Azure Progress

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Omega X

Re: Azure Progress

Post by Omega X »

All of the tests I used were from the IE Testdrive site. Yes, 0-1% on the Microsoft version of the Asteroid Belt test. I didn't run the Kevs3d version at the time.

Kevs3d Asteroids:

Opera: 26fps / 1204
Fx7: 13fps / 610

Both IMO averaged about 20% cpu but Opera was the faster one. I'd have to retest for the latest fixes to Nightly.
StyleThing

Post by StyleThing »

I would love to see same tables for nightly Chrome vs
nightly Firefox, did anyone posted that yet? and if
it is, please point me at :)
Firefox Release | Win8.1 x64 | AMD 6300 4Ghz x6 | AMD R9 270 2 GB for 1080p IPS | 4 GB RAM
Theliel

Post by Theliel »

Chrome with GPU Accelerated Drawing and GPU Composition enabled. The most of all test have a lot of graphic issues anyway, GPU Accelerated Drawing it's useless in this moment
iceccold

Post by iceccold »

I just tried How Stuff Works and I get this:

Latest Nightly with Azure enabled
Revolutions per minute - around 33
Average draw time - around 82ms

Latest Nightly with Azure disabled
Revolutions per minute - around 46
Average draw time - around 57ms

IE10 Platform Preview 2
Revolutions per minute - around 57
Average draw time - around 40ms

Should I file a bug?
"We cannot have homeland security unless we understand that the whole planet is our homeland "
WonderCsabo

Post by WonderCsabo »

Yes.
iceccold

Post by iceccold »

"We cannot have homeland security unless we understand that the whole planet is our homeland "
Theliel

Post by Theliel »

iceccold, read my comment. Work fine for me, at least with latest hourly.
kilara1988

Post by kilara1988 »

Is hourly as stable as nightly?And is the hourly updating like the nightly trough help->about or i have to manually download it every time?Sry about the offtopic.
WonderCsabo

Post by WonderCsabo »

You have to manually install hourly releases, updates are only nightly. Of course hourly releases are not as stable as nightly ones.
reyncla

Post by reyncla »

iceccold

Post by iceccold »

Indeed, bug for that demo is Bug 564643 - liquid characters demo is very slow
Someone should confirm that we're even slower with Azure than it used to be.
Theliel

Post by Theliel »

Azure its a little more faster for me too. Not a radical change, buts clearly better (with Azure enabled)
KWierso

Post by KWierso »

kilara1988 wrote:Is hourly as stable as nightly?And is the hourly updating like the nightly trough help->about or i have to manually download it every time?Sry about the offtopic.

Nightly builds are just the most recent hourly build that actually built correctly at a given point in the night.
StyleThing

Post by StyleThing »

Theliel,
thanks for the comparation.
that's looking bad.. it's a pity we don't have good competition from Google Chrome's side 8-[
Firefox Release | Win8.1 x64 | AMD 6300 4Ghz x6 | AMD R9 270 2 GB for 1080p IPS | 4 GB RAM
Cru_N_cher

Post by Cru_N_cher »

Hehe yeah though they are bugged currently if it works it works ok and let us not forget they where the first with a full OS independent GPU Rendering Engine (officialy announced, also Mozilla announced that being fully OS independent but in the end they started to go @ first Microsoft concentrated but then also only Vista/7 in the beginning where even the old Project Manager said we need fully Hardware acceleration also for pre Vista/7 for maximum reach) so the bugs currently existing surely will be fixed and they on a good way to get also their own layer acceleration ready for the main rendering task, though that part is really bugged @ the moment.
You can say they just started the other way on this then Mozilla did first bringing in Canvas acceleration and later layer acceleration (though layer acceleration wasn't that important internaly @ all seen in the context that Tab Candy for example could have needed to get butter fluid animations and interaction via Canvas acceleration also on Pre Vista/7 via the GPU sadly that wasn't the case and a lot of potential users missed no one uses such a slow interface even if it's so powerful, imho 1 of the biggest mistakes done and even the Project Manager was saying before it was important to reach more then just Vista/7 user) Firefox did it the other way but the major difference Google tried to always keep OS independence where Mozilla drifted away to be almost entirely Microsoft NT 6 API independent and so Vista/7 only and that's still the case for Canvas acceleration which hopefully will change with Azure over the long run finally .
Opera currently runs less bugged and that with a Preview version from February so we just can wait to see a new Lab build which gonna bring some wows as i said they are the only ones that do Speed reading on Pre NT 6 with no problems in 6 seconds :) No one does that yet neither Google nor Mozilla and surely not Microsoft (5 month after Operas Vega Backend Lab Preview Release) ;)
And it's surprising even how Opera handles Performance even being non Platform Native on Windows with OpenGL Bass was entirely utilizing Microsofts API from the beginning and Opera known to normally do that started of with something not so close Native and gather some excellent Performance already (with some though hard to control GUI issues not running in a fully Native Windows context mixing OpenGL and Direct3D is not so efficient) now you can just wonder how crazy Performant their full Native Direct2d/Direct3d/DirectWrite part gonna be on Windows if they non natively get so good results in the Lab already except several GUI rendering issues i spoke off ;)

So IMHO the next time Opera releases some new Lab build with a updated Vega Backend they could be far ahead of the others (GPU Rendering Performance wise, and if they really get their base Performance and a clean Native API implementation done im pretty sure they even can beat IE10 as the first 3rd party Windows Browser, before actually Mozilla or Google will be able too) ;)