MozillaZine

Firefox 4 RC Save Tabs

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Ramzy

Post Posted March 12th, 2011, 2:59 am

Is there a way to "save" your tabs before quitting? Seems like in v4 RC1 there is now a "restore session" button on the firefox homepage (default about:home), but if you set your homepage manually to something else, you lose the ability to restore your sessions.

Anyone know how to overcome this or bring back the old "save tabs and exit" feature?

LIMPET235

Post Posted March 12th, 2011, 3:26 am

Moving to the Builds Forum...
Ancient Amateur Astronomer
Win-7-HP/Intel® DualCore-2.0GHz/500G HDD/4 Gig Ram/550Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-20.0-57.0-61.0-62.0/T-bird-2.0.0.24/SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.11.0.
(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)

evilpie

Post Posted March 12th, 2011, 3:46 am

Although Firefox 4 has an automatic restore session feature after crashes, i currently don't know if you could use this to restore your last session. But as always with firefox, there is an addon for it, Save Session. To really use it you need to move the Save Session & Exit button into the Addonbar. To do this just click right next the url bar and select "Customize...". Then you can drag & drop the button into the addon bar on the bottom.

rob64rock

Post Posted March 12th, 2011, 4:52 am

Ramzy wrote:Is there a way to "save" your tabs before quitting? Seems like in v4 RC1 there is now a "restore session" button on the firefox homepage (default about:home), but if you set your homepage manually to something else, you lose the ability to restore your sessions.

Anyone know how to overcome this or bring back the old "save tabs and exit" feature?

To restore that feature where it will ask if you want to "save tabs and Exit" when closing the browser:
There is a new setting in about:config - browser.warnOnQuit - toggle it to 'true'. And set - browser.showQuitWarning - to true.
see http://blog.zpao.com/post/3174360617/ab ... uit-dialog

evilpie wrote:Although Firefox 4 has an automatic restore session feature after crashes, i currently don't know if you could use this to restore your last session. But as always with firefox, there is an addon for it, Save Session. To really use it you need to move the Save Session & Exit button into the Addonbar. To do this just click right next the url bar and select "Customize...". Then you can drag & drop the button into the addon bar on the bottom.

You can in Firefox 4 RC1 now go to the History menu and select to "Restore Previous Session", which wasn't available in Firefox 3.6.x. At least they are getting closer to making it not just a feature for crash recovery.

Ramzy

Post Posted March 12th, 2011, 5:23 am

Thank you for your help sir.

distance0

Post Posted March 12th, 2011, 8:12 am

Ramzy wrote:Is there a way to "save" your tabs before quitting? Seems like in v4 RC1 there is now a "restore session" button on the firefox homepage (default about:home), but if you set your homepage manually to something else, you lose the ability to restore your sessions.

UC script, add to appmenu.
Code: Select all
var quitItem = document.createElement('menuitem');           
quitItem.setAttribute('label', 'save and exit');
quitItem.setAttribute('oncommand', 'gPrefService.setBoolPref("browser.sessionstore.resume_session_once",true);goQuitApplication();');
document.getElementById("appmenuSecondaryPane").appendChild(quitItem);

Anonymosity

Post Posted March 12th, 2011, 3:13 pm

Can you not still bookmark a group of tabs in FF4?

KWierso

Post Posted March 12th, 2011, 3:31 pm

Anonymosity wrote:Can you not still bookmark a group of tabs in FF4?

pippki

Post Posted March 12th, 2011, 7:36 pm

Anonymosity wrote:Can you not still bookmark a group of tabs in FF4?
MultipleTabHandler (bump the version for the RC). But KWierso is right, with Panorama you can just pull the tabs into a new tab group and use "Bookmark all tabs". Contrary to what it says, it doesn't bookmark all tabs, just the current group. (I wish I had a button for that right in Panorama.)

Midi

Post Posted March 20th, 2011, 11:14 am

There used to be a setting in the 'tools > options' menu to automatically save tabs upon closing in version 3. Is it not there in 4 RC? I personally will switch back to 3 if that's the case.

Gingerbread Man

Post Posted March 20th, 2011, 11:42 am

Midi wrote:There used to be a setting in the 'tools > options' menu to automatically save tabs upon closing in version 3. Is it not there in 4 RC?

If you're referring to When Firefox starts: Show my windows and tabs from last time, you can clearly it's still there.
:arrow: Options window - General panel

Midi

Post Posted March 23rd, 2011, 12:13 pm

If you're referring to When Firefox starts: Show my windows and tabs from last time, you can clearly it's still there.

I really can't seem to find it; any help?

Gingerbread Man

Post Posted March 23rd, 2011, 12:22 pm

1. Click the Firefox button in the top left corner of the window.
  2. Click Options in the menu that appears.
  3. In the window that opens, click the General tab at the top.
  4. At the top of the window, under the "Startup" section, to the right of "When Firefox starts:", click the drop-down menu and choose Show my windows and tabs from last time.
  5. Press the OK button at the bottom of the window.

JayhawksRock

Post Posted March 23rd, 2011, 12:24 pm

Midi wrote:

I really can't seem to find it; any help?

For detailed instructions, Click here > http://support.mozilla.com/kb/Options%2 ... al%20panel
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln

Midi

Post Posted March 23rd, 2011, 1:24 pm

sorry for the double post, but solved it. Thanks!

Return to Firefox Builds