Will they ever fix font rendering in firefox 4?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
vis2

Re: Will they ever fix font rendering in firefox 4?

Post by vis2 »

avada wrote:
didemo wrote:I really find it hard to comprehend why so many people have a problem with the way fonts WERE rendered in Firefox using DirectWrite. From XP onwards there was ClearType that made text slightly thicker so that they would be more legible in LCD's. Nobody complains about that? But when Firefox switches to it everyone throws a big whinge. I just have the feeling some people just hate change no matter how good it is, especially the older folks.
The only reason why it was "fixed" is because they put the most common fonts in the GDI rendering list which just made them brittle again. If I use a clean profile I always notice the brittle, weak and hardly legible text on black backgrounds with white text, unless I re-enable it manually.

That's so very true. Just watch how many people will complain after watching 48p Hobbit, that it doesn't look movie-y.

It's very narrow-minded to conclude that disliking thick characters with a greenish tint entails opposing any change. And it doesn't help this thread at all.

avada wrote:Actually I think you just broke it again. Probably HWA didn't work with your video adapter until azure was enabled.

Broke what exactly? I'm try to deal with incorrect rendering of fonts without switching to Google Chrome, which renders fonts correctly (ie. respecting the OS setting, which is "ClearType disabled") while having GPU acceleration enabled. It's broken by default and I'm trying to find a setting that is less broken. And Azure has been disabled for Firefox 16, go tell the devs they break Firefox.
softwareadvisor

Post by softwareadvisor »

To clear up some information on the values of the rendering modes:

-1 means that Firefox will auto-determine the rendering mode:
> 2 will be used for fonts smaller than or equal to the threshold, which is normally the value specified in "gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.force_gdi_classic_max_size", by default it is 15px
> 5 will be used for fonts larger than the threshold.

0 means that Windows' default will be used. In Windows 7, this means that:
> 4 will be used for fonts smaller than or equal to Windows' threshold, which is set at 20px for 96dpi
> 5 will be used for fonts larger than the threshold.

1 is supposed to be aliased, but often results in disappearance of all the text.
2 is GDI Classic.
3 is GDI Natural Width.
4 is Sub-pixel ClearType with anti-aliasing in the horizontal dimension.
5 is Sub-pixel ClearType with anti-aliasing in both horizontal and vertical dimensions.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Thanks but this old thread needs it's rest.

Locking.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)