Will they ever fix font rendering in firefox 4?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
kliu0x52

Re: Will they ever fix font rendering in firefox 4?

Post by kliu0x52 »

Mango Juice wrote:Is there a bug for font AA not working at all in recent nightlies?

If you're using prefs to force-enable DirectWrite or Direct2D, that was unintentionally broken by 651498.

squall_leonhart wrote:please don't, character spacing looks so wrong with gdi classic.

Is that GDI classic by way of the (broken and buggy) AA tuner? Or GDI classic by way of Firefox's new setting and/or by disabling HWA? GDI's spacing has always been consistent and event; nothing wrong with it (okay, you can't count MS Office, since that use GDI rendering with natural spacing/positioning, so spacing there looks wrong).

For people who aren't following the bug...
* This is a very good read: http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2007/06/12.html
* I don't think that we should use GDI across the board. Specifically, for tiny text (e.g,, 4pt), Natural looks much clearer than GDI. And for larger text, Natural looks better. GDI-style pixel-gridded rendering works best when the strokes in a font are reasonably close to a pixel in width, and I think that the smart move would be to use GDI only on that range. I think that is the course of action that the developers would find the most palatable.
My addons: NoRedirect | QuickDrag | URL Flipper | TabSubmit
Developers: Make sure to test your addons for RTL compatibility!
Juiced

Post by Juiced »

kliu0x52 wrote:
Mango Juice wrote:Is there a bug for font AA not working at all in recent nightlies?

If you're using prefs to force-enable DirectWrite or Direct2D, that was unintentionally broken by 651498.

Is there a workaround, or will we have to wait till the regression is fixed?
kliu0x52

Post by kliu0x52 »

Mango Juice wrote:Is there a workaround, or will we have to wait till the regression is fixed?

There is no workaround.
My addons: NoRedirect | QuickDrag | URL Flipper | TabSubmit
Developers: Make sure to test your addons for RTL compatibility!
avada

Post by avada »

Virtual_ManPL wrote:
WonderCsabo wrote:You can call it blurry, our you can call it smooth. :) http://www.basschouten.com/blog1.php/20 ... irectwrite

True, but I can't see any real usage for this"2D" and "3D" eye candy fonts.
For fonts in "1D" using GDI Classic should be default. I see no reason why only Firefox should make 99% fonts blurry because of this :P

You talk like its some undeniable truth that GDI rendering is the best. You're wrong. I use natural symmetric, because GDI often looks rather jagged. And its actually more pleasant than the GDI. Maybe it looks blurry to you because you watch your monitor too close. I watch my 24" monitor from about a 70 cm distance.
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

I don't think so, because I have 22" LCD and it's more than 1m from me.
See my screenshots here how it looks on my end - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=652141

I would like to see similar comparison with all 7 values, when someone have different opinion :P
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
hews310

Post by hews310 »

kliu0x52 wrote:@psishock, n.b.: due to bug 651498, hardware acceleration currently can't be turned off via prefs (so acc_on == acc_off)...

Damnit, I thought I was being subjected to HWA over the past few days & I was ](*,) , DW isn't off even if you select HWA off in options.

Soulburner wrote:OMG, gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.rendering_mode = 2 actually works! I can safely return from Chrome :)

Excellent, thank you gods =D> !!!
psishock

Post by psishock »

hews310 wrote:Excellent, thank you gods =D> !!!

Heh, you are flattering the Mozilla team. xD
watdis

Post by watdis »

avada wrote:
Virtual_ManPL wrote:
WonderCsabo wrote:You can call it blurry, our you can call it smooth. :) http://www.basschouten.com/blog1.php/20 ... irectwrite

True, but I can't see any real usage for this"2D" and "3D" eye candy fonts.
For fonts in "1D" using GDI Classic should be default. I see no reason why only Firefox should make 99% fonts blurry because of this :P

You talk like its some undeniable truth that GDI rendering is the best. You're wrong. I use natural symmetric, because GDI often looks rather jagged. And its actually more pleasant than the GDI. Maybe it looks blurry to you because you watch your monitor too close. I watch my 24" monitor from about a 70 cm distance.

You talk like its some undeniable truth that DWrite rendering is the best. You're wrong. I use GDI classic, because DWrite often looks less sharp. And its actually more pleasant than the DWrite. Maybe it looks jagged to you because you watch your monitor too close. I watch my 21" monitor from about a ~70 cm distance.

See? Anyone can do this. It makes sense that DWrite looks worse because it's still didn't mature enough like GDI did. There's a lot of work and tweaking to be done.

Also, does anyone else get different looking font on this link? I use GDI classic setting along with AAtuner for bigger fonts. Link: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/harfbuzz

3.6 http://i.imgur.com/hsWwK.png
Nightly + AA Tuner http://i.imgur.com/Aoj7T.png
hews310

Post by hews310 »

psishock wrote:
hews310 wrote:Excellent, thank you gods =D> !!!

Heh, you are flattering the Mozilla team. xD

I was just thanking the Gods for guiding them onto the correct path :mrgreen: .
Last edited by hews310 on April 28th, 2011, 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sylph

Post by Sylph »

LOL! If I put the mode as 1, all fonts disappear!
Sylph

Post by Sylph »

And it ClearType-s Lucida Sans Unicode for no reason no matter what setting I choose. :roll:
T0morrow

Post by T0morrow »

Well after testing it seems setting 2 works best on my configuration.
happysurf

Post by happysurf »

Why I don't have the string gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.rendering_mode in my about:config preferences?
I use Fx 4.01 on 7 64bit.
Thanks.
Surf the Internet is a dirty job but someone has to do it.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

Because it wasn't landed for 4.0?
Fanolian

Post by Fanolian »

happysurf wrote:Why I don't have the string gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.rendering_mode in my about:config preferences?
I use Fx 4.01 on 7 64bit.
Thanks.

It's only in Nightly for now. You won't get it in Firefox 5 neither.