBuildID}
or
${DefaultTitle} ${AppBuildID}
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

pal-moz wrote:which "Nightly Tester Tools" version ?

pal-moz wrote:and try
${Name} ${AppBuildID}
or
${DefaultTitle} ${AppBuildID}

I tried ${DefaultTitle} - ${Name} ${Version} (${AppBuildID})

and got (at the moment, while typing the reply):

Post a reply • mozillaZine Forums - SeaMonkey {Build ID: 20110417003006}

(even after restarting). Apparently the title customization doesn't work in SeaMonkey 2.2a1pre.
Best regards,
Tony
xabolcs

Post by xabolcs »

tonymec wrote:
pal-moz wrote:

window like this open.

I don't have a "Firefox button" in SeaMonkey. I have a "Nightly Tester Tools" submenu in the Tools menu but it doesn't include a "Customize Titlebar" menuitem. Here's what it contains:

Insert Build ID into Textbox (or "Copy Build ID to Clipboard")
Insert List of Extensions into Textbox (or "Copy List of Extensions to Clipboard")
Copy about:support to Pastebin
Open Profile Folder
Open Pushlog
Take Screenshot
Force Addon Compatibility

Hi tonymec!

Sadly the Suite code of Titlebar customizing is still legacy: it is fully empty, won't update the youre titlebar! :(
See the blamed version of suite.js!

I refreshed the Thunderbird part in Bug 71557. Should I refresh create the Seamonkey code too? :)
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

xabolcs wrote:Hi tonymec!

Sadly the Suite code of Titlebar customizing is still legacy: it is fully empty, won't update the youre titlebar! :(
See the blamed version of suite.js!

I refreshed the Thunderbird part in Bug 71557. Should I refresh create the Seamonkey code too? :)

By all means, but please understand that the NTT project is severely undermanned at the moment. Don't feel let down if your patches don't get quick reviews or quick incorporation into the extension's "official" code: the team is doing all it can.
Best regards,
Tony
xabolcs

Post by xabolcs »

tonymec wrote:By all means, but please understand that the NTT project is severely undermanned at the moment. Don't feel let down if your patches don't get quick reviews or quick incorporation into the extension's "official" code: the team is doing all it can.

I know it, I experience it. So I won't feel let down with the slow patch throughput. :)
But You didn't answered my question! :wink:
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

xabolcs wrote:
tonymec wrote:By all means, but please understand that the NTT project is severely undermanned at the moment. Don't feel let down if your patches don't get quick reviews or quick incorporation into the extension's "official" code: the team is doing all it can.

I know it, I experience it. So I won't feel let down with the slow patch throughput. :)
But You didn't answered my question! :wink:

You asked, «Shall I refresh create» and I answered, «By all means» (which is a sort of emphatic «yes»). Alas, én nem beszélek magyarul. Ĉu vi parolas Esperanton? Parlez-vous français? Spreekt U Nederlands? Говорите ли вы по-русски?
Best regards,
Tony
xabolcs

Post by xabolcs »

tonymec wrote:You asked, «Shall I refresh create» and I answered, «By all means» (which is a sort of emphatic «yes»). Alas, én nem beszélek magyarul. Ĉu vi parolas Esperanton? Parlez-vous français? Spreekt U Nederlands? Говорите ли вы по-русски?

Uhh, re-reading your comment... I could have guessed. :oops:
Sorry!

By the way I gave a look to Seamonkey... well it won't be easy: :|
  • the main window behaves like a browser
  • the mail component is closer to tabmail than mainwindow to tabbrowser
  • and have other components, for e.g. compser which I didn't test

So I will need help.

At least defining what Titlebar Customizing should do:
  • customizing only the MainWindow?
  • or selectable list of components?
  • and override all with the same title template, or per type?
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

xabolcs wrote:
tonymec wrote:You asked, «Shall I refresh create» and I answered, «By all means» (which is a sort of emphatic «yes»). Alas, én nem beszélek magyarul. Ĉu vi parolas Esperanton? Parlez-vous français? Spreekt U Nederlands? Говорите ли вы по-русски?

Uhh, re-reading your comment... I could have guessed. :oops:
Sorry!

By the way I gave a look to Seamonkey... well it won't be easy: :|
  • the main window behaves like a browser
  • the mail component is closer to tabmail than mainwindow to tabbrowser
  • and have other components, for e.g. compser which I didn't test

So I will need help.

At least defining what Titlebar Customizing should do:
  • customizing only the MainWindow?
  • or selectable list of components?
  • and override all with the same title template, or per type?

Yes, in general the mailer component resembles Thunderbird much more than the browser one does Firefox. I think the comparison is in favour of SeaMonkey but as they say, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

IIRC, when I used Mr-Tech Toolkit it could customize the titlebar, with more options than NTT ever did (e.g. number of tabs, number of windows) but it computed them relative to the browser (number of browser tabs and of browser windows) then applied the same title to the mailer window). I don't use Composer, and IIRC MTT did not customize the title of the ChatZilla window.

I used to customize SeaMonkey with a title which, with the version I'm using at the moment, would say: "SeaMonkey 2.9a1 (20120108003001) rv:12.0a1 (1W, 215T)". (And yes, I really have that many tabs open at the moment in one browser window.)

So:
  • Do you think you can customize the browser title? Would the mailer title stay as now or get the browser customization?
  • Do you think you can customize the mailer title without affecting the browser?
  • Same or different title for the 3-pane window, the message-read window, the message-compose window?
  • What about the ChatZilla window? (Better leave untouched, I think)
  • What about the Calendar window, if the Lightning extension is installed? (If you want to conduct tests: Lightning is an extension with a binary executable, its version and platform must agree strictly with those of the mailer, see "Calendar Versions" on MDN). IIUC it can be used in its own window or in a mailer tab.
  • I'll let you decide how to handle the Composer window.
  • If you know even part of what should go in the wiki page about NTT settings, please fill it in.
Best regards,
Tony
xabolcs

Post by xabolcs »

tonymec wrote:Yes, in general the mailer component resembles Thunderbird much more than the browser one does Firefox. I think the comparison is in favour of SeaMonkey but as they say, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

IIRC, when I used Mr-Tech Toolkit it could customize the titlebar, with more options than NTT ever did (e.g. number of tabs, number of windows) but it computed them relative to the browser (number of browser tabs and of browser windows) then applied the same title to the mailer window). I don't use Composer, and IIRC MTT did not customize the title of the ChatZilla window.

I used to customize SeaMonkey with a title which, with the version I'm using at the moment, would say: "SeaMonkey 2.9a1 (20120108003001) rv:12.0a1 (1W, 215T)". (And yes, I really have that many tabs open at the moment in one browser window.)

To count tabs I useTab Counter.
There was a time when it showed a number between 400~500. :D
But due to the high memory usage (with BarTab Lite too) I bookmarked all rarely used tabgroups, so it decreased to < 50. :)

At first time, I don't want to add this tabcounter feature to NTT (or NTT's Seamonkey support), but later it could be.

tonymec wrote:Do you think you can customize the browser title? Would the mailer title stay as now or get the browser customization?

I think some code from browser.js could work. I don't plan to modify other type of windows.

tonymec wrote:Do you think you can customize the mailer title without affecting the browser?

Yes, IMHO it's possible. The messenger.js would be my friend.

The first and the second question/answer implied a feature request:
how should be implemented the paralell and independent titlebar customizing template?
One template for the main Seamonkey window, other for the mailer window.
Of course including how to modify options.xul to support this.

tonymec wrote:Same or different title for the 3-pane window, the message-read window, the message-compose window?

I will start from messenger.js, so the customizing going to modify the 3-pane window only.

tonymec wrote:What about the ChatZilla window? (Better leave untouched, I think)

Agreed to leave untouched.

tonymec wrote:What about the Calendar window, if the Lightning extension is installed? (If you want to conduct tests: Lightning is an extension with a binary executable, its version and platform must agree strictly with those of the mailer, see "Calendar Versions" on MDN). IIUC it can be used in its own window or in a mailer tab.

I have no experience with Lightning. Could this be detached to a separate bug?

tonymec wrote:I'll let you decide how to handle the Composer window.

I propose a separate bug for this too.

tonymec wrote:If you know even part of what should go in the wiki page about NTT settings, please fill it in.

In Bug 716829 I plan to migrate nightly.currChangeset and nightly.prevChangeset to
  • nightly.currChangeset.{App repository} and
  • nightly.prevChangeset.{App repository}
For e.g.: nightly.currChangeset.comm-aurora. And of course if the Seamonkey support introduce the new multiple customizing feature from above, there will be other new stuff, as you wrote.
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

Yes, all those ideas sound good to me.

Once we start customizing the title in different ways in different windows, we will need some way to keep them apart, of course. I suggest keeping nightly.templates.title as a default for all windows with customizable title (for compatibility with previous versions) and then use nightly.templates.title.browser, nightly.templates.title.mailnews as overrides. These would not have a default, and would fall back to the value of the other option when undefined (but setting them to the empty string would "remove" the default value setting for that window). What do you think? This would provide for extensibility.

About the options, IIUC at the moment the only way to set them is about:config (or the Thunderbird Config Editor). I suppose that if the number and complexity of the options keep growing, at some (indeterminate future) point a Preferences UI will have to be added. I don't think this is urgent, but let's keep it in view.

I'm going to start documentation of the options at https://wiki.mozilla.org/Auto-tools/Projects/NightlyTesterTools#Settings — but I don't know all, there'll be some blanks which will remain to be filled in.
Best regards,
Tony