Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
mikedl

Re: Firefox 4 - userChrome questions

Post by mikedl »

Thanks, A30N (and dickvl)!

Before:

After:

Much better! :D

Oddly enough, however, it seems to disable mouse scrolling of the bookmarks drop down. :?
"It may be that there are true demonstrations; but this is not certain. Thus, this proves nothing else but that it is not certain that all is uncertain, to the glory of skepticism." Pascal's Pensées
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

The Sidebar Bookmark Selector will hide "bookmarks toolbar" and "unsorted bookmarks" in the sidebar. Been using that for a long time. I also have a lot of userChrome that I use to make the sidebar a different color, highlight selected bookmarks, change folder icons, etc. If you want some of this just ask.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... -selector/
Glenvis

Post by Glenvis »

ltsnow wrote:The Sidebar Bookmark Selector will hide "bookmarks toolbar" and "unsorted bookmarks" in the sidebar. Been using that for a long time. I also have a lot of userChrome that I use to make the sidebar a different color, highlight selected bookmarks, change folder icons, etc. If you want some of this just ask.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/sidebar-bookmark-selector/">https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... -selector/</a><!-- m -->
ltsnow, thanks for the Sidebar Bookmark Selector add-on link - works like a charm.
I'm a newbie, am using FireFox 4 and would like to change the Bookmark Sidebar colors so I can better see the selected web site. What's the best (easiest for a newbie) way to accomplish this?
Thanks in advance for the help,
Glenvis
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

Glenvis wrote:
ltsnow wrote:The Sidebar Bookmark Selector will hide "bookmarks toolbar" and "unsorted bookmarks" in the sidebar. Been using that for a long time. I also have a lot of userChrome that I use to make the sidebar a different color, highlight selected bookmarks, change folder icons, etc. If you want some of this just ask.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/sidebar-bookmark-selector/">https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... -selector/</a><!-- m -->
ltsnow, thanks for the Sidebar Bookmark Selector add-on link - works like a charm.
I'm a newbie, am using FireFox 4 and would like to change the Bookmark Sidebar colors so I can better see the selected web site. What's the best (easiest for a newbie) way to accomplish this?
Thanks in advance for the help,
Glenvis

Here you go. This will change the background color of the sidebar to blue (change to whatever you want). There are also some other things in there to highlight selected bookmarks. Play around with it which will help you to learn. Put this in your userChrome file:

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");

/* Sidebar background */
tree {
-moz-appearance: none !important;
background-image: url("file:///C:/_Mozilla/Firefox/Backgrds/green3.jpg") !important;
background-color: rgb(67,108,171) !important;
}
/* Sidebar bookmarks */
treechildren::-moz-tree-cell-text {
color: #FFFFFF !important;
background-color: transparent !important;
}
#historyTree, #bookmarks-view tree {
-moz-appearance: none !important;
color: black !important;
}
/* Remove the width limit of the sidebar */
#sidebar { min-width: 10px !important; height: 100px;
}
treechildren::-moz-tree-row(selected) {
background-image: url("file:///C:/_Mozilla/Firefox/Backgrds/green1.jpg") !important;
border: #D1FFFF 1px solid !important;
-moz-border-radius: 4px !important;
-moz-border-corner-fit: scale !important;
background-color: transparent !important; }

treechildren::-moz-tree-row(selected, focus) {
background-image: url("file:///C:/_Mozilla/Firefox/Backgrds/green1.jpg") !important;
border: #D1FFFF 1px solid !important;
-moz-border-radius: 4px !important;
-moz-border-corner-fit: scale !important;
background-color: transparent !important;
}
Glenvis

Post by Glenvis »

ltsnow, thanks for all that...
Any way we can dumb it down so I can understand what it is and where it goes? I don't have a userChrome file (that I can find) and don't know where to get it (much less figure out how to modify it).
Sorry, just too deep for me.
Glenvis
sdrocking

Post by sdrocking »

How do I reduce the minimum tab width for which the tab close button is visible?
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

Glenvis wrote:ltsnow, thanks for all that...
Any way we can dumb it down so I can understand what it is and where it goes? I don't have a userChrome file (that I can find) and don't know where to get it (much less figure out how to modify it).
Sorry, just too deep for me.
Glenvis

Sorry about that. Here is a link that will tell you how to do it:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/tweak-your ... ecss-file/

I think that Firefox 4 no longer creates a "Chrome" folder so you will have to create that folder. Then you just create a userChrome.css file using notepad and saving it as userChrome.css instead of userChrome.txt.
JayhawksRock

Post by JayhawksRock »

sdrocking wrote:How do I reduce the minimum tab width for which the tab close button is visible?

In about:config change this value > browser.tabs.tabClipWidth < default is 140
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
Glenvis

Post by Glenvis »

ltsnow - more dumb on the way...
Went to C: Program Files (x86)>Mozilla Firefox>chrome and inserted the userChrome.css file I built using notepad with the above inserted and saved. Nothing changed.
I then moved it to C: Program Files (x86)>Mozilla Firefox>defaults>pref>chrome folder and did the same thing - again, nothing changed.
I shut closed and restarted Firefox each time with no changes.
What am I doing wrong?
Running Firefox 4 and Windows 7.
Thanks in advance,
Glenvis
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Glenvis wrote:What am I doing wrong?

For starters, you're using userChrome.css instead of Stylish.

If you insist in going about it the hard way, read
http://kb.mozillazine.org/UserChrome.css
Glenvis

Post by Glenvis »

Gingerbread Man and ltsnow
Thanks for the link - using it I found where to modify the userChrome.css file and copied ltsnow's info into it - works like a champ. Exactly what I was looking for.
Thank you both for the assistance, sorry to be such a neophyte - I'm not a computer programmer...
Glenvis
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

Glenvis wrote:ltsnow - more dumb on the way...
Went to C: Program Files (x86)>Mozilla Firefox>chrome and inserted the userChrome.css file I built using notepad with the above inserted and saved. Nothing changed.
I then moved it to C: Program Files (x86)>Mozilla Firefox>defaults>pref>chrome folder and did the same thing - again, nothing changed.
I shut closed and restarted Firefox each time with no changes.
What am I doing wrong?
Running Firefox 4 and Windows 7.
Thanks in advance,
Glenvis

OK, you didn't read the instructions at that link I gave you. You don't put it in the "Program Files", you put it in your profile. Here is the path for Vista, which as I recall (I use XP) is the same for Windows 7:

[Windows Vista] – C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<some_profile>\chrome . That should work fine. Keep learning. It's well worth it.
ltsnow

Post by ltsnow »

Glenvis wrote:Gingerbread Man and ltsnow
Thanks for the link - using it I found where to modify the userChrome.css file and copied ltsnow's info into it - works like a champ. Exactly what I was looking for.
Thank you both for the assistance, sorry to be such a neophyte - I'm not a computer programmer...
Glenvis

Really glad it worked for you. Now you can learn all kinds of cool things you can do with userChrome.css. Here's a page that has all kinds of code:

http://www.linnhe2.free-online.co.uk/fi ... hrome.html

Of course, as Gingerbread Man said you can also use the Stylish addon, which has all kinds of mods you can use that have been written by others. I like to do both.
selvan777

Post by selvan777 »

Hi,

Thanks to this thread I've cleaned up the bookmarks drop down menu from the bookmarks icon in the toolbar but can someone tell me how to hide Bookmark this page also? This used to work #menu_bookmarkThisPage {display: none !important;}

/* hide bookmarks menu items */
#subscribeToPageMenuitem,
#subscribeToPageMenupopup,
#organizeBookmarksSeparator,
#bookmarksToolbarFolderMenu,
#bookmarksToolbarFolderMenu+menuseparator,
#BMB_bookmarksShowAll,
#BMB_bookmarksShowAll+menuseparator,
#BMB_viewBookmarksToolbar,
#BMB_viewBookmarksToolbar+menuseparator,
#BMB_bookmarksShowAll+menuseparator,
#BMB_subscribeToPageMenuitem,
#BMB_subscribeToPageMenupopup,
#BMB_subscribeToPageMenupopup+menuseparator,
#BMB_bookmarksToolbar,
#BMB_bookmarksToolbar+menuseparator,
#BMB_unsortedBookmarks,
#BMB_bookmarksPopup menuseparator:nth-last-child(2) {
display: none !important;
}
always with the latest version of Firefox & her Add-ons
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Why not just go into Customize and swap out the Bookmarks Menu button for the Bookmarks Sidebar button?
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/