Will they ever fix font rendering in firefox 4?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
nadark

Re: Will they ever fix font rendering in firefox 4?

Post by nadark »

Gyrxiur wrote:we need someone with ati card and newest drivers and enabled hw acceleration to post screenshot of iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii or |||||||||||||||||||||| written in address bar

Rainbow's are still in effect, other than that i see no problems, the fonts look a lot less blurry ever since the second second KB update that fixed DW

http://imageupload.org/?di=612978042789
note: click on the image to get rid of the blur
hews310

Post by hews310 »

hews310 wrote:
Gyrxiur wrote:I don't know, I was just pondering.

Hah I got my sarcasm the wrong way round there :wink: , I did a few tests here, showed that FF4 text with hw accel on was definitely worst of all the browsers on my system (9800GT)
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2060933&start=225

A screenshot from FF options>general shows quite well how hw acceleration looks worse on my system, with NVidia 9800GT, much clearer text with acceleration off

HARDWARE ACCELERATION ON ------------------------ HARDWARE ACCELERATION OFF
Gyrxiur

Post by Gyrxiur »

same here
GSkRC33NJ9US

Post by GSkRC33NJ9US »

Argh, it's not great on the eyes after a few hours. [NVidia 8400M GT]
hews310

Post by hews310 »

Gyrxiur wrote:same here

Also NVidia, or ATi?
Soulburner

Post by Soulburner »

I have ATI 4850 and it looks exactly like on your screenshot above, hews310.
hews310

Post by hews310 »

Soulburner wrote:I have ATI 4850 and it looks exactly like on your screenshot above, hews310.

I've got a bad feeling this may vary with driver which kind of shows what a minefield( :-k ) hw acceleration is, I took a shot of the FF menu 31st Dec build hw off and on before I changed drivers a few days ago, in that case it looked much better than the driver I'm using now from August 2010 (I couldn't use the latest driver as it caused massive video framerate drop), the only other change I made is cleartype settings, could that have affected it (and not with hardware acceleration off)?

hews310

Post by hews310 »

So as a test I upgraded my driver to latest 266.58 NVidia driver (it still breaks H264 decoding on my 9800GT so unusable) took another screenshot of the menu with this driver, no difference, but went into cleartype, chose fattest version of all text, took another screenshot --- this confirms that the cleartype setting heavily influences the appearance of text even on firefox menus & options with hardware acceleration on:

hews310

Post by hews310 »

To clarify, I definitely wouldn't recommend that ultra fat cleartype setting as text on webpages looks horrible, so looks like you need to go through cleartype tests a few times to find something that will look OK in FF4......

(BTW, 260.89 drivers & onwards break H264 on my 9800GT incase anyone was thinking updating was a good idea!)
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Um... Firefox started using ClearType with 3.0 and I think you will find that fiddling with ClearType settings will have profound impact on all of the subsequent Firefox versions.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
hews310

Post by hews310 »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Um... Firefox started using ClearType with 3.0 and I think you will find that fiddling with ClearType settings will have profound impact on all of the subsequent Firefox versions.

Doesn't seem to make a difference on FF4 with hardware acceleration off, the menu screenshots stay the same whatever cleartype setting I set.
hews310

Post by hews310 »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Um... Firefox started using ClearType with 3.0 and I think you will find that fiddling with ClearType settings will have profound impact on all of the subsequent Firefox versions.

Err, looks like you were right, I was wrong :-" , the fat cleartype text with hardware acceleration off seems thinner & clearer though, it's also considerably lighter, see last screenshot. Is the shade of hardware accelerated text determined by a graphics driver setting?

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?ytybff1k66fj26y (png download)
Ver Greeneyes

Post by Ver Greeneyes »

There needs to be a DirectWrite version of that ClearType tuning wizard..
hews310

Post by hews310 »

Ver Greeneyes wrote:There needs to be a DirectWrite version of that ClearType tuning wizard..

But it looks like the Cleartype wizard effects D2d doesn't it (see post above)? What I don't know is what causes the difference in shading, with the same cleartype settings with hardware acceleration on and off. Also looking at my second post from the top, I am now a bit baffled as to how I got that as I definitely didn't change cleartype settings inbetween #-o ?
Ver Greeneyes

Post by Ver Greeneyes »

Yes, it does affect the rendering. But if I'm not mistaken it doesn't affect it in the same way as GDI - since GDI will be less thin to begin with, right? So you can't really see what you're doing.