Firefox 4.0b7 Discussion, Problems, Issues

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
xtrsports

Re: Firefox 4.0b7 Discussion, Problems, Issues

Post by xtrsports »

I was wondering has anyone notice that if you use: OPTIONS>Privacy:Use Custom Settings For History: Have Clear History when Firefox closes and in the Settings button you have your cookies unchecked and active logins unchecked.

Now after a restart of Firefox my App Tabs are gone. :cry:

Now if I use the Firefox button>History button>Clear recent history>Time Range to Clear:Everything> Unchecked cookies and active logins.
After a restart of Firefox the App Tabs are still there :D

Is this something the DEV's know about?
Anyone else try this and have the same result?
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

Clearing the history also clears the session history. So things like app tabs and 'show my windows and tabs from last time' won't work. It has been this way for a long time, and I'm pretty sure it's intentional.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
xtrsports

Post by xtrsports »

Yes but if you do it the second way that I posted your app tabs will be there. Use the firefox menu and the History button follow what I did the second time and app tabs stay. I can repeat this over and over
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

That's because using "Clear recent history" doesn't clear the active session (i.e. close all of your tabs). So the session is saved when Firefox exits.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
xtrsports

Post by xtrsports »

ok thanks for the info... app tabs going to be locked down in later builds with a special clear all app tabs button or in history??? so we can keep them if we do clear history when FF closes
goldyn chyld

Post by goldyn chyld »

patrickjdempsey wrote:You can't really honestly compare a publicly released piece of software to a beta release that is still missing appearance tweaks. Beta 8 and Beta 9 are supposed to be all about cleaning this kind of thing up.

Well well, if that's the case, then I'll take all my complaints back when I see it happen. ;)
asteko

Post by asteko »

Rendering is okay but interface is very slow on my old PC.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

asteko wrote:Rendering is okay but interface is very slow on my old PC.

I asked a long time ago if Firefox would obey system settings for disabling menu animations. The devs seemed puzzled as to why anyone would even want to disable animations let alone why Firefox should follow such a setting. There are quite a few fancy things that can be disabled via userChrome that will make it more snappy.... my themes will be disabling most of the animation stuff when I finish them. I don't have a reference handy for this ATM.

Anyway, are you running 4.0 in a clean profile with no extensions?
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
asteko

Post by asteko »

patrickjdempsey wrote:I asked a long time ago if Firefox would obey system settings for disabling menu animations.
Anyway, are you running 4.0 in a clean profile with no extensions?

Animations really suck. :cry:

I just installed Adblock Plus in a clean profile.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Does anyone know what's going on with the descriptions in the Addons Manager when you click on "More..."? In all of the nightlies, I've been seeing the "long" descriptions and in 4.0b7 I'm seeing the "short" descriptions. I really prefer the short descriptions... but it's weird that they are in the beta but not Minefield.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
custom.firefox.lady

Post by custom.firefox.lady »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Does anyone know what's going on with the descriptions in the Addons Manager when you click on "More..."? In all of the nightlies, I've been seeing the "long" descriptions and in 4.0b7 I'm seeing the "short" descriptions. I really prefer the short descriptions... but it's weird that they are in the beta but not Minefield.

Have you tried 4.0b7 with a new profile? I get "long" descriptions in a new profile (regardless of with nightly or b7), but the short ones in the old profile I typically use with b7. See:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2013275&start=30
CosyCat

Post by CosyCat »

Hi I can´t get flash to work on beta7 on mac osx 10.6.5... It´s just a black box with no video loading.

My only plugin is flash 10.1.102.64
All extensions disabled

Any tip what I can check.

thx
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Does it work on this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UIdI8khMkw

If it doesn't, create a new temporary profile. Quit FF and then go to

Applications -> Utilities

and launch Terminal.app

Then paste this in exactly without the quotes

"/Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin -ProfileManager"

and hit return

You will see a screen that looks like this

click on the "Create Profile" button and follow the instructions.

To go back to your old or default profile simply quit and restart FF from the profile manager and select your default profile.
FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
CosyCat

Post by CosyCat »

no that did not fix it .. tried your video before and after creating new profile.

Thanks RobertJ for taking the time to help

any other thing I can try?

edit: I´m up to date on this site http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/plugincheck/ what does that mean?
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

If you're using security software with a firewall, try to temporarily disable it.
FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6