[Firefox 4 release/nightlies : Linux] Add-ons manager hangs

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
simonbcn

Re: [Firefox 4 beta / nightlies : Linux] Add-ons manager han

Post by simonbcn »

I repeat that it's very important to vote this bug to Mozilla solve it as soon as possible: https //bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=637286
EMOziko

Re: [Firefox 4 release/nightlies : Linux] Add-ons manager ha

Post by EMOziko »

i have this problem too :(

firefox 4
onemen

Post by onemen »

start is safe mode and disable you extensions until the problem disappear
simonbcn

Post by simonbcn »

onemen wrote:start is safe mode and disable you extensions until the problem disappear

Thanks, but this isn't a solution.
IMHO, Firefox without extensions is nothing. In that case, I prefer Chromium.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

No solution at all other than finding the problem extension so that the developers of it know and can fix it :roll:
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
omerp

Post by omerp »

malliz wrote:No solution at all other than finding the problem extension so that the developers of it know and can fix it :roll:

There is no "problem extension": people with entirely unrelated sets of extensions have been experiencing this bug. Unless by "developers of it" you meant "of Firefox".
James

Post by James »

simonbcn wrote:I repeat that it's very important to vote this bug to Mozilla solve it as soon as possible: https //bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=637286

People please do not add comments to this bug unless it is actually useful like narrowing down the cause or regression period or have the fix or patch. Comments like "I have this exactly this problem too" and "please fix this..." that is in comment #23 is not helpful at ALL as it can actually turn people or devs off from taking their time to fix or provide patches on bag. Bugzilla is Not a forum like here.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=etiquette.html

EMOziko wrote:i have this problem too :(
firefox 4

Thank you for spamming the 637286 bug.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

omerp wrote:
malliz wrote:No solution at all other than finding the problem extension so that the developers of it know and can fix it :roll:

There is no "problem extension": people with entirely unrelated sets of extensions have been experiencing this bug. Unless by "developers of it" you meant "of Firefox".

You must be a coding genius to be able to analyze every possible extension and combination and say they are not the cause.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
simonbcn

Post by simonbcn »

James wrote:
simonbcn wrote:I repeat that it's very important to vote this bug to Mozilla solve it as soon as possible: https //bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=637286

People please do not add comments to this bug unless it is actually useful like narrowing down the cause or regression period or have the fix or patch. Comments like "I have this exactly this problem too" and "please fix this..." that is in comment #23 is not helpful at ALL as it can actually turn people or devs off from taking their time to fix or provide patches on bag. Bugzilla is Not a forum like here.

I said "it's very important to vote this bug", it's not the same! I still think the same and I keep saying it.

By other side, I think is important to know the OS affected by this bug, don't you think?

The developers should have done a better job and they should have released a Firefox 4 really stable.
I think it's the worst version of Firefox, in terms of stability, I have ever tested. And I have many years of using Firefox.

malliz wrote:
omerp wrote:

You must be a coding genius to be able to analyze every possible extension and combination and say they are not the cause.

I do not think it takes to be a programming genius to reach that conclusion. IMHO, no add-on should be able to hang the browser. In Firefox < 4 this isn't occur.
omerp

Post by omerp »

malliz wrote:
omerp wrote:

A fair point. I indeed did not analyze every conceivable combination. But to echo what simonbcn has said in his reply -- does it even matter? Even if there is one faulty extension out there, it should not hang the extensions page, and force the user to go through safe-mode just to disable the offending extension and rescue their Firefox installation. And the evidence -- admittedly, circumstantial and incomplete -- suggests that it is not just one faulty extension that's triggering this.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

No evidence at all. Do you want to help solve this problem or not?
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
simonbcn

Post by simonbcn »

LoudNoise wrote:No evidence at all. Do you want to help solve this problem or not?

This is task of Mozilla developers, not mine. This problem is evident and generalized, there isn't discussion about this. Now is the turn of Firefox developers.

I repeat, even if the problem were several faulty add-ons: no add-on should be able to hang the browser when I enter in add-ons page.

And those add-ons were downloaded from Mozilla page. I quote from FAQ of add-ons for Firefox:

Will add-ons work with my web browser or application?
Add-ons listed in this gallery only work with Mozilla-based applications, such as Firefox, Firefox Mobile, SeaMonkey, and Thunderbird. However, not all add-ons work with each of those applications or every version of those applications. Each add-on specifies which applications and versions it works with, such as Firefox 2.0 - 3.6.*. For Firefox add-ons, the install buttons will indicate whether the add-on is compatible or not.

Are add-ons safe to install?

Unless clearly marked otherwise, add-ons available from this gallery have been checked and approved by Mozilla's team of editors and are safe to install. We recommend that you only install approved add-ons. If you wish to install unapproved add-ons or add-ons from third-party websites, use caution as these add-ons may harm your computer or violate your privacy. Learn more about our approval process.

Nothing more to say...
omerp

Post by omerp »

I agree with simonbcn. Maybe I'm a noob, and maybe I don't have the same understanding of what constitutes 'evidence' as developers like LoudNoise do (this is almost certainly true). But I don't understand why moderators in this forum are taking such a snippety tone with concerned users, who are clearly just trying to help. It seems to me (again, I'm new here and might be TOTALLY wrong) that 99% of end-users who would've encountered this problem would have simply downgraded to Firefox 3 or left for Google Chrome or something; the ones who come here to post about the situations in which the problem arises are clearly the ones who love Firefox, care about it, and want to improve it. You shouldn't chase them off.
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

99% of end users probably never encountered this problem, so they have no reason to go to a third party support forum to say "nothing is broken for me". Of the other 1%, probably 80% of them would come here and complain, then try the fix. The other 20% will just rant and rave and threaten to switch to Chrome.

Also, addons can do whatever they want. If an addon wanted to (and you installed it), it could erase everything on your computer.
simonbcn

Post by simonbcn »

KWierso wrote:99% of end users probably never encountered this problem, so they have no reason to go to a third party support forum to say "nothing is broken for me". Of the other 1%, probably 80% of them would come here and complain, then try the fix. The other 20% will just rant and rave and threaten to switch to Chrome.

I think 99% is a very optimistic rate. :-k
Some of my friends have tried Firefox 4 and they've returned to Firefox 3.6 by this (and others) bug. But they say nothing in this forum nor the bugzilla, this is what I usually do most people.

KWierso wrote:Also, addons can do whatever they want. If an addon wanted to (and you installed it), it could erase everything on your computer.

Maybe in Windows... :-" :lol:
But it shouldn't if the browser and the add-on are well done.