app tabs not working how i thought they would

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
DDjusD

Re: app tabs not working how i thought they would

Post by DDjusD »

Falconerd wrote:
grayscale00 wrote:IIRC, the original plan for the app tab is to have all the clicked links open on a new tab automatically (say, you're on facebook, clicking on links will open it on a new tab, preventing you from overwriting the app tab). I also remember reading about the address bar having the same behavior (anything you type on url bar will open on a new tab), or maybe I'm just drunk.

KWeirso wrote:That was discussed, but it was never implemented like that.

Maybe in a future version.

I agree, I wish I could make any new link from anywhere (address bar, search bar, bookmarks, history, etc.) all open in new tabs by default. So far, I've found specific add-ons for bookmarks and history, and I believe the search bar does that by default, but I haven't found a decent add-on for the address bar. It's been bundled as a feature in some add-ons but I haven't found a reliable one yet.
Just wanted to add my 2¢ to the discussion.

This. Personally I would also be fine with making it so they just open a new tab to the page it was pinned as. This way I have more window room (no bookmarks bar) and the ability to get to sites that get accessed by me the most without having to type in the URL every time.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

If you want to open a new tab simply middle-click the link instead of right-clicking. I was able to retrain myself to do this in a matter of weeks once someone illuminated me to it.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
smartcooky

Post by smartcooky »

Mattus wrote:What I want is an app tab implementation which opens links in the app tab if they're on the same domain, and opens a new tab if they're not. That seems to me to be the most natural approach, but neither Firefox nor Chrome do it.

100% agree with this.

I have discontinued using them because they are no use to me unless they work the way you have suggested.

I am currently looking for an add-on that does work like this, but no success yet.
bjherbison

Post by bjherbison »

smartcooky wrote:
Mattus wrote:What I want is an app tab implementation which opens links in the app tab if they're on the same domain, and opens a new tab if they're not. That seems to me to be the most natural approach, but neither Firefox nor Chrome do it.

I have discontinued using them because they are no use to me unless they work the way you have suggested.
I am currently looking for an add-on that does work like this, but no success yet.

When I last used Tab Mix Plus it had an option to do this for any tab. If there isn't a way for TME to distinguish an App Tab from a normal tab you should suggest it to the author.
mattcoz

Post by mattcoz »

This is how they work on the UX branch.
teoli2003

Post by teoli2003 »

Also in the Nightly and as far as I remember in stable Firefox too. Maybe an extension fiddling with the behaviour?
z0diac

Post by z0diac »

I just installed that add-on "Tab Mix Plus" posted above in this thread.

I'm not sure if this feature was available before the add-on or not, but now if I right-click on an App Tab there's a "Protect Tab" setting. When I enable it, open the tab, enter a different URL than the App Tab url, it opens it up in a new tab. This is exactly what I was looking for. (there's also a "Lock Tab" selection although I don't know what that does - I have both Lock Tab and Protect Tab enabled)

Basically I wanted my App Tabs to STAY THERE unless I specifically deleted them, no matter what I did. Seems to be working with the addition of this add-on.
Caspid

Post by Caspid »

They're useless because each one makes you hit a number over when switching to a tab with Ctrl+#.
"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." -Calvin
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

You can't use Ctrl-# to switch through pinned tabs because pinned tabs retain their original order even though they've been "moved" to the left. This allows them to be "restored" to their original position in the tab strip if you "un-pin" them. I also suspect that Tab Groups breaks the Ctrl-# commands. Ctrl-Tab works just fine though.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/