Will they ever fix font rendering in firefox 4?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
hews310

Re: Will they ever fix font rendering in firefox 4?

Post by hews310 »

●Dexter● wrote:Under Custom DPI setting uncheck the box that says to use Windows XP style scaling. Doing so will 'activate' DPI awareness which Fx4 does support. But be forewarned that many other programs do not support it which will make their text blurry looking. You can correct this under the Compatibility tab for these programs by checking the option that refers to DPI.

Thanks for the tip Dexter, it seems like this aatuner may somewhat solve the issues although I may check DPI awareness out to see what affect it has.

psishock wrote:Its definitely hardware accelerated, even on the GDI modes. I've got the best results with Clear Type+GDI normal on the short test.

Try the infamous fishtank test from microsoft, the acceleration impact is most definitely there, even with those "GDI" rendering modes.

Yeah, the fishtank seems to work fine with Default>Natural also, I meant is the GDI with the aa tuner with hardware acceleration on the same as GDI with acceleration off & the tuner disabled, I'll try it and see, post some screenshots tomorrow :-k .....

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... ing-tuner/
psishock

Post by psishock »

hews310 wrote:I meant is the GDI with the aa tuner with hardware acceleration on the same as GDI with acceleration off & the tuner disabled

it seems that not entirely, because the letter positions are still displaced/wrong (and i've noticed some extra paddings around the sentence rows everywhere). But if the author manages to fix that, i say it will be pretty similar, if not completely identical.
Last edited by psishock on March 1st, 2011, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dbcooper.dk

Post by dbcooper.dk »

psishock wrote:
hews310 wrote:I meant is the GDI with the aa tuner with hardware acceleration on the same as GDI with acceleration off & the tuner disabled

it seems that not entirely, because the letter positions are still displaced/wrong. But if the author manages to fix that, i say it will be pretty similar, if not completely identical.

Yeah, the GDI classic mode is nice but the letter spacing/positioning isn't right with that setting.
hews310

Post by hews310 »

psishock wrote:it seems that not entirely, because the letter positions are still displaced/wrong (and i've noticed some extra paddings around the sentence rows everywhere). But if the author manages to fix that, i say it will be pretty similar, if not completely identical.

If they can fix it it will be a godsend, although default>natural seems pretty good to me I must admit. Do we know if this basically turns off the Windows cleartype setting for FF completely i.e. if I change settings through the MS Cleartype tuner, in theory it should not now affect FF with this addon installed?
psishock

Post by psishock »

hews310 wrote:If they can fix it it will be a godsend, although default>natural seems pretty good to me I must admit. Do we know if this basically turns off the Windows cleartype setting for FF completely i.e. if I change settings through the MS Cleartype tuner, in theory it should not now affect FF with this addon installed?

if im not mistaken, windows cleartype settings is already completely overridden from the moment you enable hardware acceleration.

This extension should do all the tricks on the hardware accelerated level and not on software, as windows cleartype does. For instance, you could enable classic, "windows xp or older" like aliased rendering on the tuner, but still have software rendered cleartype applied on windows, for every other programs.
_Dexter_

Post by _Dexter_ »

letter spacing is better using GDI Natural or Natural Symmetric. I use NS because it makes the text a little darker.
Intel i7 Core Quad @ 4.25Ghz | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus | 12GB PC3-16000 RAM | ASUS HD6970 2GB - 12.3 CATS | ASUS PA246Q IPS 24" LCD 16:10 | OCZ AGILITY-EX SSD SLC | Windows 7 SP1 x64 Ultimate
psishock

Post by psishock »

hews310 wrote:Do we know if this basically turns off the Windows cleartype setting for FF completely i.e. if I change settings through the MS Cleartype tuner, in theory it should not now affect FF with this addon installed?

if im not mistaken, windows cleartype settings is already completely overridden from the moment you enable hardware acceleration.

This extension should do all the tricks on the hardware accelerated level and not on software, as windows cleartype does. For instance, you could enable classic, "windows xp or older" like aliased rendering on the tuner, but still have software rendered cleartype applied on windows, for every other programs.
Last edited by psishock on March 1st, 2011, 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
psishock

Post by psishock »

●Dexter● wrote:letter spacing is better using GDI Natural or Natural Symmetric. I use NS because it makes the text a little darker.

well, anything else than GDI modes are too blurry for me, no matter how i play with the contrast percentage. Even the GDI natural seems a bit blurrier than the GDI normal.
hews310

Post by hews310 »

psishock wrote:if im not mistaken, windows cleartype settings is already completely overridden from the moment you enable hardware acceleration.

I think that's not right as I did a few tests with that earlier in the thread, Windows cleartype settings have an affect with both hardware acceleration off and on, question is does this addon turn it off (for FF at least) :-k .

●Dexter● wrote:letter spacing is better using GDI Natural or Natural Symmetric. I use NS because it makes the text a little darker.

Spacing seems ok with default natural too. Re the Enhanced Contrast and Cleartype Level settings at the top, basically:

1% contrast=thin text
1% cleartype=greyscale AA
nadark

Post by nadark »

I'm getting major spacing problems with GDI, like there's a space every several characters.
Other than that, i find no complaints, its nice to screw around with.
squall_leonhart

Post by squall_leonhart »

●Dexter● wrote:Those of you having text rendering problems, and running at a high DPI, might want to try this and see if it helps.

Under Custom DPI setting uncheck the box that says to use Windows XP style scaling. Doing so will 'activate' DPI awareness which Fx4 does support. But be forewarned that many other programs do not support it which will make their text blurry looking. You can correct this under the Compatibility tab for these programs by checking the option that refers to DPI.

I don't seem to have a rendering problem so I can't really tell if this will help some of you. It's worth the try.

No.
set layout.css.dpi to 96, and use 125% zoom, which is exactly how IE scales.

MS screwed up with this, they should have made the disabling of XP scaling a compatbility setting, not the other way around.
avada

Post by avada »

hews310 wrote:If they can fix it it will be a godsend, although default>natural seems pretty good to me I must admit. Do we know if this basically turns off the Windows cleartype setting for FF completely i.e. if I change settings through the MS Cleartype tuner, in theory it should not now affect FF with this addon installed?

I don't think "default" has any information because its likely dependent on the system settings of firefox's, so its either aliased or uses grayscale or cleartype rendering.
hews310 wrote:I think that's not right as I did a few tests with that earlier in the thread, Windows cleartype settings have an affect with both hardware acceleration off and on, question is does this addon turn it off (for FF at least) :-k .

It certainly has some effect. If you disable Cleartype the text will be aliased or greyscale anti-aliased. (Not sure why its inconsistent.)
KarmaQ

Post by KarmaQ »

Anyone experiencing some strange effects after installing anti-aliasing-tuner? So far I have:

missing text on tabs

and missing text on bookmarks. When I hover over a tab the test reappears.

I've also just found that text in a text-box can disappear and reappear, too
psishock

Post by psishock »

Ok, i think i have it, at least its very close to "perfect".

Turn off ClearType in windows, then download/Install Gdipp first, its an alternative, opensource font render for Windows 7 and Vista (i've searched for other alternatives, it seemed to be the best choice atm).
http://code.google.com/p/gdipp/

Not you can use the Anti-Aliasing Tuner with ClearType+GDI classic (this combination gave me the most sharpest results so far), and the letter spacing will be identically accurate, as with the software render (hardware acceleration off) mode. \:D/

O, right, and the menu font rendering, together with the tab text rendering also got fixed with the Gdipp (not blurry, has no visual glitches anymore).
mds67

Post by mds67 »

Hi,

On my laptop (Intel 4500MHD), I have setup the Anti-Alising Tuner and use this setup:

Contrast 100%
Cleartype-level: 100%
anti-alising mode: cleartype.
rendering mode: Default.

And now I have clear and black leters, no more fuzz, and the letters spacing is Good.

Now I can leave WH On.

PS: I think Mozilla chould do more than it is doing regardless font quality.