MozillaZine


Will they ever fix font rendering in firefox 4?

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
foxfrog
 
Posts: 16
Joined: August 29th, 2008, 6:47 am

Post Posted May 3rd, 2011, 12:29 am

No hardware acceleration on my machine. Still, FF 4 keeps font smoothing. Even if I switch it off in Ubuntu's preferences (which is only meant for Ubuntu's GUI itself), FF 4 still displays this ClearType-like crap. Makes reading web pages a pain.

Copa360

User avatar
 
Posts: 77
Joined: October 10th, 2009, 12:48 pm
Location: Maricopa, AZ

Post Posted May 4th, 2011, 11:27 pm

foxfrog wrote:No hardware acceleration on my machine. Still, FF 4 keeps font smoothing. Even if I switch it off in Ubuntu's preferences (which is only meant for Ubuntu's GUI itself), FF 4 still displays this ClearType-like crap. Makes reading web pages a pain.


You have to edit it in etc/fonts/conf.d

Remove the link to etc/fonts/conf.avail/10-hinting-slight.conf and create a link to etc.fonts/conf.avail/10-hinting-full.conf (or medium if you prefer). That seems to be the only way to get Firefox to "conform".

Sylph
 
Posts: 288
Joined: May 11th, 2008, 8:42 am

Post Posted May 6th, 2011, 7:47 am

Still cr*ppy with Lucida Sans Unicode, Georgia...:

Image

Normal look:

Image

asquithea

User avatar
 
Posts: 1533
Joined: March 17th, 2003, 2:43 pm
Location: Guildford, UK

Post Posted May 6th, 2011, 1:38 pm

If you say so. I rather like the top version, though I can see you might think it overly blurry if you sit really close to your monitor.

Hasn't this thread rather run its course?

avada
 
Posts: 1880
Joined: February 10th, 2008, 6:30 am
Location: Hungary

Post Posted May 7th, 2011, 2:48 am

asquithea wrote:If you say so. I rather like the top version, though I can see you might think it overly blurry if you sit really close to your monitor.

Hasn't this thread rather run its course?

That's what I was thinking too. The thin jagged and thin aliased text is a lot harder to read.

I agree with your second suggestion too. Nothing is wrong with the font rendering. One can even change it with about:config settings too, if one wants jagged and aliased text (or grayscale AA). And there is Anti aliasing tuner too. Maybe it add these info to the first post and then close it?

Virtual_ManPL

User avatar
 
Posts: 2049
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 5:52 am

Post Posted May 7th, 2011, 3:06 am

avada wrote:Nothing is wrong with the font rendering.

Wrong.
Font rendering is different compared to how render it system, other browsers and Firefox without HW Acc or Firefox 3.6.
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.

avada
 
Posts: 1880
Joined: February 10th, 2008, 6:30 am
Location: Hungary

Post Posted May 7th, 2011, 3:33 am

Virtual_ManPL wrote:
avada wrote:Nothing is wrong with the font rendering.

Wrong.
Font rendering is different compared to how render it system, other browsers and Firefox without HW Acc or Firefox 3.6.

Precisely. Its different, not bugged. Also you can set the values to look like GDI...

Virtual_ManPL

User avatar
 
Posts: 2049
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 5:52 am

Post Posted May 7th, 2011, 4:01 am

I wrote different, not bugged.
Also I know that I can use value to look like GDI Classic, but this value should be default.
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.

avada
 
Posts: 1880
Joined: February 10th, 2008, 6:30 am
Location: Hungary

Post Posted May 7th, 2011, 5:31 am

Virtual_ManPL wrote:I wrote different, not bugged.
Also I know that I can use value to look like GDI Classic, but this value should be default.

Says you. I disagree. I actually prefer natural symmetric because of the better shape. They chose this kind of rendering because, they think its better. Most users don't even care whether its one or another. If a handfull of users can't stand anything else than GDI that's their problem, its pointless to keep whining about it. Submit a bug (if there isn't one already) and whine there, and don't get surprised when it gets wontfix'd.

Anyway as we both said its different (by their choice) and not bugged, so there is nothing to fix, therefore the thread lost its purpose. No need to keep it open.

Virtual_ManPL

User avatar
 
Posts: 2049
Joined: July 24th, 2008, 5:52 am

Post Posted May 7th, 2011, 5:55 am

You are wrong, because Firefox should render fonts the same with and without HW Acc (like Chrome); if not, it's clearly a bug which need to be fixed ASAP.

I submitted a bug #652141 and for now it isn't wontfixed.
And you are also wrong about that the most users don't care about fonts. Just type Firefox font blur in google.

Natural Symmetric render poorly Asians symbols, so it's not a god idea to make this default.
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.

Sylph
 
Posts: 288
Joined: May 11th, 2008, 8:42 am

Post Posted May 7th, 2011, 6:45 am

asquithea wrote:If you say so. I rather like the top version, though I can see you might think it overly blurry if you sit really close to your monitor.

Hasn't this thread rather run its course?


It sucks because ClearType is turned off, yet it turns it on?!!?? And it looks hideous.

BrunoReX
 
Posts: 80
Joined: December 13th, 2007, 12:46 pm

Post Posted May 7th, 2011, 6:47 am

avada wrote:They chose this kind of rendering because, they think its better.


Bzzzt, wrong!
It's not supposed to look like that, it's an OS bug (and needs to be fixed by Microsoft), and only happens with Hardware Acceleration enabled.

Sylph
 
Posts: 288
Joined: May 11th, 2008, 8:42 am

Post Posted May 7th, 2011, 6:48 am

avada wrote:
asquithea wrote:If you say so. I rather like the top version, though I can see you might think it overly blurry if you sit really close to your monitor.

Hasn't this thread rather run its course?

That's what I was thinking too. The thin jagged and thin aliased text is a lot harder to read.

I agree with your second suggestion too. Nothing is wrong with the font rendering. One can even change it with about:config settings too, if one wants jagged and aliased text (or grayscale AA). And there is Anti aliasing tuner too. Maybe it add these info to the first post and then close it?


And how does one get "jagged and alised text" when changing the parameters doesn't work either?

Sylph
 
Posts: 288
Joined: May 11th, 2008, 8:42 am

Post Posted May 7th, 2011, 6:49 am

BrunoReX wrote:
avada wrote:They chose this kind of rendering because, they think its better.


Bzzzt, wrong!
It's not supposed to look like that, it's an OS bug (and needs to be fixed by Microsoft), and only happens with Hardware Acceleration enabled.


How is it an OS bug when all other browsers work normally?

avada
 
Posts: 1880
Joined: February 10th, 2008, 6:30 am
Location: Hungary

Post Posted May 7th, 2011, 11:28 am

Sylph wrote:
asquithea wrote:If you say so. I rather like the top version, though I can see you might think it overly blurry if you sit really close to your monitor.

Hasn't this thread rather run its course?


It sucks because ClearType is turned off, yet it turns it on?!!?? And it looks hideous.

It looks hideous to you. Anyway modify the proper settings, or use anti aliasing tuner to set it to GDI and aliased.
BrunoReX wrote:
avada wrote:They chose this kind of rendering because, they think its better.


Bzzzt, wrong!
It's not supposed to look like that, it's an OS bug (and needs to be fixed by Microsoft), and only happens with Hardware Acceleration enabled.

You're wrong. It happens when HA is enabled because it supports more than one rendering method and the default is different (arguably better).
Sylph wrote:And how does one get "jagged and alised text" when changing the parameters doesn't work either?

That's new to me. I only remember a bug that makes it impossible to disable HA. Anyway use AA tuner, it works fine here.
Virtual_ManPL wrote:You are wrong, because Firefox should render fonts the same with and without HW Acc (like Chrome); if not, it's clearly a bug which need to be fixed ASAP.

No it shouldn't follow whatever others do. One of the problems of current ff development is that it follows every whim of Chrome. Its not a bug its a choice
Virtual_ManPL wrote:I submitted a bug #652141 and for now it isn't wontfixed.
And you are also wrong about that the most users don't care about fonts. Just type Firefox font blur in google.

Wrong about this too. A small group of people keep whining that it doesn't look the same.

Return to Firefox Builds


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: malliz and 2 guests