Will they ever fix font rendering in firefox 4?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
NoNameReally

Re: Will they ever fix font rendering in firefox 4?

Post by NoNameReally »

They look similar here, but there's considerably better color in the pic bellow.

In my ATI HD4870 or something, fonts look pretty much like yours, on top, but there's considerable lack of antialiasing on bolds and bigger fonts.
orizng

Post by orizng »

my screen shot

I think it has improved, but definitely not good enough. The fonts are porous, fuzzy.

mds67

Post by mds67 »

My Screen: (Laptop with Intel MHD4500, with latest drivers) This is a 1 year old laptop.

Top without hardware accelerator, bottom with:

Ver Greeneyes

Post by Ver Greeneyes »

You know what, after working with D2D on for so long, the bottom (thinner) version actually looks better to me now. The top version looks unnecessarily thick and fuzzy. The only thing that does still bother me is the ugly w.
Soulburner

Post by Soulburner »

I also prefer the D2D way of font smoothing. After a few weeks of using Firefox 4 nightlies to browse the web, I got used to it so much, standard ClearType looks weird to me. I mean, it works okay in the Windows UI, but when I read a lot of text, D2D seems better.
Rodze

Post by Rodze »

You get used to it, that's for sure. Just like I thought ClearType was OMG so worse than whatever Windows used before when I first saw it.

But just look at all the blurriness thing and you can see DW is certainly not better for the eye.
mds67

Post by mds67 »

With DW font's loose contrast and fatigue the eyes.
squall_leonhart

Post by squall_leonhart »

DirectWrite fonts have not had any blur issues for some time, it must be system configuration dependent.

There is a overbold issue for light/dark text on dark/light backgrounds.
mds67

Post by mds67 »

squall_leonhart wrote:DirectWrite fonts have not had any blur issues for some time, it must be system configuration dependent.

There is a overbold issue for light/dark text on dark/light backgrounds.

See my previous screen shot, I can't use Firefox with DW. I have disabled it. Since begining. Just tried it once in a while.
orizng

Post by orizng »

it seems a amd graphic card specific issue, nv card, or intel chip have no such problem.

Either way, I have disabled it for months now, I did some testing and hardware acceleration only improve js performance, or video playback, or webGL by 10-25%. I don't think it worth my eyesight.
Soulburner

Post by Soulburner »

I don't see any difference between AMD and Nvidia, both render D2D text exactly the same way. Unless I'm missing something :P
phuzi0n

Post by phuzi0n »

orizng wrote:it seems a amd graphic card specific issue, nv card, or intel chip have no such problem.

Either way, I have disabled it for months now, I did some testing and hardware acceleration only improve js performance, or video playback, or webGL by 10-25%. I don't think it worth my eyesight.

What card did you use for your screenshot? One of your earlier posts suggests that you have an nvidia card.

mds67 said they have intel graphics and their screenshot looks similar to ours. My card is an ATI HD4670. It seems like people are just spreading anti-ATI FUD without any evidence that it's vendor specific.
hakubo

Post by hakubo »

I have Radeon HD 4850, and all "blurry text" problems I saw were fixed sometime around beta 7.
Dessimat0r

Post by Dessimat0r »

Run the Cleartype Tuning tool -- type 'cleartype' into the search box in the Start menu and click what comes up.
Rodze

Post by Rodze »

Every screen shot posted here shows the same problem to me, what's different are the font types and sizes in each.

I think tou guys either need to check your eyes out or have gotten used to the bad fonts. =P