Firefox 4.0b7 Discussion, Problems, Issues

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
purpler

Re: Firefox 4.0b7 Discussion, Problems, Issues

Post by purpler »

hmm, been browsing for some time now, didn't noticed any more glitches after changing gfx.font_rendering.directwrite.enabled to false .
emarkay

Post by emarkay »

goldyn chyld wrote:Is there a chance they will make Firefox thinner in width (above)? it's still quite narrow, esp. the Bookmarks Toolbar - they could easily make it thinner.
I've taken a screenshot of Chrome, Safari and FF - the latter clearly sticks out. It wouldn't cost them anything to make it thinner, would it? It'd look a lot neater imo.

How's this...
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2052041
Firefox 3.6x & Thunderbird 3.x - Ubuntu 10.04 LTS & Windows XP-SP3
(1) 2.8 G/2G RAM/ATI HD2600,512VRAM/SIS AC97 OB Audio (2) 2.9 G/3G RAM/NVIDIA 9500GT,1024VRAM/SB AudigySE Audio (3) 2.3 G/2G RAM/NVIDIA FX1500M,256VRAM/Sigmatel HD Audio
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Also, use Small Icons mode and the icons will be the same size as in Chrome/Safari.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
GatrNol

Firefox Icon - Taskbar

Post by GatrNol »

Excuse me if this has already been addressed, I searched (with what seemed like correct terms), but could not easily find this covered.

I am running Firefox 4.0b7 (the first Beta software I have tried) on Win7Pro -- 3 different computers.

The icon for Firefox in the Taskbar CHANGES. There are times when it is a single icon, then there are times when has 2-3 "shadows". In most programs that simply means that there is more than 1 window open. In Firefox I always have multiple tabs in multiple groups. HOWEVER, I may look and see just the single icon, at which point I can single click on it and it will bring up the last page I was on. Other times (this has happened just since starting to make this post) it is the multi (cascade?) look, and when I single click OR hover over it, it brings up a list above it of ALL the pages I have open... of which I must scroll up to one to select it to open.

Either way, it "works" for me - I just wonder why it is a certain way at one moment, then 5 minutes later, it is another. As I said, it does this on all my computers.

THANKS,

Tom
ShawnRC

Post by ShawnRC »

Unless you're getting some weird issues where it does the single icon w/ multiple tabs, it's a feature of Win7 (can be turned off in the Options menu if you wish if you look for the "Tab previews in taskbar" option).
GatrNol

Post by GatrNol »

ShawnRC wrote:Unless you're getting some weird issues where it does the single icon w/ multiple tabs, it's a feature of Win7 (can be turned off in the Options menu if you wish if you look for the "Tab previews in taskbar" option).

I understand the Win7 features enable that type of layered appearance to the icon - though I have NEVER seen this wishy-washy (on/off) action with anything except F4b7.. thus it's my conclusion that is is something in Firefox.

??

Tom
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

If you have more than XX number of tabs open, I think it stops tracking individual tabs/windows in the taskbar.

If you keep crossing over that number, the taskbar will show/hide the extra stuff.

I think it's something like 20 tabs.

If you go to about:config, you can change browser.taskbar.previews.max to some higher value if you get bothered by it enough.
larzon83

Post by larzon83 »

Hi there.
I have a problem with the latest beta.
I would call this a "repaint" issue. Every time I start FF or open a new window (e.g. Downloads, Preferences, normal window) I only get this:
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/7691/27031346.png
Its like frozen - the throbber, the "Connect..." message unless I move the window. Pages get loaded in the "background", e.g. my startpage is google and after moving the window I can see the contents and can work normally - in this window. Every new window is frozen again.

I'm on OS X 10.6.5 with all updates and FF beta7 (same problem in latest nightly).
I managed to track the problem down to two other applications running at the same time. If these apps are closed, everything is normal.
The first one is Displaperture (rounded corners for the menubar):
http://manytricks.com/displaperture/
The other one is Screenshade (to dimm the brightness of the screen):
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/27646/screenshade

I never had such problems with FF. Latest beta6 worked fine, too.
I tested on a totally new and empty vanilla profile -> same problem.
Also tested on my old macbook pro (virgin Snow Leopard) -> same problem

The only way I could get it working while these to apps are running, is to start FF in Safe-Mode.
Strange thing :/
I mean, this bug occurs on new and empty profiles (both, OSX and FF) with no Addons installed and no preferences changed.
What is getting deactivated when startsing in safe-mode? There must be some "core feature" of FF producing the bug.

Can someone on OS X please test/confirm this?
Thx in advance